BFS/ULTRALIGHT BAITCASTER QUESTION

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

BFS/ULTRALIGHT BAITCASTER QUESTION

Post by gus666 »

Guys
We all know braid has revolutionized lure fishing, whether spinning, jerking, trolling or dropshotting. But I've seen a few guys on Youtube who are using mono instead on their ultralight multiplier set up. I can't really find out why, but I'm assuming it's because there's less chance of a birds nest with mono?
I've only recently bought a baitcaster/ultralight set up and used it once and got into a right bloody fankle. But I'm loathe to give up using briad.
I'm wondering if anyone has used mono on their set up and is it worth considering?
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Re: BFS/ULTRALIGHT BAITCASTER QUESTION

Post by Will Smith »

Some of the UL braids are very soft Gus, you need to stay away from them for really light stuff they wrap around everything very easily including the spool, what weights are you casting or trying to cast and what braid are you using at the minute ?
If the one you are using is one of the softer ones you could try a braid with a little bit more body or stiffness to it and see if that helps, but yes some guys do use mono, I have 3lb mono on one of my setups.

Will.
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

Will Smith wrote: Fri Jun 10 2022 22:09 -
Some of the UL braids are very soft Gus, you need to stay away from them for really light stuff they wrap around everything very easily including the spool, what weights are you casting or trying to cast and what braid are you using at the minute ?
If the one you are using is one of the softer ones you could try a braid with a little bit more body or stiffness to it and see if that helps, but yes some guys do use mono, I have 3lb mono on one of my setups.

Will.
I've loaded it with Spectra 10lb Will and you're right, it does get under the spool! I was casting a 2 gram jig head.
Did you persevere for a while with the braid before going to mono? I don't want to keep trying and ending up in a mess and NEVER master it lol
I'm assuming though, that the mono doesn't give you as good a feel of the lure's action/takes as the braid.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

gus666 wrote: Sat Jun 11 2022 17:15 -
Will Smith wrote: Fri Jun 10 2022 22:09 -

Will.
I've loaded it with Spectra 10lb Will and you're right, it does get under the spool! I was casting a 2 gram jig head.
Did you persevere for a while with the braid before going to mono? I don't want to keep trying and ending up in a mess and NEVER master it lol
I'm assuming though, that the mono doesn't give you as good a feel of the lure's action/takes as the braid.
10lb is a bit on the heavy side IMO Gus, I find that 6lb PP is OK for most applications, although I do have lighter braid on some of my really light outfits, can't remember the name of it.
What are you putting on the jig head, I expect that you are probably casting about 5 gm in total which should be easily cast on an ul outfit.
To be honest there are a lot of variables that also need to be taken into account and it does take some getting into, however, if you perceiver you will get there.
In all fairness casting a bare 2g with a bait caster is a bit optimistic, especially if you need to cast any distance, spoons and spinners maybe but, once you try the less aerodynamic cranks you may struggle.

Will.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Using a bait casting reel is not for everyone, some guys never get the hang of them others master them really quickly, my advice would be don't try to go too light too quickly work your way down, never cast with too much force a gentle swing is all that is required and keep the wind at your back, also your outfit needs to be balanced to the weight of lures that you are casting.
If you are determined you will get there and once you think you have found your limit as to how light a lure you can cast and if you still want to go lighter just use a fixed spool :thumbs:

Will.
bio-haul
Roach
Roach

Post by bio-haul »

gus666 wrote: Fri Jun 10 2022 21:50 -
Guys
We all know braid has revolutionized lure fishing, whether spinning, jerking, trolling or dropshotting. But I've seen a few guys on Youtube who are using mono instead on their ultralight multiplier set up. I can't really find out why, but I'm assuming it's because there's less chance of a birds nest with mono?
I've only recently bought a baitcaster/ultralight set up and used it once and got into a right bloody fankle. But I'm loathe to give up using briad.
I'm wondering if anyone has used mono on their set up and is it worth considering?
You don't mention which baitcaster reel you're using. Ideally it should be a BFS, or a standard baitcaster with a wiffle spool (if you can find one).
As others have mentioned, cast lightly, just using your wrist.

BTW, I use 0.13/20lb braid casting 3-5g. (Hate to think of kinked up mono from a bird's nest)
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Most bfs anglers choose FC as it's less inclined to bed in on the spool and peels off the spool with less friction, making casting easier.
It also sinks, enabling tiny lures to get down deeper.

As much as I enjoy using a baitcaster, I found it a pain in the a**e on days with even a bit of a breeze so rarely bother to take it out of the cupboard and take a fixed spool set up instead.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

bio-haul wrote: Sun Jun 12 2022 13:46 -
Guys
You don't mention which baitcaster reel you're using. Ideally it should be a BFS, or a standard baitcaster with a wiffle spool (if you can find one).
As others have mentioned, cast lightly, just using your wrist.

BTW, I use 0.13/20lb braid casting 3-5g. (Hate to think of kinked up mono from a bird's nest)
Yes it's a BFS baitcaster with wiffle spool.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jun 12 2022 21:34 -
Most bfs anglers choose FC as it's less inclined to bed in on the spool and peels off the spool with less friction, making casting easier.
It also sinks, enabling tiny lures to get down deeper.

