Pigeon shooting

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Pigeon shooting

Post by davelumb »

No footage of the shooting but facts about how many get shot and how people moan. From 19:53 if the video doesn't start there automatically.

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Pigeon shooting

Post by Mike J »

Thanks for posting.

Typical of townies who move into the countryside then complain about what happens there.

I was told by a new arrival that I couldn't put cattle in a field because it was a corn field. This despite the fact it had perviously been a stock field and had been under sown with rye grass. No that counted for nothing, she had bought a house overlooking a corn field and it must remain like that, according to her.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

6000 birds in 10 days !
That is some going :guns: , they clearly have a huge problem in that area.
Unfortunately with fewer children/youngsters coming into the shooting scene these day there are not going to be enough people willing to do this in years to come, farmers will then have to pay for professional pest control guys to do the job for them.

Will.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

In some of his other videos you see huge flocks taking off when he disturbs them, and the damage they do.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 18 2022 09:25 -
Thanks for posting.

Typical of townies who move into the countryside then complain about what happens there.

I was told by a new arrival that I couldn't put cattle in a field because it was a corn field. This despite the fact it had perviously been a stock field and had been under sown with rye grass. No that counted for nothing, she had bought a house overlooking a corn field and it must remain like that, according to her.

:dizzy:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 18 2022 09:25 -
Thanks for posting.

fields rotate mike , as you know .....thats townies for you ...idiots who dont know country ways.... :handshake:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

does anybody know...... can you just go out and shoot wood pigeon say on a stubble field.......
was told by a mate its not as simple as that now ...my mate nearly got arrested shooting woodies
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Jul 19 2022 15:16 -
does anybody know...... can you just go out and shoot wood pigeon say on a stubble field.......
was told by a mate its not as simple as that now ...my mate nearly got arrested shooting woodies
Those shooters don't seem to have a problem. But they might not be shooting over a stubble field.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Will Smith wrote: Mon Jul 18 2022 10:26 -
6000 birds in 10 days !
That is some going :guns: , they clearly have a huge problem in that area.
Unfortunately with fewer children/youngsters coming into the shooting scene these day there are not going to be enough people willing to do this in years to come, farmers will then have to pay for professional pest control guys to do the job for them.

Will.
its not just shortage of youngsters will , every thing has changed regarding pigeon shooting apparently you cant just go out and shoot woodies on a stubble field
something to do with the general licence on vermin ....its classed as indiscriminate shooting of wildlife ....mr packham had a big influence on this act getting passed 2019
plus the farmers get a tidy subsidence for pigeon damage ................not got the full storey on it yet..
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

davelumb wrote: Tue Jul 19 2022 15:31 -
Those shooters don't seem to have a problem. But they might not be shooting over a stubble field.
think they were shooting over **** seed oil crop 6000 is a lot by anybodys standards , mind you i knew a guy who shoot 700 in a day about 700 were picked up.. but there would have been more that fell out of bounds..so probably more where shot that day .........
sorry my mistake it was 3 shooters they shot over 700 pigeon ,cant remember the guys name , but he was in shooting times .... red letter day on pigeon ......i was a few fields away

just there to keep the pigeons moving so they would not settle in ......shot quite a lot myself that day .....just passing birds :thumbs:
Last edited by stubbojo on Wed Jul 20 2022 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Jul 19 2022 16:04 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Jul 19 2022 15:31 -
think they were shooting over **** seed oil crop 6000 is a lot by anybodys standards , mind you i knew a guy who shoot 700 in a day about 700 were picked up.. but there would have been more that fell out of bounds..so probably more where shot that day .........

From memory I recollect he said the 6k were shot over two weeks. At a modest 150/day for four guns it wouldn't take long to get that many. I shot a three counties record in six hours and + 200 with my Father the following afternoon without really shooting that well.
The ripening rap# seed would constitute a valuable crop so shooting would certainly act as a deterrent while those shot could be sold to a game dealer. On big farms staff will do it as part of their employment, cartridges supplied by the farm from bale hides built after drilling.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

before covid one of my mates was going to pay 100 quid for a days pigeon shooting , they set everything up ...hide decoys ,lunch and carry you around on a quad ......
he said they have a lot of germans, french ,and Italians with the wonger willing to pay..........
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

This is probably to do with the terms of the general licence and not knowing what they actually are when challenged by the police.

Following on from Wild Justice and Chris Packham making a legal challenge, the terms of the general licence for shooting certain species as pest control got more specific.
Best bet is look at the BASC website for the current rules. Last time I checked it was fine as long as it was for crop protection, shooting stubbles is an efficient method when across a wider area there are fields that still have standing crops but are not possible to shoot/ pick up dead birds properly.

Haven't been out on the pigeons this year due to work but I used to do a lot of decoying at the request of farmers I know.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

fenland piker wrote: Mon Jul 25 2022 09:23 -
This is probably to do with the terms of the general licence and not knowing what they actually are when challenged by the police.

Following on from Wild Justice and Chris Packham making a legal challenge, the terms of the general licence for shooting certain species as pest control got more specific.
Best bet is look at the BASC website for the current rules. Last time I checked it was fine as long as it was for crop protection, shooting stubbles is an efficient method when across a wider area there are fields that still have standing crops but are not possible to shoot/ pick up dead birds properly.

