lightweight 50" brolly

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Bob Watson » Sat Aug 11 2018 17:34

Any recommendations??

My old black daiwa is on the way out, which I'm not too bothered about, it's kin' heavy. I'm looking for a decent lightweight brolly to stick in my quiver, preferably 50"!

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16856
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Kev Berry » Sat Aug 11 2018 17:48

Bob Watson wrote:
Any recommendations??

My old black daiwa is on the way out, which I'm not too bothered about, it's kin' heavy. I'm looking for a decent lightweight brolly to stick in my quiver, preferably 50"!
NU fish do a lightweight one, but its grey (lets light through as well)
preston do one that's blue

all the ribs are fibreglass

I have a nice camo one, might last me another couple of years, sadly not made anymore (Waterline )

User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Bob Watson » Sat Aug 11 2018 18:27

Looked at them both Kev, was hoping for an after use review.

User avatar
Mike J
Major
Major
Posts: 2234
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Mike J » Sun Aug 12 2018 10:43

My old cotton Efgeeco with its wooden stem is lighter than my Nubrolley made of nylon and ally.
Mind you the cotton can leak so needs regular reproofing but you can light a stove under it without melting a hole :laughs:

Just saying.

davyr
Private
Private
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat May 19 2018 10:18

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by davyr » Sun Aug 12 2018 13:16

I''ve been using the Preston Flatback one with the fibreglass arms for a couple of months now, and have been very pleased with it - stable, comes with a couple of pegs in a separate bag, and it's not too heavy. Fits snugly into my Korum 2-rod lightweight quiver and actually improves its balance when using the carrying handle. The only thing I don't like is the colour (blue) as it makes me look like a match angler...

User avatar
Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 8325
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: coventry

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Carlperkins » Sun Aug 12 2018 18:24

I have a white cable jointers brolly
It’s light and although it’s white it lets the light in.
And it’s free 😂
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Bob Watson » Sun Aug 12 2018 20:16

Didn't need one today, stopped raining as I got on the river and started to spit as we were putting gear back in the car :thumbs:

User avatar
MarkBerrisford
Major
Major
Posts: 1208
Joined: Fri Sep 02 2011 05:00
Location: Manchester

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by MarkBerrisford » Sun Aug 12 2018 21:06

The fox specialist is lightweight but is 45inch and it has small storm sides on it
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16856
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Aug 12 2018 23:17

Bob Watson wrote:
Looked at them both Kev, was hoping for an after use review.
sold quite a few of both, none have been returned as faulty, no complaints about them either, my old light weight is still going but if it suddenly went I would have either of them. pity they not in green or camo.

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6141
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Aug 13 2018 07:21

Define lightweight.....I have the fox Specialist brolly and its less than 3kg.
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16856
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Aug 13 2018 08:55

Jason Skilton wrote:
Define lightweight.....I have the fox Specialist brolly and its less than 3kg.
Nufish---2.3k
Preston--2.6k

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6141
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Aug 13 2018 11:04

Kev Berry wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
Define lightweight.....I have the fox Specialist brolly and its less than 3kg.
Nufish---2.3k
Preston--2.6k
They are expensive brollies!
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16856
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Aug 13 2018 11:29

Jason Skilton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
Define lightweight.....I have the fox Specialist brolly and its less than 3kg.
Nufish---2.3k
Preston--2.6k
They are expensive brollies!
compared to a normal 50" nylon brolly (35quid ish for a decent one) its not that bad, Fox specialist brolly is only 45" and £104.99 RRP

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6141
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Aug 13 2018 12:31

Kev Berry wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
Define lightweight.....I have the fox Specialist brolly and its less than 3kg.
Nufish---2.3k
Preston--2.6k
They are expensive brollies!
compared to a normal 50" nylon brolly (35quid ish for a decent one) its not that bad, Fox specialist brolly is only 45" and £104.99 RRP
You can get the Fox one for alot less than the RRP......best I've seen is 74.00 and its more than just a brolly. I remove the centre pole and use a couple of storm poles instead and it makes a lovely summer shelter.
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

Slug
Captain
Captain
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Jan 11 2014 21:49

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Slug » Mon Aug 13 2018 14:04

Carp anglers started painting camo on they shelters a few years ago before all this new camo or black stuff came about. Can’t work out what they were using to do it though they were using paint brushes there’s a couple of Korda programmes you can see it in. I tried the spray paint cans but that didn’t work just powdered off.

User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Bob Watson » Mon Aug 13 2018 17:13

:thumbs: It's looking like the nu fish!

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16856
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Aug 13 2018 18:01

Jason Skilton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
Define lightweight.....I have the fox Specialist brolly and its less than 3kg.
Nufish---2.3k
Preston--2.6k
They are expensive brollies!
compared to a normal 50" nylon brolly (35quid ish for a decent one) its not that bad, Fox specialist brolly is only 45" and £104.99 RRP
You can get the Fox one for alot less than the RRP......best I've seen is 74.00 and its more than just a brolly. I remove the centre pole and use a couple of storm poles instead and it makes a lovely summer shelter.
£55 plus vat in the trade catalogue----somebody isn't making much of a living at £74

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6141
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Jason Skilton » Tue Aug 14 2018 08:12

Perhaps that get a better discount rate Kev for buying in bulk :boing:
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16856
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Kev Berry » Tue Aug 14 2018 09:47

Jason Skilton wrote:
Perhaps that get a better discount rate Kev for buying in bulk :boing:
Get next to nowt from Fox

User avatar
Mercman
Major
Major
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat Sep 10 2016 13:25
Location: Essex PAC 102

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Mercman » Tue Aug 14 2018 10:41

You can learn so much from old people that is why... Delboy is my 75 year old mentor
I am now.....Delboy's Mentor... :grin:

D10bore
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Oct 07 2016 12:24

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by D10bore » Tue Aug 14 2018 10:44

Preston’s flatback ive got one very light as said green would be better :thumbs: mike

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Tue Aug 14 2018 11:40

Got a Korum Fribrashelter which has lasted the course over a few winters of battering on large waters. Storm poles make all the differance :o)
https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/korum-f ... d-umbrella
Love the hit!

