ID for individual fish

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Dean0
Roach
Roach

ID for individual fish

Post by Dean0 »

Way back when I remember reading about being able to id pike from the mottled yellow patterns on their bodies.
Is that still the case. Comparing pics last night with 2 fish caught half a mile apart and 6 weeks between capures. Weights were similar . Both fish had a smallish head and although pics are rubbish the patterns behind the gills roughly match. However, the first pike had distinctive long standing damage to its tail fin (splits and a small notch).. the second didn't, just not sure if its the same fish? could head shape and body patterns be genetic.?????
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: ID for individual fish

Post by Mike J »

Yes you can ID pike from their markings. Its an interesting subject if you know you will be fishing the same water for some time.

For many years I would take pics of all my bigger fish, laying at my feet with the head facing left, simply for ID purposes. Some fish I was able to track through their adult lives as they grew or not, as some didn't grow at all.

Our river keeper is photographing big pike for tracking purposes, one fish was caught in consecutive days over a mile apart, last year he took a few snaps of one of mine which was an unknown and unmarked, where it came from or where it had spent its life who knows.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Dean0
Roach
Roach

Post by Dean0 »

Any idea if tail and fin damage can heal and repair in a few weeks
ken brooks
Perch
Perch

Post by ken brooks »

No mate, very unlikely.
Probably different fish.
And yes you can get very similar featured fish,
Probably the same year class.
ken brooks
Perch
Perch

Post by ken brooks »

Unless of course the fin damage was done on the second capture
Or maybe spawning damage in between captures.
Put the pic's on and maybe we can help.
Dean0
Roach
Roach

Post by Dean0 »

Thanks for advice . Swaying towards it being different fish.... First fish was Post spawning with light tail damage.
2nd fish was almost perfect.
Not keen on loading up full fish pics on a public forum. Plus they are only taken on a cheap phone so not so good. Might try to do some tight crops of the tails over the weekend and post them up.
Dean0
Roach
Roach

Post by Dean0 »

Here's some crops of the tails. The damaged tail was the first fish caught Note the splits in the tail and a notch missing from the bottom fin. This fish felt empty and I assumed had recently spawned. The second with cleaner looking fins was caught 5 or 6 weeks later. It looked /felt heavier but weighed roughly 1lb less.
sorry for the crap pics-keeping gear to a minimum due to the amount of walking involved. After 30 mins on the hoof I'm sure my 'lightweight' dlsr camera and tripod weighs more than a 30lb pike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ken brooks
Perch
Perch

Post by ken brooks »

Dean0 wrote: Sun Jun 19 2022 08:24 -
Here's some crops of the tails. The damaged tail was the first fish caught Note the splits in the tail and a notch missing from the bottom fin. This fish felt empty and I assumed had recently spawned. The second with cleaner looking fins was caught 5 or 6 weeks later. It looked /felt heavier but weighed roughly 1lb less.
sorry for the crap pics-keeping gear to a minimum due to the amount of walking involved. After 30 mins on the hoof I'm sure my 'lightweight' dlsr camera and tripod weighs more than a 30lb pike.
Same fish Dean.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Fin damage does heal as fins grow throughout the life of the fish. Long tears of the webbing between the boney rays are another matter and rarely close.

Some small minded clowns cut pieces off fins for their own reasons.
On a water I fish such a numpty appeared last year, the owner is more than furious and there is an all out effort for his identity when he will then find there is not just one water he is banned from.

Nice fish, well done.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Dean0
Roach
Roach

Post by Dean0 »

If you had the ' honour' of being the first to catch it and didn't want to eat it cutting chunks from the fins was also a French carp thing years ago. Pretty sure that didn't heal up quickly.
Gut feeling is, it is the same fish but casting doubt is the split tail. Pretty sure I checked the second one when she was on the bank and it was undamaged.

I've been really good and avoided the hot swim were I caught the first one to avoid a quick recapture Maybe I need to walk even further downstream to find a bigger one.. bugger!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

nice fish , just keep an eye on temps

24c here yesterday .... i know water temps will be lower but there getting up there...
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Dean0 wrote: Sun Jun 19 2022 08:24 -
cant really tell from the photos if its the same fish ....... :thumbs:
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

I done a lot of spots and lines checking over the years, bit like morse code really, it's the same fish imo. Rog
ken brooks
Perch
Perch

Post by ken brooks »

Roger5 wrote: Thu Jun 30 2022 12:03 -
I done a lot of spots and lines checking over the years, bit like morse code really, it's the same fish imo. Rog
:thumbs:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

ken brooks wrote: Tue Jul 12 2022 17:53 -
Roger5 wrote: Thu Jun 30 2022 12:03 -
:thumbs:
Agreed same fish
Dean0
Roach
Roach

Post by Dean0 »

ohh dear Not what I wanted to hear but I guess I had my suspicions. will just have to catch a much bigger one next year and ensure I get a better close up pic. Where's the best place for an ID pic, behind the gills or the root of the tail or somewhere else?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Dean0 wrote: Tue Jul 12 2022 22:37 -
ohh dear Not what I wanted to hear but I guess I had my suspicions. will just have to catch a much bigger one next year and ensure I get a better close up pic. Where's the best place for an ID pic, behind the gills or the root of the tail or somewhere else?

On the ground laying flat.
Stand with your feet just off the belly and ensure you get the whole fish in the frame.
And keep your hands steady or use the handshake damper if your camera has one.

Tip, they lay quieter with a wet towel over their eyes, leave a corner near your foot and slip it off just before you take the shot.

bio-haul
Roach
Roach

Post by bio-haul »

Always thought the 'cheek' pattern of markings was unique to each pike, not changing throughout its life