Haven't been out on the pigeons this year due to work but I used to do a lot of decoying at the request of farmers I know.
apparently i am led to believe shooting over stubble is illegal as the field has been harvested and no fresh seed on the ground ......its such a grey area .....
just cant get the proper info , my mate spoke to the basc ,but they would not commit a proper answer , but he has spoken to somebody in the wildlife police force
and he said you cannot shoot over stubble .....who do you believe
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Plenty pigeon getting shot up here and 40p each of the game dealers isn’t too bad :thumbs:
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Jul 25 2022 18:49 -
fenland piker wrote: Mon Jul 25 2022 09:23 -

apparently i am led to believe shooting over stubble is illegal as the field has been harvested and no fresh seed on the ground ......its such a grey area .....
just cant get the proper info , my mate spoke to the basc ,but they would not commit a proper answer , but he has spoken to somebody in the wildlife police force
and he said you cannot shoot over stubble .....who do you believe
General licence GL42- no reference to fresh seed on the ground. Shooting over stubble is an effective manner for managing pigeon populations in an area. If shooting as per the wording of the licence then it shouldn't be an issue. Only need to show that other methods have been tried or would be ineffective.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ous-damage
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

piker al wrote: Mon Jul 25 2022 20:04 -
Plenty pigeon getting shot up here and 40p each of the game dealers isn’t too bad :thumbs:

40p that is robbery.
When I was really knocking them down my dealer paid 1/9p and it cost 1shilling a shot if you bought a 1000, even less when they were rabbit clearance. At those rates a single cartridge should cost apx 25p (haven't a clue as not bought any for ages).

Ive seen pigeon on menus at between £8-£10 per portion, would rather eat salad than pigeon whichever way it was cooked!

piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 26 2022 11:01 -

40p that is robbery.
When I was really knocking them down my dealer paid 1/9p and it cost 1shilling a shot if you bought a 1000, even less when they were rabbit clearance. At those rates a single cartridge should cost apx 25p (haven't a clue as not bought any for ages).

Ive seen pigeon on menus at between £8-£10 per portion, would rather eat salad than pigeon whichever way it was cooked!

40p more than u get for a pheasant Mike :laughs:
Best money is for rifle head shot rabbits £3.50 each
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

piker al wrote: Tue Jul 26 2022 16:38 -

40p that is robbery.

I spoke to a farm manager recently and he was telling me about his stalkers not being able to sell the venison because the demand is so low.
Country (towns and cities) full of white meat only brown bread salad munchers!

piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jul 27 2022 10:49 -
piker al wrote: Tue Jul 26 2022 16:38 -

40p that is robbery.

I spoke to a farm manager recently and he was telling me about his stalkers not being able to sell the venison because the demand is so low.
Country (towns and cities) full of white meat only brown bread salad munchers!

Aye the game dealers wouldn’t take wild venison up here last year but there must be a bit of demand again £40 for a good clean Roe buck
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

The total shot over 3.5 weeks or so is now over 11,000!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

davelumb wrote: Wed Jul 27 2022 20:29 -
thats a incredible amount of wood pigeon dave
where is the area where they have shot that amount do you know by any chance .....
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

40p that is robbery.

apparently good when cooked in a slow cooker for 10 hours ........
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

my mate loves pigeon , but thats nothing to go by ,as he would eat is own unlaundered underpants....
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Jul 27 2022 23:01 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Jul 27 2022 20:29 -
thats a incredible amount of wood pigeon dave
where is the area where they have shot that amount do you know by any chance .....
He farms at Tarbock, https://goo.gl/maps/N6msHJn43TF9UFhc9

Not sure exactly where the pigoeon are though as he has land in different places, some by the Mersey. He said in the video where he mentions the 11,000 that there are still more pigeons coming in!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

13,000 now.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

One problem some arable farmers are suffering this year is the ripened heads are going over and breaking off. If thats what the birds are on then there is no end to the numbers that will drawn in.

Another reason could be the stalks are so short the birds can walk amongst them and pull the heads down and what happened to many crops in the '76 summer. Back then we didn't have the time to shoot (I managed one day) because we were concentrating on getting it in before the weather broke.

Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Just breast them out, and pan fry 😋
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Roger5 wrote: Mon Oct 17 2022 16:05 -
Absolutely. Nice and rare - juicy and gamey. Delicious :thumbs:

My mate shoots them often. I take the ones shot with an air rifle, but can't be arsed picking the shot out of them if they've been downed with a 12 bore.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Oct 17 2022 16:32 -
Roger5 wrote: Mon Oct 17 2022 16:05 -
Absolutely. Nice and rare - juicy and gamey. Delicious :thumbs:

My mate shoots them often. I take the ones shot with an air rifle, but can't be arsed picking the shot out of them if they've been downed with a 12 bore.
years back me and a mate was goose shooting , we both shot once at the same time , different areas , he was sure he had downed it with his winchester bbs shot
i just grabbed a cartridge out of my pocket , mixed in my cartriges was a clay cartridge no 8 .....
guess who shot was in the goose ...when plucked mine ,just one pellet in its head just above its eye , and it was a very high bird , best shot i ever made .....
my mate wouldn't have it , even though i dug the pellet out for him .......... :pipe: