Line on a spool.. how much?

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
zodiac
Major
Major

Line on a spool.. how much?

Post by zodiac » Wed Sep 12 2018 20:08

This may be a daft question, is there a way to work out roughly how much line is left on a spool? I've just gone to put new lines on all my reels, I have a brand new spool plus 4 or 5 that are almost finished. I keep thinking that there's not quite enough to fill my spool but I'm not sure, so I start a new one. There may be plenty, these things are often deceiving. I probably should have thrown them away!!
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

ChrisWales
Captain
Captain

Re: Line on a spool.. how much?

Post by ChrisWales » Wed Sep 12 2018 20:59

wind it off onto measuring sticks say 1m apart then reel it back on?

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Wed Sep 12 2018 21:11

Its about starting right straight off.
Some spools come with measures or even little bits of tape at certain yardages which helps.
I always have a spare spool for the reel and load them in reverse with your chosen line and amount going on 1st and then back it up, I then wind the whole lot onto another real spool.
Once you have done this you can always put the same amount of line on (given same thickness) to top the spool right up.
With many brands coming in 1000 yard spools, put on 240 or so which allows for a bit of this'n'that.
If the line starts to become a little low on the spool, you can reverse it again, top the backing up and wind it back onto the original real spool.
Of course you can do the same for brain.
Line counters are very handy and some are quite accurate.

Sorry if I didn't answer the question :roll: :laughs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.

Woolley bully
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Woolley bully » Wed Sep 12 2018 21:28

I set bank sticks up in the garden at 5 meters apart and wrap the line/braid around them and measure it that way , you get some right funny looks off the neighbours but it works a treat ,
Born to fish but forced to work

Dusty22
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Dusty22 » Wed Sep 12 2018 21:57

I use a sea fishing line counter and work back on the dial set up
It’s a useful piece of kit as I’ve got my reels all measured out with the same amount of main line . Stripping the reels is a doddle . Well worth the 12quid.

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Sep 12 2018 22:30

Use braid---then forget about how much is on the reel for the next decade :thumbs:
300m spool does 2 reels, cut 15ft a year off if its fluffy---turn it round after 4-5 years and get another 4-5 years out of it

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Thu Sep 13 2018 07:59

ChrisWales wrote:
Woolley bully wrote:
I set bank sticks up in the garden at 5 meters apart and wrap the line/braid around them and measure it that way , you get some right funny looks off the neighbours but it works a treat ,
You could always get some highly accurate digital scales and a calculator, strip all the line off and weigh the spool, then by hand, wind all the line back on, now weigh the spool plus line, then cut one yard of line off and weigh that and weigh the spool again just to see if these numbers are the same.
So the calculation will be the weight of spool with line, minus spool equals weight of line , now divide remaining line by the weight of the meter section of line and this gives you yardage :thumbs: :dizzy: :laughs:
Be a right fecker if you were one yard short :hissy:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Thu Sep 13 2018 08:15

Im have a different method than all those above.
I measure the length of line per turn of the reel handle (my centrepin take 11 1/2" per full turn) do the math and wind on the length required.
Doesn't work so well with fixed spools, so I fill the reel, keep the remainder for rigs, and reverse the line (mono) the following winter.

Kev, you deserve credit for your advice, coming as it does from the owner of a tackle shop.

martin(rockape)
Captain
Captain

Post by martin(rockape) » Thu Sep 13 2018 08:29

Often thought of this but I'm just to dam lazy to work it out even with the use of a line counter. Mono line is quite cheap so I just fill the spool up and be done with it.

Regards

Martin

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Sep 13 2018 09:09

Many of the bulk spools hold 4oz of line
so its dead easy to do the maths to see how much line per ounce
4oz=112g
weigh the spool, in the case of a spool of Shimano Aero that's a total of 140 gm meaning the spool weighs 28gm
there is 1250m of line on the spool----so that's 11.16m per gr, so 15g of line will be about 165m---so just wind your line on until the spool weighs 15g less (or whatever greater/lesser amount you want)

but seeing how as most 15lb line is the same ish dia ----15g of any 15lb line isn't going to be far off 165m--

zodiac
Major
Major

Post by zodiac » Thu Sep 13 2018 18:00

Kev Berry wrote:
Many of the bulk spools hold 4oz of line
so its dead easy to do the maths to see how much line per ounce
4oz=112g
weigh the spool, in the case of a spool of Shimano Aero that's a total of 140 gm meaning the spool weighs 28gm
there is 1250m of line on the spool----so that's 11.16m per gr, so 15g of line will be about 165m---so just wind your line on until the spool weighs 15g less (or whatever greater/lesser amount you want)

but seeing how as most 15lb line is the same ish dia ----15g of any 15lb line isn't going to be far off 165m--

Something like that would work Kev, I have an untouched spool, i'll find an empty spool, the difference in weight is the total weight of line. I can weigh the half spools and get an idea of how much is left.
Thanks for the input chaps.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

Woolley bully
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Woolley bully » Thu Sep 13 2018 18:35

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
ChrisWales wrote:
Woolley bully wrote:
You could always get some highly accurate digital scales and a calculator, strip all the line off and weigh the spool, then by hand, wind all the line back on, now weigh the spool plus line, then cut one yard of line off and weigh that and weigh the spool again just to see if these numbers are the same.
So the calculation will be the weight of spool with line, minus spool equals weight of line , now divide remaining line by the weight of the meter section of line and this gives you yardage :thumbs: :dizzy: :laughs:

