stubbojo
Zander
Zander

why are there so many dogfish

Post by stubbojo »

DSCN1310.JPG
DSCN1309.JPG
DSCN1307.JPG
fished another rock mark , every cast produced a dogfish .
normally rays are caught on this venue , fished sand-eel on a pennel rig at range , no mackerel , just the odd small Pollock on a lure rod ..
would have been better to boat fish today as the sea went flat half way through the session
still good fun .... :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Re: why are there so many dogfish

Post by Taffypiker »

Loads of doggies here in South Wales, I do like catching them though , I think they are beautiful fish . Quite a lot of bull huss about too .
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

b*****d things been a pain over on the east coast too(along with whiting) . Been getting to the baits before the rays and hounds for me loads this year
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Mon Jun 20 2022 20:28 -
DSCN1310.JPGDSCN1309.JPGDSCN1307.JPG

fished another rock mark , every cast produced a dogfish .
normally rays are caught on this venue , fished sand-eel on a pennel rig at range , no mackerel , just the odd small Pollock on a lure rod ..
would have been better to boat fish today as the sea went flat half way through the session
still good fun .... :thumbs:
Im out this week, evening and night on the rocks. Dogfish city last time but will see whats lurking this time. Neap tides so maybe some conger as its very deep where I'm headed.

Least you're catching Steve, the pollock look good fun on light gear
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

try to catch some smallish bait fish for the congers , wrasse,whiting, Pollock ...if you use mackerel ..the doggies are all over it .... even large flappers
i find wrasse a good conger bait.....if using mackerel i tend not to cut into it as it attracts doggies .......sometimes you just cant dodge the doggies no matter what bait
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Mon Jun 20 2022 22:52 -
b*****d things been a pain over on the east coast too(along with whiting) . Been getting to the baits before the rays and hounds for me loads this year
some venues are an absolute nightmare for doggies me and my mate years back had a contest who could catch the most doggies
we had over 80 between us on a all night session for congers .......
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Why so many, because you are fishing in the wrong place, on the bottom!

Strips of doggie flesh under a float might get you something better but you certainly wouldn't get doggied up.
Tope certainly like them so no reason why they would not work for conger.

Last edited by Mike J on Wed Jun 22 2022 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: ↑Tue Jun 21 2022 08:39 -
Why so many, because you are fishing in the wrong place, on the bottom!

Strips of doggie flesh under a float might get you something better but you certainly wouldn't get doggied up.
Tope certainly like them so no reason why they would work for a conger.

when fishing for other species , say on rag worm or lug ,crab , on the bottom the doggies find them first ......as they must be very numerous
but like you say fish your baits under a float and its fish all day long ........ :thumbs: because your off the bottom
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

because everything else is netted and killed leaving the little s***s to feast
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Mon Jun 20 2022 23:47 -
try to catch some smallish bait fish for the congers , wrasse,whiting, Pollock ...if you use mackerel ..the doggies are all over it .... even large flappers
i find wrasse a good conger bait.....if using mackerel i tend not to cut into it as it attracts doggies .......sometimes you just cant dodge the doggies no matter what bait
I'll try that steve, nice one! Not sure about the wrasse tho, the lure angler in me wants to put em back 🀣

You Must've been f****d after 80 doggies! Shame they're not a sought after fish

www.eplures.com
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

thats betwween 2 of us probably 10 hours fishing its alive with doggies but good congers very close in in deep water...
caught a huge tadpole fish probably over the record years back never bothered to claim it .........
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

been out to a shallow reef on the feathered pirks
DSCN1313.JPG
DSCN1312.JPG
never seen so many coalies like catching mackerel 6 at a time but small.....had a few mackerel too also had quite a few codling . no monsters....:thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

LB wrote: ↑Tue Jun 21 2022 11:24 -
because everything else is netted and killed leaving the little s***s to feast
They were bad 40 odd years ago...back when you could fill a boat with cod only half a mile out on the NE coast
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22 2022 09:45 -
been out to a shallow reef on the feathered pirks DSCN1313.JPGDSCN1312.JPG
never seen so many coalies like catching mackerel 6 at a time but small.....had a few mackerel too also had quite a few codling . no monsters....:thumbs:
Well i had an eel mate, only a small one but that's my first targetted one. Id say ive only just started fishing the right tackle and rigs. Only ever rarely lobbed out some random rig to the horizon before now. Actually really enjoyed it! But as you said, i also had a million doggies 🀣 if i get there earlier next time I'll try for some fresh bait as you suggested.

What stole the show was this morning, i decided to chuck a few lures about before going home and had a lovely wrasse on a texas rigged creature bait! Put up a right scrap on a 20g lure rod :woot:

Also foul hooked a lobster on the other rod, lovely thing it was so went back.

I'll be back soon for more :cheers:

www.eplures.com
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lukemilnes wrote: ↑Thu Jun 23 2022 20:42 -
stubbojo wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22 2022 09:45 -
been out to a shallow reef on the feathered pirks DSCN1313.JPGDSCN1312.JPG
Well i had an eel mate, only a small one but that's my first targetted one. Id say ive only just started fishing the right tackle and rigs. Only ever rarely lobbed out some random rig to the horizon before now. Actually really enjoyed it! But as you said, i also had a million doggies 🀣 if i get there earlier next time I'll try for some fresh bait as you suggested.

What stole the show was this morning, i decided to chuck a few lures about before going home and had a lovely wrasse on a texas rigged creature bait! Put up a right scrap on a 20g lure rod :woot:

Also foul hooked a lobster on the other rod, lovely thing it was so went back.

I'll be back soon for more :cheers:
good mixed bag there, i would have been tempted taking the lobster :veryevil: wrasse put up a surprising fight on a lure, and you caught your target a conger
well in :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

managed another day out on the boat , sea like glass and very hot and muggy......took me awhile to find some bait fish then headed for a nearby reef
DSCN1321.JPG
DSCN1319.JPG
also had cod,coalies and a lot of small Pollock and another plateful of mackerel :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

will be having ago with the fly rod next time out on the boat as some of the bigger Pollock were chasing the baits to the surface when winding in .........