Painting a boat

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel

Painting a boat

Post by RAB-HENDO » Thu May 17 2018 17:34

Troops
We are going too repaint our 16ft mayland soon,,,my question is what is the best way too give it a rub down???

We are obviously going too power wash it first but some t*t years back coated the top half with clear varnish! Any info much appreciated

Cheers RabπŸ‘πŸ»
DANCES WAE PIKE

fergie68
Major
Major

Re: Painting a boat

Post by fergie68 » Thu May 17 2018 17:51

I will be interested in the replies to this one my boats in need of a paint job too but seems to be peeling in patches which come off clean but solid in other spots.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

Ian Crook
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Ian Crook » Thu May 17 2018 20:14

RAB-HENDO wrote: ↑
Troops
We are going too repaint our 16ft mayland soon,,,my question is what is the best way too give it a rub down???

We are obviously going too power wash it first but some t*t years back coated the top half with clear varnish! Any info much appreciated

Cheers RabπŸ‘πŸ»
I’d just give Gus a sheet of sandpaper and say β€œsee ya later, I’m off to the pub, should I bring ye back some chips?” πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Fentiger01
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Fentiger01 » Thu May 17 2018 20:33

fergie68 wrote: ↑
I will be interested in the replies to this one my boats in need of a paint job too but seems to be peeling in patches which come off clean but solid in other spots.
Did mine this time last year Fergie, I'm certainly no professional painter bud as it's more than a little flaky in certain areas now.....

On the plus side, it still floats a treat! :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
"The EU is the old Soviet Union but dressed in Western clothes" - Mikhail Gorbachev

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Thu May 17 2018 21:51

Orbital sander with 100 grit paper. You are just aiming to key it up so don't press on too hard. What type of base is the previous paint? What type of paint are you going to use? I'd go for a 2-part yachting epoxy primer. Primers are matt finish so if you ever need to do repairs you can repaint the repair area without it standing out. Gloss is a nightmare as it shows every little imperfection. Before and after sanding wipe it down with acetone.
Just masked the water line on one of mine. Launched it off the trailer on to old tyres and winched it over on to its side to sand and paint each side of the lower hull in turn.
water_line.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fergie68
Major
Major

Post by fergie68 » Thu May 17 2018 23:35

Mine started with just the odd wee blister but it's coming off now at a alarming rate .It's as if the fibreglass underneath is rejecting the paint which is proper two part paint for boats.

FEROX 85 GROUP

fergie68
Major
Major

Post by fergie68 » Thu May 17 2018 23:39

Fentiger01 wrote: ↑
fergie68 wrote: ↑
Did mine this time last year Fergie, I'm certainly no professional painter bud as it's more than a little flaky in certain areas now.....

On the plus side, it still floats a treat! :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
I didn't sand the whole thing just the bits where the paint had already flaked . Looks really shitty now. Problem is I don't have anywhere to take it so it's done in the garden.
At least mine still floats too :laughs: :thumbs:

FEROX 85 GROUP

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Fri May 18 2018 08:22

As Andrew says, a good key is important and a wipe over afterwards with white spirit or similar to remove any dust residues.
Apply paint with a roller and brush out with a good quality brush. Take care where you start the painting as you will probably be going around the hull and the first application will start to harden by the time you have gone all the way round the hull. In this case you will see the joint (if that makes sense face)
Good luck
Incumbam, et sternebant

keith the piker
Private
Private

Post by keith the piker » Fri May 18 2018 10:33

I've renovated several boats now and have to say that there is sadly no alternative but to apply a lot of brute force ... after the initial removal of anything flaking I sand down with wet and dry paper, used wet and by hand. It sounds like more work than it actually is in practice! This way, you are sure of achieving a good matt key for the priming coat. I then wipe down one side of the hull with white spirit before applying primer. I personally prefer to use boat paints rather than the two part epoxy finishes, (a) as it is easier to apply and (b) because it works! I now use International boat paints - 2 coats of Pre-Kote, lightly sanding down between them and then a top coat. I also think it is critical to do the painting in dry but not too hot conditions as any hint of dampness is a sure fire killer of a good and lasting finish ... I live in the far frozen North so that gives me about 1.5 days per year in which to paint!

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RAB-HENDO » Fri May 18 2018 16:44

Cheers folks🀝
DANCES WAE PIKE

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Fri May 18 2018 19:01

I personally prefer to use boat paints rather than the two part epoxy finishes, (a) as it is easier to apply and (b) because it works! I now use International boat paints - 2 coats of Pre-Kote, lightly sanding down between them and then a top coat.

