Lures for getting in the weed ?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1627
Joined: Sun Apr 14 2019 08:14

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Jun 23 2020 05:10

Take a look at the 'punch' crayfish type lures. Named punch as they are designed to punch through the weed I think. Those in larger sizes rigged Texas style are pretty good in weeded water.

User avatar
andypee
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1020
Joined: Tue Feb 02 2016 08:34
Location: East yorkshire

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by andypee » Tue Jun 23 2020 06:22

Chris Hammond wrote:
Take a look at the 'punch' crayfish type lures. Named punch as they are designed to punch through the weed I think. Those in larger sizes rigged Texas style are pretty good in weeded water.
I will have a look :thumbs:

Cheers

Andy.

keeponchucking
Roach
Roach
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Apr 01 2019 11:54
Location: Ireland

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by keeponchucking » Tue Jun 23 2020 11:42

Pig shad junior with an owner beast hook. Used this last year to fish into the weeds

Iain Gillies
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Oct 30 2011 05:00

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by Iain Gillies » Wed Jun 24 2020 07:06

keeponchucking wrote:
Pig shad junior with an owner beast hook. Used this last year to fish into the weeds

Is that an EWG hook? I have tried large shads on this kind of arrangement over weed but have found hook up rate poor. This could possibly be down to small pike not being able to take the lure down far enough though.

keeponchucking
Roach
Roach
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Apr 01 2019 11:54
Location: Ireland

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by keeponchucking » Wed Jun 24 2020 12:46

Iain Gillies wrote:
keeponchucking wrote:
Pig shad junior with an owner beast hook. Used this last year to fish into the weeds

Is that an EWG hook? I have tried large shads on this kind of arrangement over weed but have found hook up rate poor. This could possibly be down to small pike not being able to take the lure down far enough though.
Yep they are. I also had issues with hook up rates.
Found that downsizign my bait increased it, not sure if it was due to more hook expesoure when the fish takes. I would take loosing a couple of fish over taking weeds from a lure all day. Was driving me mad.

darrenraider
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 28 2020 19:00

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by darrenraider » Sun Jun 28 2020 19:06

Any solf plastic fished on a Texas rig should do the trick for you 👍

User avatar
Ratty46
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Sep 20 2011 05:00
Location: LDN

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by Ratty46 » Fri Jul 31 2020 15:25

Bigkev wrote:
Heddon mossboss is very for weedy venues , caught pike , chub and perch on mine , ordered one today in white scale there are 2versions. 10 grams and 7 grams caught on both
they are the nuts, i remember using one for the first time, i couldnt believe how many hits it had!

User avatar
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Aug 30 2011 05:00
Location: UK

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by Mark Phillips » Fri Jul 31 2020 22:06

Another option would be a weedless jig, i.e. a stand up jig head with a brush hook guard. I've used them a lot to fish through weed on drains, most often with a small Sandra. Hook up rate is pretty good for a weedless set-up and about the only thing that stumps them is silkweed, but then there's no lure know to man that gets through that s**t. Just hop the jig in and out of weed pockets and always pause before you lift from the water - the times I have been slammed just as I start to draw the lure up at the edge. Had some very productive days using this method.
Piking Plonker

User avatar
andypee
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1020
Joined: Tue Feb 02 2016 08:34
Location: East yorkshire

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by andypee » Fri Jul 31 2020 23:25

Mark Phillips wrote:
Another option would be a weedless jig, i.e. a stand up jig head with a brush hook guard. I've used them a lot to fish through weed on drains, most often with a small Sandra. Hook up rate is pretty good for a weedless set-up and about the only thing that stumps them is silkweed, but then there's no lure know to man that gets through that s**t. Just hop the jig in and out of weed pockets and always pause before you lift from the water - the times I have been slammed just as I start to draw the lure up at the edge. Had some very productive days using this method.
Will look into that :thumbs:

Andy.

Maninblack01
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 01 2020 18:39

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by Maninblack01 » Mon Aug 03 2020 10:04

Stewlaws wrote:
Heddon moss boss.....caught well for me when I fished shaggy patches of Lillie's
Do you use weights with this lure as its a very slow sinker.

Stewlaws
Perch
Perch
Posts: 851
Joined: Thu Dec 28 2017 16:49

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by Stewlaws » Mon Aug 03 2020 18:21

Maninblack01 wrote:
Stewlaws wrote:
Heddon moss boss.....caught well for me when I fished shaggy patches of Lillie's
Do you use weights with this lure as its a very slow sinker.
Never, the beauty is any cast that overshoot the margin meant it was always retrievable..... As for adding weight it was never fished other than over pads and weed beds as a surface lure. Only thing I will say is the hook up ratio was not great .. running at around 6-7/10 in my favour, dramatic hits.

Post Reply