Efgeeco Ruck Box

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Emma Hamilton
Colonel
Colonel

Efgeeco Ruck Box

Post by Emma Hamilton » Thu Jul 12 2018 23:37

Has anyone got an Efgeeco Ruckbox. I need a pic of one.

Thanks

rob

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Efgeeco Ruck Box

Post by John Milford » Fri Jul 13 2018 12:27

I'm not sure Efgeeco made a 'ruck box' Rob? Fox, JRC and Nash did/do them I think (although the Nash one has a poor reputation for falling apart!).

I found this picture of the Efgeeco box range on the 'Traditional Anglers' forum:

I have seen Efgeeco boxes (retro?) fitted with a back-pack type harness, but I think they would be mightily uncomfortable to lug around, due to their solid steel frames. I have an Efgeeco 'Major', that I sometimes use for swim-hopping for winter grayling and chub. It is quite handy and rugged, but I'm always glad when I put it down!

Efgeeco did the 'Pakaseat' - they're covered in the Efgeeco thread. Good secondhand ones are ridiculously expensive though.

"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

phil.c
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by phil.c » Fri Jul 13 2018 12:49

I had an earlier one than those made of canvas.

I then upgraded to the Midland.

Too bloody big though, as I was a scrawny thing back then. :red:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....

Mattjb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mattjb » Fri Jul 13 2018 16:41

I had the 'super' with rucksack straps, used it for years until it could'nt take any more abuse!

Emma Hamilton
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Emma Hamilton » Fri Jul 13 2018 19:44

John Milford wrote:
I'm not sure Efgeeco made a 'ruck box' Rob? Fox, JRC and Nash did/do them I think (although the Nash one has a poor reputation for falling apart!).

I found this picture of the Efgeeco box range on the 'Traditional Anglers' forum:

I have seen Efgeeco boxes (retro?) fitted with a back-pack type harness, but I think they would be mightily uncomfortable to lug around, due to their solid steel frames. I have an Efgeeco 'Major', that I sometimes use for swim-hopping for winter grayling and chub. It is quite handy and rugged, but I'm always glad when I put it down!

Efgeeco did the 'Pakaseat' - they're covered in the Efgeeco thread. Good secondhand ones are ridiculously expensive though.

Thanks John, think its the A596 in your pic i'd like a photo off. Ive interviewed the guys from The Tackle Box in Kent and they mention it as an influence to the design of the Fox Ruckbox.

Thanks

rob

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Fri Jul 13 2018 20:18

Emma Hamilton wrote:
Thanks John, think its the A596 in your pic i'd like a photo off. Ive interviewed the guys from The Tackle Box in Kent and they mention it as an influence to the design of the Fox Ruckbox.

Thanks

rob
They're top guys, Gary and Kevin Peet :thumbs: I've known them since they had their first little 'Tackle Box' shop in Sutton-at-Hone. They were always very supportive of the Dartford PAC Region (RA19), back in the day.

I buy fishing rods.

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Sat Jul 14 2018 08:49

I had two A596 boxes.

The frame was made from 1/2"dia. tubular steel covered with green PVC, it had a plywood floor covered in plastic inside and a leg going down at each corner and each leg had a black rubber pads.
The lid was also plywood with minimal padding so hard to sit on for long periods.
I think these were the first Efgeeco boxes that had hard nylon straps, the material being the same as the (then) seat belts for cars.

I might still have one in my barn, Im clearing it out during this warm spell so if its there I will PM you - if your still interested?

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Jul 14 2018 11:21

I had one of the "standard"s when i first started fishing :madmick:

I`m sure one of the match lads who fished my local water had one of the "super"s fitted with rucksack style straps....

