Retaining tube/net

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
The predator
General
General

Retaining tube/net

Post by The predator » Fri May 18 2018 09:56

Found a Fox pike retaining tube when having a clearout. now I've never used this or any other because I heard that some anglers have had fish die in them.
Do any of you guys use them and have you had any bad experiences with them? :shrug:
Incumbam, et sternebant

stuartmason
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Retaining tube/net

Post by stuartmason » Fri May 18 2018 12:52

I use one never had any probs only retained fish for short time tho

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Fri May 18 2018 13:14

The discussions popped up a few times. iirc, general consensus is very short periods if it will benefit the pike.

Imo for anything other than trying to help a weary pike etc is a total no no.

I hate when people use em to keep a pike caught at night until morning just for a photograph in daylight.

If they're dieing its probably been left in a mucky margin for hours on end. shame on people who will be doing it in this weather :no:
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Fri May 18 2018 13:16

Yeah but I've heard of anglers sacking up while they phone a friend which could possibly be a bit of a wait
Incumbam, et sternebant

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Fri May 18 2018 13:19

Why ? No camera/scales ?
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Fri May 18 2018 14:43

Andrew Croft wrote:
Why ? No camera/scales ?
Some people just don't think
Incumbam, et sternebant

Jimk2
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Jimk2 » Fri May 18 2018 15:52

I have the ET one, had it for years and never used it.

philbrown
Captain
Captain

Post by philbrown » Fri May 18 2018 16:01

Never had a problem on the few occasions I've used them. The pike remain pretty calm in the tube but come out with a new lease of life which can make for an interesting photo!

martin(rockape)
Captain
Captain

Post by martin(rockape) » Fri May 18 2018 19:32

Did have a pike/carp sack, never used it and thinking about it its probably a bad thing to use as the sack itself would no doubt smother the fish restricting flow to the gills. Like i said never used it and has been binned..

Regards

Martin

andypee
Captain
Captain

Post by andypee » Sun May 20 2018 16:33

I've just purchased the chub extra protection retaining sling, got to say it's massive but light, I thought it may be best to rest a fish while sorting camera out etc.

I would only use it if I felt needed but at least I'm prepared now :shrug:

Andy.

zodiac
Major
Major

Post by zodiac » Sun May 20 2018 20:07

Used a retaining tube a few times over the years, I always take one with me it's only been used a handful of times. I recall one occasion, I had an 18 something ounces, near dusk. It had a massive coil of mono and wire, with a few hooks tangled up, at the back of it's throat. It didn't take too long to untangle the mess and remove my own hooks, plus the hooks that were already there, but a bit longer than usual. Got it the water asap, it was just lying on it's side, I sat there, keeping it upright, moving it back and forward slowly, trying to get some water flowing through it's gills , for over half an hour. It was still alive, but if I let it go it bellied up.. hands freezing, after a while I put it in the tube, propped it up with banksticks, got to my bed. First light, up and checked how she was, it was kicking and thrashing. There's no doubt in my mind using the tube saved that fishes life. That alone is enough to make me take it every time whether I use it or not.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

martin(rockape)
Captain
Captain

Post by martin(rockape) » Sun May 20 2018 21:05

zodiac wrote:
Used a retaining tube a few times over the years, I always take one with me it's only been used a handful of times. I recall one occasion, I had an 18 something ounces, near dusk. It had a massive coil of mono and wire, with a few hooks tangled up, at the back of it's throat. It didn't take too long to untangle the mess and remove my own hooks, plus the hooks that were already there, but a bit longer than usual. Got it the water asap, it was just lying on it's side, I sat there, keeping it upright, moving it back and forward slowly, trying to get some water flowing through it's gills , for over half an hour. It was still alive, but if I let it go it bellied up.. hands freezing, after a while I put it in the tube, propped it up with banksticks, got to my bed. First light, up and checked how she was, it was kicking and thrashing. There's no doubt in my mind using the tube saved that fishes life. That alone is enough to make me take it every time whether I use it or not.

I hope she rewards you with some good sport from her off spring in the future if she hasn't done so already.

Regards

Martin

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Mon May 21 2018 14:55

Always got one in the bag / by the mat in case something goes wrong. used it occasionally. camera batt failure was one time that comes to mind. I have had em jump out of a landing net and don't see much difference between leaving them in a net or in a properly staked tube tbh. Doubles up as a livo store sometimes if I catch some.
Love the hit!

John O Grady
Captain
Captain

Post by John O Grady » Mon May 21 2018 18:17

I use a big Korum sling to hold the fish while i get everything set up regularly, as long as your sensible about it i dont think you'll have many issues. Just avoid doing it for too long, get the fish into a reasonable depth if possible and make sure the fish isn't tangled.

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Mon May 21 2018 18:23

zodiac wrote:
Thats the game mate. Thats how they should be used :thumbs:

MarkBerrisford
Major
Major

Post by MarkBerrisford » Mon May 21 2018 18:27

I bought one of the floating weigh slings for if I need to hold a fish when I’m on my own, only needed it a few times but it does the job
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Carlperkins » Sat May 26 2018 21:19

What’s wrong with a piece of string and a bank stick 🤔😂😂
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Mon May 28 2018 23:11

I have a couple of the original ET tubes. I use them for keeping lives at the water. I carry a sack when bank fishing which I use as a mat (on soft ground) and weigh sling. On the boat If a fish needs resting the landing nets does the job.

Metalscobes666
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Metalscobes666 » Tue May 29 2018 12:44

I have the Fox and the ET one the plastic ribs in the ET one shattered and I had to do a DIY job with wire to make better ribs so the ET one gets no use anymore, the Fox one seems to have stood up better. Having said this I also have one of them floating retaining sling things from Fox that doubles up at a weigh sling and recently I've been using this more and more it's easy to unhook the Pike plop the thing over the side of the boat then set up the scales and camera equipment.

Now before the Pike Police get on my case I'm only retaining the fish for a very short while so I can set up the scales or the camera equipment were talking no more than about 15mins and I see no issues in doing this. However most of the Pike I've caught recently have been fish not worth really weighing or photographing so they were unhooked and put back without any fuss.

I did try to get the Competition Pike humans to adopt the floating slings over blue barrels on numerous occasions but seems they would rather put Pike in a bucket then with no oxygenation all for the purposes of putting cash in their pockets, getting kind of tired of competitions for Pike on the Erne system these festivals of poor handling and general fish mistreatment really need to end.
Through adversity to the stars

Paddy Lynch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Paddy Lynch » Tue May 29 2018 22:54

Has anybody used the Chub floatation slings, they look like a great piece of kit. No chance of the fish coming in contact with bottom structure.

piker al
Captain
Captain

Post by piker al » Tue May 29 2018 23:14

Paddy Lynch wrote:
Has anybody used the Chub floatation slings, they look like a great piece of kit. No chance of the fish coming in contact with bottom structure.
Never used that 1 paddy but I’ve got a fox 1 that’s similar,great for short retention while u sort out the camera :thumbs: