Old gold...

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Old gold...

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun Aug 12 2018 16:04

Penn Levelmatics, (910 and 920) from the late 70s/early 80s. Used to see a few about on the beaches, but only ever saw one person using one for lure fishing....(Ian Forsythe , the old St Helens R.O, up in SW Scotland in the mid 80s). The 910 is a nightmare to strip down, as the frame is all seperate pieces, and needs realigning when you put it back together. They improved that with the 920, which incorporated locking nuts on the frame crossbars to keep it aligned. Unusually for small baitcasters, they have an anti reverse dog that "ticks" as you retrieve....(anyone who can remember the old Penn sea reels will know what I mean), and clickers, which you didnt usually find on reels below Abu 6000 size. These ones actually have handles fitted from the larger 930/940 models, as the originals were pretty horrible.

Lovely old reels, very smooth and cast a mile with the wide, narrow diameter spool. Just serviced both so decided to snap a pic to post :smile:
P1160388.JPG

alanunthank
Private
Private

Re: Old gold...

Post by alanunthank » Sun Aug 12 2018 16:27

Nice reels Mark :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Aug 12 2018 18:20

Handles are on the wrong side...

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun Aug 12 2018 18:23

davelumb wrote:
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

I think it was only Abu that did LHW round reels back then Dave? Can`t recall any from other companies....

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Aug 12 2018 18:51

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:

I think it was only Abu that did LHW round reels back then Dave? Can`t recall any from other companies....
I can't think of any other LHW baitcasters. But I think Penn made LHW sea fishing multipliers in 'the old days'. :shrug:

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun Aug 12 2018 19:03

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:

I can't think of any other LHW baitcasters. But I think Penn made LHW sea fishing multipliers in 'the old days'. :shrug:
Yes i think they did mate :thumbs:

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Sun Aug 12 2018 21:01

I've got a LHW Policansky Monitor without a level wind I bought for Nile perch fishing on Lake Nasser over 20 years ago a sea fishing reel I suppose it's clunkier than most bait casters but only about the size of an Abu 7000. Obviously I didn't cast it because it as all trolling from a boat.
I worried when I got it that I could never get used to it but it was no problem at all lovely and smooth easy to maintain and it ticked on the retrieve....winding in those 100lb plussers :cool:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun Aug 12 2018 21:09

martin godliman wrote:
I've got a LHW Policansky Monitor without a level wind I bought for Nile perch fishing on Lake Nasser over 20 years ago a sea fishing reel I suppose it's clunkier than most bait casters but only about the size of an Abu 7000. Obviously I didn't cast it because it as all trolling from a boat.
I worried when I got it that I could never get used to it but it was no problem at all lovely and smooth easy to maintain and it ticked on the retrieve....winding in those 100lb plussers :cool:
Didnt the Policansky`s have a lever drag Martin? they had a good reputation...

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Sun Aug 12 2018 23:37

Mark_Houghton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Didnt the Policansky`s have a lever drag Martin? they had a good reputation...
It does Mark handy and easy to use it was, I got it because it was LHW apparently they could be converted to RHW and Barrie Rickards used to recommend them for the Nile Perch fishing job he used the Monarch I recall, made in South Africa I believe....never used my Monitor for anything else since of course.

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Mon Aug 13 2018 08:26

Ive always used lefthand wind multipliers and yes you could get LHW Penns.
All Polikansky, Penn Senator, 400L, 25&45GLS, are/were available for lefties.
Some of the Japanese made Diawas could be reversed by relocating a single screw even Shimano Tiagras can be converted if you know how.

The Polikansky range were very well made but did require their frame bolts to be rounded off if you didnt want regular grazes on your knuckles, their biggest problem was the two piece spool which would 'blow' apart if the mono was wound on too tight.

For uptiding and tope fishing the 400L with a rare earth magnet, its simple construction, one screw strip-down and spool ex/change and the same drag as a 4/0 Senator, nothing could beat it.

:thumbs:

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Mon Aug 13 2018 12:24

My Policansky shame it never gets used now.

