Dory boat for a first boat

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
tomgrim
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Dory boat for a first boat

Post by tomgrim » Mon Jan 14 2019 21:07

Hoping to get my first boat next year. Would a Dory boat be good for a first boat? I've seen them going pretty cheap with trailors included too.

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Re: Dory boat for a first boat

Post by Alan_dalton » Mon Jan 14 2019 23:42

Where are you planning to fish and what size dory. Good boats if the flotation foam isn't waterlogged

tomgrim
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by tomgrim » Tue Jan 15 2019 13:15

I'll be using it for rivers and still waters. Was looking at around 12ft, don't want anything too big as I'll be using it on my own most of the time. From what I've read it says there very stable and unsinkable.
Is there anyway of checking the foam isn't waterlogged?

Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk » Tue Jan 15 2019 13:48

Not all dories have foam filling.
First check for signs of hull repairs and the quality of the repair, freshly painted hulls usually means that the paint is hiding a repair so I'd be wary.
A good guide is the weight of the boat, dry foam isn't too heavy, while waterlogged foam really is.
If you suspect water in the hull, but the price is right you could take a punt on it and be prepared to put it right yourself. At the worst you could cut out the deck, remove all the foam and carry out a good quality fibreglass repair to the inside of the hull to make it watertight again. The cavity can if you want be re-foamed or filled with plastic balls / bottles before fibreglassing the deck back into place.
This would give you the opportunity to modify the boat to suit you at the same time such as adding a live bait well or under floor storage.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

tomgrim
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by tomgrim » Tue Jan 15 2019 15:45

Cheers, I'll take my time in finding one. Will be next year so will learn as much as I can on what to look for. I wouldn't mind if it needed a bit of work doing but nothing to bad.
I notice you have a porta bote for sale, what are they like to have?

Mobo4pike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Mobo4pike » Tue Jan 15 2019 19:40

I bought myself a seahog few years back I've fallen out with her, she's partially sunk on me one night, I've had an engine pack in on me and had to shell out for a new one...oh and I had it come off the trailer whilst in transit..... BUT apart from that I wouldn't change it for the world love my wee boat :lol: :hug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ye s**g one trout and all of a sudden yer a broony shagger :roll: .

Mobo4pike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Mobo4pike » Tue Jan 15 2019 19:41

Don't know why those photos are sideyways
Ye s**g one trout and all of a sudden yer a broony shagger :roll: .

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Tue Jan 15 2019 22:26

Or keep an eye out for a seastrike ali boat if the Stillwaters you intend to fish aren't huge

keith the piker
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by keith the piker » Tue Jan 15 2019 23:19

I personally don't like the Dory hull as it doesn't sit well at anchor in a big wave, but that won't be a concern if you are only looking at smaller waters. Also, I have a 16ft GRP boat with three motors (big outboard, smaller auxiliary and an electric), plus 3 large batteries. So, a lot of weight but I can easily launch and retrieve single handed on big waters with tricky launch facilities. Depends on a reasonable trailer with a roller coaster trailer being the very best bet for ease of use.

The only sure-fire way to check if the foam is waterlogged is to drill a small hole in the internal skin. If it is waterlogged, some water will seep out! I would look for a boat which hasn't been renovated and looking a bit sorry for itself as that will be less likely to have been repaired with the repair being hidden. Re-painting a boat isn't that hard and can be very rewarding.

There are plenty of boats for sale out there, so I'd take your time and choose carefully. A boat I thoroughly recommend if you are after an open boat with a planing hull is the Bonwitco. They are quite old now but are solid, travel well, sit well at anchor and have an internal shape and arrangement which makes fitting out easy.

Be warned ... the phrase "owning a boat is like pouring money into a hole" wasn't thought of for no reason!

Just my take on it.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Wed Jan 16 2019 01:09

Depending on what size dory you're looking for, a seahog is a sound choice in the 15-16ft range. I've had 2 open versions and if I was looking for something in that class in the morning, I would definitely be on the lookout for another one. They are very safe and stable for the size on big waters in even the worst weather. They slap a bit at anchor but you soon become deaf to it, plus their weight let's them troll far better than the design would at first suggest.
I now have a Terhi Nordic which is a very safe boat, but in their class they're not cheap.

somebloke
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by somebloke » Wed Jan 23 2019 07:52

I'm on to my second dory and love these boats for pike fishing.I got this one off ebay boat trailer and engine plus bits and bobs for £400.
Original gel coat with no holes in hull.
Get the 13ft one so much more room to fish,I added storage boxes with swivel seats on top.

somebloke
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by somebloke » Sat Jan 26 2019 19:44

This is my dory that i bought a good few years ago,iv'e added the storage boxes and seats as well as all the little things like rod holders oars and boat hook etc etc. Bit dirty as this was after a lure session.
IMG_4050.JPG
IMG_4052.JPG
IMG_4053.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Thu Jan 31 2019 22:10

Love the boats and love the wee dog checking the outboard

tomgrim
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by tomgrim » Thu Feb 07 2019 22:49

Looks good that. Something that I will be looking for in the future. Good price too, is there a reason they are cheap....?