stubbojo
Zander
Zander

a pollocking good day afloat

Post by stubbojo »

DSCN1279.JPG
DSCN1278.JPG
DSCN1277.JPG
been afloat again this week had a cracking day pollocking on live sand-eels using the Portland rig , which is a very good rig in a strong current .
we got bit off 3 times so something down there with teeth ,plenty of good wrasse taking pirks and feathers , the bass fishing has yet to happen as no bass to the usual areas and the mackerel have gone again ,maybe thats why an absence of bass .....who knows .....

the boat has been running well done a bit of tweaking here and there, and a new battery seems to have sorted it out

thats guys for all the help with the boat issues :handshake:

regards steve :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: a pollocking good day afloat

Post by Mike J »

I cut my teeth in the race but you wont be catching much there these days, they've all been fished out by the commercials.
If you want bass your better off going where the Weymouth boats are fishing now.
Fished alongside them and had a 13 and my mate had a 16, both released, never saw the commercials release anything including several good doubles, they kept them all. Thats what they did off the 'bill and will do the same where they are fishing now.
When its all over they will be blaming the Belgium and French boats asking for financial support from the Gov. before going back to their painting and decorating jobs.

PM me if you want more.

Last edited by Mike J on Sat Jun 18 2022 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Good fishing Steve. :thumbs:

I really look forward to my annual sea fishing trip to the West of Ireland. My brother Rob had a cracking wrasse on a lure our first time out.

WP_20180813_10_30_27_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

John Milford wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 10:13 -
Good fishing Steve. :thumbs:

I really look forward to my annual sea fishing trip to the West of Ireland. My brother Rob had a cracking wrasse on a lure our first time out.

WP_20180813_10_30_27_Pro.jpg
good fun pollocking on a lightish spinning rod and 10lb line and a small sidewinder Sand-eel lure in white .......hold on ..... :thumbs:

been to Ireland a few times county mayo west port area ......fishing was out of this world many moons back but had Pollock to 21lbs and big cod and coalies

sharks,rays , even seen a basking shark close up ....i must find the pics .... :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 10:06 -
I cut my teeth in the race but you wont be catching much there these days, they've all been fished out by the commercials.
If you want bass your better off going where the Weymouth boats are fishing now.
Fished alongside them and had a 13 and my mate had a 16, both released, never saw the commercials release anything including caught several good doubles, they kept them all. Thats what they did off the 'bill and will do the same where they are fishing now.
When its all over they will be blaming the Belgium and French boats asking for financial support from the Gov. before going back to their painting and decorating jobs.

PM me if you want more.

cheers mike ....the fishing gets better for me in September for the bass.......
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 19:27 -
DSCN1279.JPGDSCN1278.JPGDSCN1277.JPG
been afloat again this week had a cracking day pollocking on live sand-eels using the Portland rig , which is a very good rig in a strong current .
we got bit off 3 times so something down there with teeth ,plenty of good wrasse taking pirks and feathers , the bass fishing has yet to happen as no bass to the usual areas and the mackerel have gone again ,maybe thats why an absence of bass .....who knows .....

the boat has been running well done a bit of tweaking here and there, and a new battery seems to have sorted it out

Nice fishing Steve, we have been out twice this week, never seen so many mackerel ! its thick with them everywhere, plus heaps of shoals of small bass under the working gulls, great fun on soft plastic lures. We also have heaps of tope up to 25lb, they are everywhere, even had one grab a strap conger i was bringing in. My guess is you are getting bitten off by tope.
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 10:06 -
Fished alongside them and had a 13 and my mate had a 16, both released, never saw the commercials release anything including caught several good doubles, they kept them all. Thats what they did off the 'bill and will do the same where they are fishing now.

PM me if you want more.

