Flylines for big flies

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
xenia
Private
Private

Flylines for big flies

Post by xenia » Wed May 16 2018 11:31

I'm thinking of buying a new #9 intermediate line for pike - big flies on canal, river and lakes.

I'm looking at:

Airflo Sniper
Rio Outbound Short
Guideline Pike
Vision Big Mama

Does anyone have any experience or advice with these lines and any opinion which is best?

Cheers

Xen

Esoxuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Flylines for big flies

Post by Esoxuk » Wed May 16 2018 11:36

The Rio Outbound short is an easy casting line, I would also get one a weight higher rated than the rod.
So for a 9 weight rod I would use a 10 weight line.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

bigaldo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bigaldo » Thu May 17 2018 07:05

10 weight minimum. Loading the rod with a line above is a good idea especially with floating lines. I use an 11 on my 10 weights.
"Alll the battles are won, but I'm still on the run"

lakefisher
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by lakefisher » Thu May 17 2018 10:55

The Rio outbound short is manufactured to be over the normal AFTM rating - buy the one that is rated for your rod, 9 for a 9 - 10 for a 10.
You might also have a look at SKB's predator flylines (which as it happens I helped to design) - also slightly "overrated," so likewise buy the one rated for your rod.
Find them here http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=pr ... th=114_140

HTH ..... Tony

Slug
Captain
Captain

Post by Slug » Thu May 17 2018 14:56

I've used the snipers, big daddy and guideline. The guidelines I rate the most The different sink rates as you travel towards the tip are perfect. And they don't have the ridges that burn your fingers playing fish.

PaulBrindle
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PaulBrindle » Thu May 17 2018 17:18

Rio in touch musky are worth a look, they do a floater with inter tip which are excellent 👍
Get the same weight as your rod if you go for one.

DavyMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by DavyMc » Sat May 19 2018 07:38

Had a sniper, rio and daddy, would probably only bother with the sniper now and rio broke up in less than a year. My next line will be one of these
https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-pred ... lines.html
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"

bigaldo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bigaldo » Mon May 21 2018 07:02

Bit posh that Mr MacInally. Let me know if they are any good when you get one. My 11 quid line was really good yesterday!
"Alll the battles are won, but I'm still on the run"

DavyMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by DavyMc » Mon May 21 2018 07:39

bigaldo wrote:
Bit posh that Mr MacInally. Let me know if they are any good when you get one. My 11 quid line was really good yesterday!
You can cast ole washing line :laughs: talkin of which he's gave up selling btw!
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"

xenia
Private
Private

Post by xenia » Sun May 27 2018 14:01

Following comments here, I have just bought the Sniper, Coldwater intermediate in a #9 WF. I have tried it on the canal with my #8/9 Airflo Bluetec Nano and it is very good. It definitely helps get turnover and distance with big flies. I'll probably get a floater too.
One thing to note if you are thinking of getting one is that it has a very long running line and is quite bulky - even for a #9 (it does not actually fit properly in the plastic spool it comes on). I put it on a #8/9 rated reel and it was too tight. I then put it on a magnum sizes salmon reel I had spare - fits nicely. I took off a floating #11 WF salmon line to make way for the Sniper. When I wound this #11 onto the plastic spool that the Sniper was supplied on - for storage, it only filled 80% of the plastic spool - illustrating how bulky the Sniper is.
I'm keen to give the Sniper a bit of a distance chuck on a lake - might try Chew.

Graham Owen
Private
Private

Post by Graham Owen » Tue May 29 2018 19:24

The floating sniper line takes up even more spool volume...