Cyprio
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cyprio » Sat Jul 14 2018 12:23

Not sure of the No.
Will this help. Was my dads then I had it and used it when I went sea fishing.
Not bad condition for 30 plus years :cool:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
:thumbs:

Andy.
Ps doubt there would be a fox one still in use (well the MK1 version) :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Happy Hayes
Major
Major

Post by Happy Hayes » Sat Jul 14 2018 19:15

Just dug out my old canvas (green ) Efgeeco box looks similar to the A796 in the picture apart from the legs are different,also has a harness for your back
Regards
Tom

delboy
Major
Major

Post by delboy » Sat Jul 14 2018 19:41

Don't throw it away boy

Happy Hayes
Major
Major

Post by Happy Hayes » Sat Jul 14 2018 21:05

delboy wrote:
Don't throw it away boy
Del
I wouldn’t dream of throwing it away
A very dear older friend of mine invited me round his house so he could show me his fishing tackle of yesteryear.
You would of loved it Del ,cane rods some of which he’d made himself,centrepin reels ,half bale arm reel,floats,again some that he’d made himself.
An old umbrella the central pole and the spike made of wood held together with a bracket,the point had some form of metal around it to protect the wood .there was also a sealey rod never used and lots of other stuff .
When I was leaving he called me back and said “ ain’t you forgot something “ it’s yours boy ,” I’m to old now , I won’t be fishing again “
One of the reels at the time was 200 quid on evil bay ,I’d told him that I would sell them and he would get the money but he wouldn’t have none of it .
He didn’t want the money, just someone to enjoy what he had and that person was me . Funny enough one of the cane rods was what he used when fishing for pike .
He also had a centrepin that he said was made by a local man ,because the likes of himself couldn’t afford the real thing ( this one Del you have to see )
Sadly Mr John Everett is no longer with us , he said it the way it was , like yourself. You and him would of got on like a house on fire .
If it hadn’t of been given to me ,your one of the few I’d pass it on to because I know you’d enjoy using it .
Regards
Tom :shake:

delboy
Major
Major

Post by delboy » Sat Jul 14 2018 22:46

Well what more could that old boy have wished for,he passed his prized tackle onto someone that would love it,enjoy it boy,happy days

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Sun Jul 15 2018 11:54

I inherited an old 50's cotton brolley with a wooden stem but lost the double clamp and pointed bit in a house move.
Still use it as a sun shade.

Happy Hayes
Major
Major

Post by Happy Hayes » Sun Jul 15 2018 15:32

Well made bits of kit Mike .
Shame you mislaid the parts during the move .

MarkBerrisford
Major
Major

Post by MarkBerrisford » Wed Jul 18 2018 09:58

Mike J wrote:
I inherited an old 50's cotton brolley with a wooden stem but lost the double clamp and pointed bit in a house move.
My first umbrella was like that, wooden poles and the clamps but it was from the late 70’s early 80’s though
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Wed Jul 18 2018 10:54

MarkBerrisford wrote:
Mike J wrote:
My first umbrella was like that, wooden poles and the clamps but it was from the late 70’s early 80’s though
Early 70's more like! I bought my first brolly early 70's and they were nearly all alloy poles by then. (They still tended to be bright bluey-green canvas in those days). I remember getting my first tilt 'wavelock' one a few years later - it weighed a ton!

My first Efgeeco rod holdall was a canvas one, then I upgraded to a longer 'Nylene' one, plus a 'Rover' seat box :pipe:

Sadly all of my original gear got stolen, when I lived in SE London. I've since bought a secondhand Efgeeco 'Major' in black (don't see the black ones very often?).

Last edited by John Milford on Wed Jul 18 2018 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

I buy fishing rods.

MarkBerrisford
Major
Major

Post by MarkBerrisford » Wed Jul 18 2018 11:11

John Milford wrote:
MarkBerrisford wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Early 70's more like! I bought my first brolly early 70's and they were nearly all alloy poles by then. (They still tended to be bright bluey-green canvas in those days). I remember getting my first tilt 'wavelock' one a few years later - it weighed a ton!

