Vintage tackle

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
davethehawghunter
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Vintage tackle

Post by davethehawghunter » Mon Jan 14 2019 20:23

Evening all, I have picked up some vintage spoons and pike fishing items over the last few months and it has got me interested .I wondered if anyone could recommend any literature on the subject with a view of what to look for and what you can expect to pay.
Cheers
Dave

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Vintage tackle

Post by Mike J » Wed Jan 16 2019 11:40

davethehawghunter wrote:
Evening all, I have picked up some vintage spoons and pike fishing items over the last few months and it has got me interested .I wondered if anyone could recommend any literature on the subject with a view of what to look for and what you can expect to pay.
Cheers
Dave

If you ever get hold of a Jim Vincent spoon I would be interested in a deal, swop or similar.

davethehawghunter
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davethehawghunter » Wed Jan 16 2019 23:36

Hi,the first thing i purchased was a box of old pike gear from a local old boy. There were some Allcock gazette bungs in there,a few traces and about a dozen spoons, 3 of them were hardy Jim Vincent broads spoons. I understand they are quite collectable , but as i have only just started collecting i Will hang onto them for the time being.

davethehawghunter
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davethehawghunter » Wed Jan 16 2019 23:39

I can’t seem to find any up to date literature on such items, the books I have seen online seem a little dated.

davethehawghunter
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davethehawghunter » Wed Jan 16 2019 23:39

I can’t seem to find any up to date literature on such items, the books I have seen online seem a little dated.

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Thu Jan 17 2019 10:31

Quite a bit on here if you do a search.
Seek and ye will find.
:shake:

jonsykes
Chub
Chub

Post by jonsykes » Thu Jan 17 2019 12:36

You don’t need any books. Just ask John Milford, he knows everything ... & I mean everything!

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Thu Jan 17 2019 13:47

jonsykes wrote:
You don’t need any books. Just ask John Milford, he knows everything ... & I mean everything!
Works for the rest of us....John`s an encyclopaedia of knowledge regarding old gear :thumbs:

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Thu Jan 17 2019 17:55

davethehawghunter wrote:
Cheers
Dave
For British stuff, any books by Graham Turner, Chris Sanford or Jamie Maxtone Graham are worth looking out for Dave. Jess Miller's 'The Dunked Collection' is a great source of info on vintage Hardy. It's mainly about reels, but there is a good lure section at the end.

You'll struggle to find any books with price guidance - the problem being that the info would be out-of-date very quickly.

The Hardy 'Jim Vincent Broads Spoon' was made for about ten years from 1950. £50 - £75, depending on their condition. If they've still got the oval split-ring at the hook end, they are in original condition.

"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davethehawghunter
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davethehawghunter » Thu Jan 17 2019 20:02

Many thanks for the information, I will look out for these titles. The ones i have indeed have an oval ring one end and a welded ring and swivel on the other. The price side of things doesn’t bother me too much, i was interested in whether certain items were sold boxed etc when they were originally sold and what Allcock, Hardy etc actually made for pike angling.
Regards
Dave.

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Fri Jan 18 2019 02:59

If three out of a dozen spoons were Hardy's Dave, the chances are the other gear is quality stuff too. Allcocks 'Gazette' floats are very collectible too (if they still have the transfer label on them).

"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Fri Jan 18 2019 10:11

davethehawghunter wrote:
Many thanks for the information, I will look out for these titles. The ones i have indeed have an oval ring one end and a welded ring and swivel on the other. The price side of things doesn’t bother me too much, i was interested in whether certain items were sold boxed etc when they were originally sold and what Allcock, Hardy etc actually made for pike angling.
Regards
Dave.

Re JVs.
I have an idea of getting some spoons made in the JV shape, that is why Im seeking a battered original to use as a pattern, rings etc are not required as they would need to be removed anyway.

Any leads ???

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Fri Jan 18 2019 12:27

davethehawghunter wrote:
It's just occurred to me Dave, that if you want books about vintage, collectible fishing gear, it doesn't really matter if it is 'dated' as it is about stuff that pre-dates the book! :pipe:

You should be able to pick up a copy of Graham Turner's 'Fishing Tackle: A collector's Guide's for around £40. His much newer book (twice as big, with better quality photos) is 'Fishing Tackle: The Ultimate Collector's Guide's. You'll probably need to find £100 for a copy of that one.

Most books vintage coverage ends at about the 1960's. There is probably a niche in the market for a book that includes tackle up to the 1990's as gear up to that period is regarded as 'vintage' now too.

fergie68
Chub
Chub

Post by fergie68 » Fri Jan 18 2019 15:35

Didn't Shakespeare do a Jim Vincent spoon in the 80s.❓
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

fergie68
Chub
Chub

Post by fergie68 » Fri Jan 18 2019 15:46

s-l225-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

davethehawghunter
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davethehawghunter » Fri Jan 18 2019 18:41

Thanks again for the information John. There were indeed lables on 3 of the floats with Allcocks on them,two with just that on and another with a longer description,but still with Allcocks on the label.
There were not any leads in with the items.
Funnily enough on the subject of another company making a replica, i purchased one over Christmas. It is similar to an original one, but black and gold. The one side is stamped “Broadland” and has a makers name above,but has worn and can’t be read. I think this may be one of the Shakespeare ones.

delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy » Tue May 07 2019 20:47

Seen one of these before?
DSCF2538.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.

delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy » Tue May 07 2019 20:55

Think someone on here gave me this rod,just wanted to show them I am using it as promised,
DSCF2537.JPG

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Tue May 07 2019 22:08

delboy wrote:
Seen one of these before?DSCF2538.JPG
Never seen one of those Delboy! Looks a bit of a lump for an on-rod indicator, but I like it. :thumbs:

I imagine something like that could also be used for boat fishing? - if the line was clipped up in front of it, to stop it driving everyone mad!! (Not sure it would be better than a float though, with a centerpin/multiplier/baitrunner for audible back up? :shrug: ).

What's it called?

delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy » Wed May 08 2019 06:02

Its called 'Onrod',it works by vibration,and it stays on the rod for casting so is a bit clumsy(the line is threaded thru it).Think it is by Lakeside Developments or designs,can't have a look yet,missues is still asleep