Cheers Alan
Lol 😂 that made me chuckle 😀
Born to fish but forced to work

Chinned out
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Chinned out » Thu Sep 13 2018 19:59

Grams, ounces, pounds, yards, meters,measuring sticks :afraid: ...what's going on here. Thought I lapsed into a cr@p forum for a second :laughs:

zodiac
Major
Major

Post by zodiac » Thu Sep 13 2018 20:50

Chinned out wrote:
Grams, ounces, pounds, yards, meters,measuring sticks :afraid: ...what's going on here. Thought I lapsed into a cr@p forum for a second :laughs:

Just a tightfisted old Scotsman trying to eke the last out some dregs of line! :laughs:

Chinned out
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Chinned out » Thu Sep 13 2018 21:26

Zodiac...I thort that was us pikers in general :wink:

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Fri Sep 14 2018 08:25

Woolley bully wrote:
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
ChrisWales wrote:
Woolley bully wrote:

Cheers Alan
Lol 😂 that made me chuckle 😀
:thumbs:

Cheers Alan

zodiac
Major
Major

Post by zodiac » Fri Sep 14 2018 09:05

Chinned out wrote:
2 scotsmen arguing, each holding on to the end of a piece of copper wire.
A chap walks over and asks 'what's so important about this bit of wire?'
'That's nae a bit o' wire' one says, "it's a f****n' penny!!"

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Fri Sep 14 2018 09:11

zodiac wrote:
Chinned out wrote:

Oh yes I like that!
:boing:

Jimbo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jimbo » Fri Sep 14 2018 10:17

I use two empty spools, weigh them, then wind all the braid onto one of the spools. then using empty spool wind half the back - when both spools weigh the same (taking of any difference in original weight) you have split evenly

Duncan Holmes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Fri Sep 14 2018 18:38

zodiac wrote:
Chinned out wrote:
The great Billy Connelly irc. :laughs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

andypee
Captain
Captain

Post by andypee » Fri Sep 14 2018 18:54

Jimbo wrote:
I use two empty spools, weigh them, then wind all the braid onto one of the spools. then using empty spool wind half the back - when both spools weigh the same (taking of any difference in original weight) you have split evenly
Seems a logical idea, I like that :thumbs:

Andy.

Chinned out
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Chinned out » Fri Sep 14 2018 19:07

andypee wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Seems a logical idea, I like that :thumbs:

Andy.
X2 :thumbs:

John

zodiac
Major
Major

Post by zodiac » Fri Sep 14 2018 23:23

Ok, while all these ideas are very much appreciated, I was looking for more of a 'quick fix'
I've got several nearly empty spools, that started off as 900 odd metre spools. I've never measured how much line I put on each reel, it was just random, I half(ish) filled them with some old bulk spool of Berkeley stuff I had for years, the backing has never changed, I do change the first 150 or so yards with new stuff. I strip it off till I get to the old backing line then change it. It's very roughly 150 yards of line I need. If I went through the process of measuring it round sticks in the garden , I'd be as well just reeling it on and seeing if there was enough, and if not, bin it and start again. As I said in the opening post, it may be a stupid question, but I was kinda looking for a way to measure how much line there was left, without leaving my couch.
Something like- measure the diameter of the spool, measure the diameter of the spool including line, divide by the number of sneaker rods cookie has, multiply it by the number of times delboy swears in an hour, add the weight in grams of lumby's beard, then subtract nev's iq.
Ok that's a joke, but you get the picture! Weighing it is the best solution yet.
By the way, it's only diawa sensor, if I have to chuck away 2 quid worth of nylon, I'll chuck it away. But I'd rather not!

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Sat Sep 15 2018 07:49

zodiac wrote:
Ok, while all these ideas are very much appreciated, I was looking for more of a 'quick fix'
I've got several nearly empty spools, that started off as 900 odd metre spools. I've never measured how much line I put on each reel, it was just random, I half(ish) filled them with some old bulk spool of Berkeley stuff I had for years, the backing has never changed, I do change the first 150 or so yards with new stuff. I strip it off till I get to the old backing line then change it. It's very roughly 150 yards of line I need. If I went through the process of measuring it round sticks in the garden , I'd be as well just reeling it on and seeing if there was enough, and if not, bin it and start again. As I said in the opening post, it may be a stupid question, but I was kinda looking for a way to measure how much line there was left, without leaving my couch.
Something like- measure the diameter of the spool, measure the diameter of the spool including line, divide by the number of sneaker rods cookie has, multiply it by the number of times delboy swears in an hour, add the weight in grams of lumby's beard, then subtract nev's iq.
Ok that's a joke, but you get the picture! Weighing it is the best solution yet.
By the way, it's only diawa sensor, if I have to chuck away 2 quid worth of nylon, I'll chuck it away. But I'd rather not!
"Something like- measure the diameter of the spool, measure the diameter of the spool including line, divide by the number of sneaker rods cookie has, multiply it by the number of times delboy swears in an hour, add the weight in grams of lumby's beard, then subtract nev's iq. "

:laughs:

Cheers Alan :thumbs:

Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bob Watson » Sat Sep 15 2018 09:38

Start with an empty spool.

Work on about 1m of line per one turn of the handle. All my big reels are "about" this ratio!

Wind 150 turns (or how much you want) of line on to an empty spool, fill with backing, reverse onto another spool.

All the time counting turns up to when your spool looks similarly filled to your part filled spools, it'll give you a rough idea.