User avatar
MarkBerrisford
Major
Major
Posts: 1208
Joined: Fri Sep 02 2011 05:00
Location: Manchester

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by MarkBerrisford » Tue Aug 14 2018 11:57

Following on from Kevs link above there’s the greys prodigy umbrella 50 inch weighing 2kg at angling direct
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

User avatar
hotburrito
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: W.O.S

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by hotburrito » Tue Aug 14 2018 14:28

https://www.korum.co.uk/products/shelte ... ite-brolly

I use this with cygnet quicklock stormcaps for when it gets blowy. Well made as I usually find with Korum stuff.
They do one with storm sides too if that’s your bag.
Will Gallacher

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16856
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Kev Berry » Tue Aug 14 2018 14:47

I see its all Angling Direct-----keep buying from them lads and watch your local shops disappear---

one shop closed last week near me and another is closing after september

AD would rather sell £1000 worth of tackle and only make £1 than see the sale go elsewhere---its a big concern to the tackle trade at the moment what some of these big firms are doing ---Recent article in trade mag they said they wanted to be "the cheapest in the country", even the editor put a rider below that saying "the mind boggles"

some wholesalers are considering going direct to the public such are the (discount) demands from the big firms and the bait firms are shitting themselves in case they start doing their own baits (and they will before long)

for the time being there is only one winner---you
just watch what happens when your last local tackle shop shuts its doors

User avatar
kristian
Major
Major
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by kristian » Tue Aug 14 2018 17:04

Kev Berry wrote:
I see its all Angling Direct-----keep buying from them lads and watch your local shops disappear---

one shop closed last week near me and another is closing after september

AD would rather sell £1000 worth of tackle and only make £1 than see the sale go elsewhere---its a big concern to the tackle trade at the moment what some of these big firms are doing ---Recent article in trade mag they said they wanted to be "the cheapest in the country", even the editor put a rider below that saying "the mind boggles"

some wholesalers are considering going direct to the public such are the (discount) demands from the big firms and the bait firms are shitting themselves in case they start doing their own baits (and they will before long)

for the time being there is only one winner---you
just watch what happens when your last local tackle shop shuts its doors

I fear its the same in a lot of the retail sector Kev. A race to the bottom where everyone looses out eventually.

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 21012
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by davelumb » Tue Aug 14 2018 17:06

Ted Carters is now Angling Direct. They're taking over everywhere.

User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Bob Watson » Tue Aug 14 2018 17:16

I use my local shop when I can, but more often than not, when I go in the owner says the items I'm asking for will be here in a couple of weeks when his order comes in, go back in a couple of weeks and some other excuse pops up!

I say to him that I try to use him whenever I can, but ffs give me a chance!

I asked him how much for an overwrap for my shelter, he'll ring me monday, went in the following saturday, asked him again, the reps on holiday :scratch: :roll: He's forgot. A simple notepad would get him a few more sales.


Like I said, give us a chance!!

Andytheammer
Captain
Captain
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jan 27 2014 22:43
Location: Abridge Essex

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Andytheammer » Tue Aug 14 2018 17:18

kristian wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
I see its all Angling Direct-----keep buying from them lads and watch your local shops disappear---

one shop closed last week near me and another is closing after september

AD would rather sell £1000 worth of tackle and only make £1 than see the sale go elsewhere---its a big concern to the tackle trade at the moment what some of these big firms are doing ---Recent article in trade mag they said they wanted to be "the cheapest in the country", even the editor put a rider below that saying "the mind boggles"

some wholesalers are considering going direct to the public such are the (discount) demands from the big firms and the bait firms are shitting themselves in case they start doing their own baits (and they will before long)

for the time being there is only one winner---you
just watch what happens when your last local tackle shop shuts its doors

I fear its the same in a lot of the retail sector Kev. A race to the bottom where everyone looses out eventually.
Ain’t that the truth!

User avatar
Mercman
Major
Major
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat Sep 10 2016 13:25
Location: Essex PAC 102

Re: lightweight 50" brolly

Post by Mercman » Tue Aug 14 2018 17:36

kristian wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
I see its all Angling Direct-----keep buying from them lads and watch your local shops disappear---

one shop closed last week near me and another is closing after september

AD would rather sell £1000 worth of tackle and only make £1 than see the sale go elsewhere---its a big concern to the tackle trade at the moment what some of these big firms are doing ---Recent article in trade mag they said they wanted to be "the cheapest in the country", even the editor put a rider below that saying "the mind boggles"

some wholesalers are considering going direct to the public such are the (discount) demands from the big firms and the bait firms are shitting themselves in case they start doing their own baits (and they will before long)

for the time being there is only one winner---you
just watch what happens when your last local tackle shop shuts its doors

I fear its the same in a lot of the retail sector Kev. A race to the bottom where everyone looses out eventually.
Yes just look down your local high street or shopping centre at all the boarded up shops. Business rates are far too high these days for them to compete in any way with online retailers. I know we will all be sorry when the local tackle shops are gone. The likes of Angling direct will push up prices too in the aftermath.
You can learn so much from old people that is why... Delboy is my 75 year old mentor
I am now.....Delboy's Mentor... :grin:

Post Reply