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Aug 13 2018 15:07

Mike J wrote:
Ive always used lefthand wind multipliers and yes you could get LHW Penns.
All Polikansky, Penn Senator, 400L, 25&45GLS, are/were available for lefties.
Some of the Japanese made Diawas could be reversed by relocating a single screw even Shimano Tiagras can be converted if you know how.

The Polikansky range were very well made but did require their frame bolts to be rounded off if you didnt want regular grazes on your knuckles, their biggest problem was the two piece spool which would 'blow' apart if the mono was wound on too tight.

For uptiding and tope fishing the 400L with a rare earth magnet, its simple construction, one screw strip-down and spool ex/change and the same drag as a 4/0 Senator, nothing could beat it.

:thumbs:
It`s strange that they went to the effort of making lhw saltwater reels, yet never bothered with the baitcaster sized models....

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Aug 13 2018 15:08

martin godliman wrote:
My Policansky shame it never gets used now.
Lovely reel :thumbs:

Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bob Watson » Mon Aug 13 2018 17:45

davelumb wrote:
I agree, you need a 911 and 921 :wink:

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Aug 13 2018 18:13

Bob Watson wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I agree, you need a 911 and 921 :wink:
I can use both right and left so doesnt make any odds to me :laughs:

If you can use a knife and fork, or tie your own shoelaces without assistance then you can use a rhw multiplier....its some sort of mental block people have. All the talk of switching hands to cast etc is really irrelevant. Once you`ve used one for a short while you dont even notice the switching hands thing, and it becomes just as natural as using a lhw reel :thumbs:

Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bob Watson » Mon Aug 13 2018 18:17

I used to use a rhw multi for wrecking, switched to a lhw and found it a bit awkward :shrug:

Always use(d) a lhw for lure fishing though!!

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Aug 13 2018 18:21

Bob Watson wrote:
I used to use a rhw multi for wrecking, switched to a lhw and found it a bit awkward :shrug:

Bet after one or two sessions you wouldnt even notice the difference using a rhw reel Bob :thumbs:

Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bob Watson » Mon Aug 13 2018 18:25

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:

Bet after one or two sessions you wouldnt even notice the difference using a rhw reel Bob :thumbs:
I was fine (preferred it) with a lhw for lure fishing, don't bother with it now. I get bored after a couple of casts!

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Aug 13 2018 18:28

Bob Watson wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:

I was fine (preferred it) with a lhw for lure fishing, don't bother with it now. I get bored after a couple of casts!
Yeah lure fishing certainly isnt everyones cup of tea mate. It can be very monotonous when things are slow

Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bob Watson » Mon Aug 13 2018 19:09

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:

Yeah lure fishing certainly isnt everyones cup of tea mate. It can be very monotonous when things are slow
I enjoyed it for a year or two, now, if it was the only way to fish, I'd pack up!

I do quite fancy a go at drop shotting though! But I just know I'd buy the gear and get bored of it :roll:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Aug 13 2018 19:25

I've used a RHW multi for lure fishing and the casting was OK as was a straight retrieve. But I was an uncoordinated mess trying to work jerkbaits!

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Aug 13 2018 19:36

Bob Watson wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:

I enjoyed it for a year or two, now, if it was the only way to fish, I'd pack up!

I do quite fancy a go at drop shotting though! But I just know I'd buy the gear and get bored of it :roll:
Unless youre catching constantly, dropshotting is the most boring thing ever Bob, trust me :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Aug 13 2018 19:41

davelumb wrote:
I've used a RHW multi for lure fishing and the casting was OK as was a straight retrieve. But I was an uncoordinated mess trying to work jerkbaits!
Yeah, when timing is crucial it can be a pain Dave. Strangely enough, I was like that when i started using lhw reels for jerkbaiting, i was so used to rhw.

I`m the same with rhw when trying to work small soft plastics for perch etc though, where youre after subtle movements, I struggle with them so all my light lure reels are lhw. Never had a problem twitching minnows and the like though.