We have had the commercial bass rod and liners for about the last eight years on our local reefs, it most certainly isn't sustainable fishing, they have decimated the bigger bass population and now gone to pastures new, they are relentless day after day using livebaits and treble hooks, its actually nice not seeing them now !
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Alex Fox wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 15:02 -

Nice fishing Steve, we have been out twice this week, never seen so many mackerel ! its thick with them everywhere, plus heaps of shoals of small bass under the working gulls, great fun on soft plastic lures. We also have heaps of tope up to 25lb, they are everywhere, even had one grab a strap conger i was bringing in. My guess is you are getting bitten off by tope.
your probably right Alex think i will try a bit of tope fishing next time out .
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 23:58 -

You have more tastier options on the banks where the locals net their eels, the mussel beds or along the breakwater. For an arm ache the nearest wrecks should have porgies soon and then you have the blondes.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Sat Jun 18 2022 10:54 -

You have more tastier options on the banks where the locals net their eels, the mussel beds or along the breakwater. For an arm ache the nearest wrecks should have porgies soon and then you have the blondes.

at the moment the mackerel have buggered off , but before that there was plenty of tope in the area....and rays
been pre-occupied fishing for the pollock on the reefs , just waiting for the bass to turn up in numbers , we have had 2 bass one to me on a lure ,and one to my mate on live bait
but small schoolies .........things will only get better.. :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Jun 18 2022 14:16 -
Mike J wrote: Sat Jun 18 2022 10:54 -

at the moment the mackerel have buggered off , but before that there was plenty of tope in the area....and rays
been pre-occupied fishing for the pollock on the reefs , just waiting for the bass to turn up in numbers , we have had 2 bass one to me on a lure ,and one to my mate on live bait
but small schoolies .........things will only get better.. :thumbs:

I hope things do get better but its going to take a hell of a long time,
The big problem is there isn't a upper limit so the maximum size can only get smaller in the long term. We have one on Sea Trout so the only reason why there isn't one for bass must be commercial. Was it ever thus?

Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Great day out steve, and some good fish :grin:

You going off out our coast or wales? Need to do a little trip out in ours
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Just had news from my mate who has been talking to an old hand where his pebble is launched. It seems we've been steaming over the pollock and bass holding areas in our search for them. You can't beat a bit of local knowledge!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Could do with stocking up on mackerel. Any mackerel trips your way or can you catch from beach Alex?
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Jun 19 2022 17:56 -

Could do with stocking up on mackerel. Any mackerel trips your way or can you catch from beach Alex?
I don't think anyone does those mackerel type trips down here anymore, possibly Brighton, as for the shore, waste of time really as its very shallow compared to much of the coast, although Seaford is the exception, when the mackerel get there, there are lots off the beach. Its a long way for you to travel for some mackerel anyway ! but if you are ever down this way and the weather is right, just give me a shout and you would be welcome to a trip on my boat.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Alex Fox wrote: Sun Jun 19 2022 20:26 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sun Jun 19 2022 17:56 -

I don't think anyone does those mackerel type trips down here anymore, possibly Brighton, as for the shore, waste of time really as its very shallow compared to much of the coast, although Seaford is the exception, when the mackerel get there, there are lots off the beach. Its a long way for you to travel for some mackerel anyway ! but if you are ever down this way and the weather is right, just give me a shout and you would be welcome to a trip on my boat.
Thanks Alex :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jun 19 2022 17:13 -
Just had news from my mate who has been talking to an old hand where his pebble is launched. It seems we've been steaming over the pollock and bass holding areas in our search for them. You can't beat a bit of local knowledge!
spoke with a mate a few weeks back , he went out on a well known charter boat... on the way out they fished 8 wrecks and only had 1 fish on average one fish per wreck
he paid top dollar too, we fished out in my boat the same day actually me and two mates and we had a lot of fish to 7lb we went about a mile out and fished the shore line too for the bass, the charter boat went out 40 miles for one fish each ....

many years back an old chap told me you need to be about 15ft of water for bass , he used to go out on his own in the menia strights for donkeys years fishing just for bass
and how right he was and a lot shallower than that i try to fish mid water for the bass on lives normally about 8 or 9 foot under float tactics , but fish this about 25yards behind the boat on the drift or troll lures very slowly at that depth.......
your right bob there closer in than people think :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

fished off a rock mark the other day...... 2 dogfish 4 small Pollock and 1 mackerel and the a few wrasse hard going because of wind in yer face.....