My first Efgeeco rod holdall was a canvas one, then I upgraded to a longer 'Nylene' one, plus a 'Rover' seat box :pipe:

Sadly all of my original gear got stolen, when I lived in SE London. I've since bought a secondhand Efgeeco 'Major' in black (don't see the black ones very often?).
I was born in 68 so would guess I was 9 or 10 maybe a bit older when i got the brolly which would be around 77/78 May be a touch later
We didn’t have pot to p**s in so it would have been the cheapest available, my mum made me a rod bag and my dad made me a seat box out of plywood weighed a bleeding ton! :laughs: we had no car so it was a 2 mile walk to where we fished in those days
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

Mercman
Major
Major

Post by Mercman » Wed Jul 18 2018 11:51

I have got one of those old wooden umbrellas in my garage, never used it myself but it looks pretty good. Also have an Efgeeco rod bag, rod rests etc. maybe I need a clear out :laughs:
You can learn so much from old people that is why... Delboy is my 74 year old mentor
I am now.....Delboy's Mentor... :grin:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Wed Jul 18 2018 11:52

MarkBerrisford wrote:
John Milford wrote:
MarkBerrisford wrote:
Mike J wrote:

I was born in 68 so would guess I was 9 or 10 maybe a bit older when i got the brolly which would be around 77/78 May be a touch later
We didn’t have pot to p**s in so it would have been the cheapest available, my mum made me a rod bag and my dad made me a seat box out of plywood weighed a bleeding ton! :laughs: we had no car so it was a 2 mile walk to where we fished in those days
:laughs: When I was a nipper, my dad made two seat-boxes out of old furniture panels (one for himself and one for my mum). My twin brother Rob and I were very envious of them - all we had, to start with, was two of mum's battered old shopping bags and one each of these to sit on!

(Lumby will be joining in soon, as this is starting to sound like the Python's 'Yorkshiremen' sketch :giggle: ).

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 18 2018 12:25

A metal framed folding stool? LUXURY!! :grin:

My first fishing stool was a folding wooden one I'd had from being a very small child. It was very low! My first tackle box/seat box was made from a wooden box that tea came in - about 12in by ten by ten. The lid slid in, but the one for my box was missing so I cut some hardboard for a lid and made compartments with the left overs. It wasn't only sat on occasionally.

Then I progressed to:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Wed Jul 18 2018 13:16

davelumb wrote:

My first fishing stool was a folding wooden one I'd had from being a very small child. It was very low! My first tackle box/seat box was made from a wooden box that tea came in - about 12in by ten by ten. The lid slid in, but the one for my box was missing so I cut some hardboard for a lid and made compartments with the left overs. It wasn't only sat on occasionally.

Then I progressed to:

Wicker basket? Would have been like a throne to us. Mine was woven from rusty old barbed wire . . . .

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 18 2018 13:20

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Then I progressed to:

Wicker basket? Would have been like a throne to us. Mine was woven from rusty old barbed wire . . . .
I had to get up at four o'clock in the morning to cut the wicker AND weave it into a basket before I had breakfast...

Mercman
Major
Major

Post by Mercman » Wed Jul 18 2018 13:35

Spoilt Brats! :grin:
You can learn so much from old people that is why... Delboy is my 74 year old mentor

Happy Hayes
Major
Major

Post by Happy Hayes » Yesterday 18:23

Mercman wrote:
I have got one of those old wooden umbrellas in my garage, never used it myself but it looks pretty good. Also have an Efgeeco rod bag, rod rests etc. maybe I need a clear out :laughs:
Don’t tell Del :grin:

delboy
Major
Major

Post by delboy » Yesterday 19:47

f*****g right boy,if he throws that old gear away,he will be in for a ear bashing I can tell you

Mercman
Major
Major

Post by Mercman » Yesterday 21:02

Just got back from the lake. used an old black Efgeeco seat box, one rod, centre pin, and a bit of tackle. Enjoyed myself used prawns as bait couple of small perch , few roach and got snapped up by something much bigger (probably a carp) and lost my small porcupine quill float in the process, but good fun.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » 35 minutes ago

I feel for you Merc'. A porky is a sad loss, but I had an Auger 'Nevamis' cork bodied antennae lost to a carp the other day. A dodgy metal lined tip ring was to blame, the line parted on the strike. Got a nice new ceramic tip ring, but still mourning the float (and the carp). :cry:

I buy fishing rods.