As much as I enjoy using a baitcaster, I found it a pain in the a**e on days with even a bit of a breeze so rarely bother to take it out of the cupboard and take a fixed spool set up instead.
I can see that happening to me if this continues! But it's a lovely rod and reel set up, I'm sure I'll enjoy using it.
Perseverance needed I feel!!
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

As will said the very light braids are hard to cast with slighest breeze can catch them I started useing stronger min 8lb and a couple off feet off 4lb floro.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

fishder wrote: Tue Jun 14 2022 08:44 -
As will said the very light braids are hard to cast with slighest breeze can catch them I started useing stronger min 8lb and a couple off feet off 4lb floro.
I've got heavier braid, I think I'll try that before I move to mono!
:thumbs:
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

I service loads of the bfs reels from all over UK and Europe now and I've honestly never had one with braid on them Gus.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Tony McTaggart wrote: Tue Jun 14 2022 21:06 -
I service loads of the bfs reels from all over UK and Europe now and I've honestly never had one with braid on them Gus.
That's very interesting Tony. I know how many reels you service so that's food for thought.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Wondering if Nanofil might be the solution?
Anyone used it?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Tbh I'd just use FC or mono. Casting distances are pretty short so the stretchiness is negligible.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jun 15 2022 12:48 -
Tbh I'd just use FC or mono. Casting distances are pretty short so the stretchiness is negligible.
Good point!
I suppose the next question is "which fluro?"
I use Fulling Mill for all my fluro leaders but should I consider something different for casting?
:shrug:
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Get good light fluoro and respool every couple of trips 😂😂😂
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

gus666 wrote: Wed Jun 15 2022 17:59 -
Good point!
I use Fulling Mill for all my fluro leaders but should I consider something different for casting?
Sunline Shooter FC Sniper
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Guys

A lure used with mono will run more true (flat) whereas the same lure used with braid runs at an upward angle. It will also sink faster, at a different angle and pull more line beneath the surface than the same lure fished with braid.
The lure on braid tends to pull the line back and down the area where it landed. I would even suggest that with a very light lure, size 1 or 2 Mepps the lure is actually sinking almost vertically such is the buoyancy of braid.
This salmon season I have been fishing Mepps spinners in 3&4 size and once the water cleared the differences above were very noticeable. Even a size 5 Mepps ran at an apx. 15degree angle on 22lb braid.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Ian Crook wrote: Mon Jun 20 2022 22:12 -
Good point!
Cheers big man!!
:grin:
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jun 21 2022 09:33 -
Guys

A lure used with mono will run more true (flat) whereas the same lure used with braid runs at an upward angle. It will also sink faster, at a different angle and pull more line beneath the surface than the same lure fished with braid.
The lure on braid tends to pull the line back and down the area where it landed. I would even suggest that with a very light lure, size 1 or 2 Mepps the lure is actually sinking almost vertically such is the buoyancy of braid.
This salmon season I have been fishing Mepps spinners in 3&4 size and once the water cleared the differences above were very noticeable. Even a size 5 Mepps ran at an apx. 15degree angle on 22lb braid.

When I first started using ultralight lures with a FS reel I used Stren sinking braid but it was a nightmare for wind knots.
Very interesting what you say Mike, coz I do use very light spinners for perch and sometimes I feel they're just not performing the way they should.
So I'll be getting some fluoro and giving it a blast!
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Good point!
Christ on a moped!! The price of that stuff!!!!
:afraid: :afraid: :afraid:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

gus666 wrote: Tue Jun 21 2022 12:09 -
Good point!
Anything bfs is expensive!
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Daniel wrote: Tue Jun 21 2022 16:44 -
gus666 wrote: Tue Jun 21 2022 12:09 -
Good point!
Anything bfs is expensive!
So far I've found things to be just as I expected, but that flouro is extortionate!
:pale:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Guys
Just use a fixed spool mate. Using a baitcaster for UL or BFS is like fishing with one hand tied around your nuts. I never get why people try to do it. All the inherent issues are more or less negated with a fixed spool. But, each to their own I suppose, as some folk probably like making life difficult for themselves. The only time I use light lines is for vertical jigging and that's just to gain depth/control, without adding weight. e.g. Kairiki 8 braid in 6.5kg BS is only 0.1mm diameter. That's f*****g thin!
Piking Plonker
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 22:39 -
Guys
Just use a fixed spool mate. Using a baitcaster for UL or BFS is like fishing with one hand tied around your nuts. I never get why people try to do it. All the inherent issues are more or less negated with a fixed spool. But, each to their own I suppose, as some folk probably like making life difficult for themselves. The only time I use light lines is for vertical jigging and that's just to gain depth/control, without adding weight. e.g. Kairiki 8 braid in 6.5kg BS is only 0.1mm diameter. That's f*****g thin!
I’m with Mark on this one, a pointless fashion trend driven by ex carp anglers who like blinging up kit!! 😂
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

IMO, it just depends on how light you would like to cast with a bait casting set up, there does come a point at when I feel am fighting a loosing battle, my lightest setups are rigged with fixed spool reels.
I do however enjoy using thumb bar release bait caster whenever possible, just my preference but, I do find them nicer to use.

Will.
Last edited by Will Smith on Thu Jun 23 2022 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Ian Crook wrote: Thu Jun 23 2022 13:23 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 22:39 -
Guys
I’m with Mark on this one, a pointless fashion trend driven by ex carp anglers who like blinging up kit!! 😂
I'm going to try it but if it ends up annoying me then I'm going back to FS.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Jun 23 2022 19:16 -
IMO, it just depends on how light you would like to cast with a bait casting set up, there does come a point at when I feel am fighting a loosing battle, my lightest setups are rigged with fixed spool reels.
I do however enjoy using thumb bar release bait caster whenever possible, just me preference but, I do find them nicer to use.

Will.
I often drift in the boat and bump a jig along the bottom and the thumb bar is great for that. But Then, there's not really much casting involved!
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Jun 23 2022 19:16 -
I do however enjoy using thumb bar release bait caster whenever possible, just me preference but, I do find them nicer to use.

Will.
Me too mate, I very rarely take a spinning rod out, but if I were wanting to wander down a canal bank with sub 7g lures I’d be using a UL Spinning rod