Squirrely burt advice

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Curts
Captain
Captain

Squirrely burt advice

Post by Curts » Sun Jan 13 2019 15:55

Not a big lure angler but recently bought some squirrely Burt’s to try. One of the clubs I’m in states no trebles over size 2. For my bait fishing I use owners but what would you guys recommend for the Burts? Cheers in advance,

Liam

Esoxuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Squirrely burt advice

Post by Esoxuk » Sun Jan 13 2019 21:02

You will probably find the ruling is intended for bait fishing. Most pike sized lures use bigger hooks than size 2’s and too small a hook on hard bodied lure will certainly hinder hook ups.
It may be worth asking for clarification.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sun Jan 13 2019 23:40

Eagle Claw 3/0. Available from dlst.co.uk or Chicoslures.co.uk

Curts
Captain
Captain

Post by Curts » Mon Jan 14 2019 07:38

:thumbs:

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Wed Jan 16 2019 14:08

Check out Jens bursell's writings on the "release hooklink" and his success with smaller hooks / better hook up percentages before running away with the thought that you need big hooks. His stats and tests make interesting reading and now Westin have started marketing his rigs for adapting lures. This guy is a real forward thinking angler, his writings carry weight with results behind them. Obv trying to change years of ingrained thought will take some doing but his ideas are persuasive. Worth a bit of time reading his web page / facebook articles.
Personally I have only tried them with rubber lures myself but it works.
Love the hit!

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Wed Jan 16 2019 16:11

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
Check out Jens bursell's writings on the "release hooklink" and his success with smaller hooks / better hook up percentages before running away with the thought that you need big hooks. His stats and tests make interesting reading and now Westin have started marketing his rigs for adapting lures. This guy is a real forward thinking angler, his writings carry weight with results behind them. Obv trying to change years of ingrained thought will take some doing but his ideas are persuasive. Worth a bit of time reading his web page / facebook articles.
Personally I have only tried them with rubber lures myself but it works.
If you fish lures only in open water a rig like the lift-off rig may be effective. If you fish lures near weed or the bottom and a lift-off rig hook makes contact there's a risk that the hooks pull away from the lure making hooking ineffective for the rest of the cast. Fishing stingers rigged along the outside of a shad jigged along the bottom you will experience this.

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Wed Jan 16 2019 18:46

Mount it on the top Andrew.... with rubbers it works for me bumping shads and alike on bottom. I get your point though. I do think you would feel any such snagging though. I do like his ideas and thought process myself. Not that I have implemented it on bigger hard lures though.
Love the hit!

Curts
Captain
Captain

Post by Curts » Wed Jan 16 2019 18:48

Cheers- I’ll have a look at this. Any links? Cheers, Liam

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Wed Jan 16 2019 21:21

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
Mount it on the top Andrew.... with rubbers it works for me bumping shads and alike on bottom. I get your point though. I do think you would feel any such snagging though. I do like his ideas and thought process myself. Not that I have implemented it on bigger hard lures though.
He's a very very experienced angler. I'm more in the camp of of good inexpensive hooks like Eagle Claws and cutting the hooks at the slightest sight of an awkward removal.