+1 :thumbs:
Incumbam, et sternebant

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RAB-HENDO » Fri May 18 2018 19:47

That’s the plan Andy. Dover whiteπŸ‘πŸ»
DANCES WAE PIKE

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sat May 19 2018 21:56

Been at mine today. Just keying up the hull below the water line before painting one side at a time. 2-part boat expoxies aren't cheap and are more fuss to apply as you need to wear a vapour mask etc, but are the most durable by a country mile.
water_line_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RAB-HENDO » Tue May 22 2018 18:27

Thinking of getting a orbital sander for the hull,,, it’s a bit of a mess. Any tips on the grades of paper too look at folks?
DANCES WAE PIKE

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RAB-HENDO » Tue May 22 2018 18:29

Fook just looked back. Cheers AndrewπŸ‘πŸ»
DANCES WAE PIKE

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Tue May 22 2018 19:51

If the hull is rough you might want to go to 60 grit for the first go-over then go down it with 100. Just take the old paint off, not the gel coat. If there's any cracks they'll need to be assessed to get an idea if it's just the gel coat that's cracked or if the crack continues in the glass. Make sure the paint you use has a degree of flexibility when hardened. Both single and 2 pack boat hull paints will have some flex. Be sure to use paint suited to below the water-line too - not all are.

cooky
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by cooky » Wed May 23 2018 18:57

need a gel coat water it down a little with resin and add some wax

cooky
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by cooky » Wed May 23 2018 18:59

andrew_nagel wrote: ↑
Been at mine today. Just keying up the hull below the water line before painting one side at a time. 2-part boat expoxies aren't cheap and are more fuss to apply as you need to wear a vapour mask etc, but are the most durable by a country mile.

water_line_02.jpg

you dont need a mask lol be a man im a fibreglass sprayer and we dont wear masks :)

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Wed May 23 2018 20:35

cooky wrote: ↑
andrew_nagel wrote: ↑

water_line_02.jpg

you dont need a mask lol be a man im a fibreglass sprayer and we dont wear masks :)
You should use a mask for painting with epoxy if you don't want painters-brain! :narfuk:

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Wed May 23 2018 20:44

Used Hempel Light Primer epoxy. It's a race painting in this heat as the paint starts skinning really quickly. 2 coats done. It'll get 3.
water_line_03.jpg

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Wed May 23 2018 22:54

Mint job Andrew :thumbs:
Wine for my men, we ride at dawn

fergie68
Major
Major

Post by fergie68 » Fri May 25 2018 08:22

keith the piker wrote: ↑
I've renovated several boats now and have to say that there is sadly no alternative but to apply a lot of brute force ... after the initial removal of anything flaking I sand down with wet and dry paper, used wet and by hand. It sounds like more work than it actually is in practice! This way, you are sure of achieving a good matt key for the priming coat. I then wipe down one side of the hull with white spirit before applying primer. I personally prefer to use boat paints rather than the two part epoxy finishes, (a) as it is easier to apply and (b) because it works! I now use International boat paints - 2 coats of Pre-Kote, lightly sanding down between them and then a top coat. I also think it is critical to do the painting in dry but not too hot conditions as any hint of dampness is a sure fire killer of a good and lasting finish ... I live in the far frozen North so that gives me about 1.5 days per year in which to paint!

Who do you use for your paints. ❓ Any chance of a link.
Cheers

FEROX 85 GROUP

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RAB-HENDO » Sat Jun 09 2018 19:15

Got the tub all ready too paint. Buffed tae fook😷ordered window seal trims and fender. Any tips on fender installation ???
Thought it could need heated up slightly πŸ€”???
DANCES WAE PIKE

Malc Green
Captain
Captain

Post by Malc Green » Sat Jun 09 2018 19:51

RAB-HENDO wrote: ↑
Got the tub all ready too paint. Buffed tae fook😷ordered window seal trims and fender. Any tips on fender installation ???
Thought it could need heated up slightly πŸ€”???
I used hot water to make the fender more pliable it's a mare to do it cold. I loaned a baby berco water heater and rolled the lot in the hot water gloves a must and would advise two of you doing it a rubber mallet helps to snug down onto the lip.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sat Jun 09 2018 21:16

What Malc said.

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RAB-HENDO » Mon Jun 25 2018 16:33

Cheers again. 2nd coat going on tomorrow. Costs are mounting πŸ˜†
DANCES WAE PIKE

fergie68
Major
Major

Post by fergie68 » Mon Jun 25 2018 17:40

What paint did you go for Rab. ❓

FEROX 85 GROUP

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RAB-HENDO » Mon Jun 25 2018 18:21

Let you know tomorrow m8. M8 bought that
DANCES WAE PIKE

cooky
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by cooky » Mon Jun 25 2018 20:49

get a da and compressor you will burn out a orbital sander with too much wor start course then go fine

cooky
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by cooky » Mon Jun 25 2018 20:50

too late didnt see the post date or read comments lol