Boat advice

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Lucy S
Roach
Roach

Re: Boat advice

Post by Lucy S » Sun Feb 10 2019 20:30

Some excellent advice but c'mon, the guy is going piking on inland waters. A lot of OTT stuff posted too. I mean, 19 foot boats and 50hp outboards? 95% of my fishing is off Morecambe Bay and I don't have and others don't have outfits like this.
If it's too rough for a Coastliner or an Arran and similar stuff then it's too rough to go pike fishing.

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Sun Feb 10 2019 21:26

Agree. As a small (14ft) boat owner it’s about the weather and conditions. Fog, big seas, etc are scary in big boats - a few feet in length is nothing. Get a sea worthy boat like a Coastliner 14 or Strikeliner 16 and respect the sea. Don’t think a 20 footer will save you - you probably shouldn’t have been out there.....

Sean gilchrist
Chub
Chub

Post by Sean gilchrist » Sun Feb 10 2019 22:53

A guid bucket to s***e in
You can only pish with the c*ck you've got

Ayrshire piker
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Ayrshire piker » Wed Feb 13 2019 13:41

Woodchucker wrote:
Ayrshire piker wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice lads.. much appreciated 👌🏻👌🏻

After researching all the good advice we have decided to to start of with a smaller boat and fish smaller waters until we get the hang of it....

So we have got our selfs a linder sportsman 400 with 15hp engine and new trailer with winch and lights.... good pint about the vehicle and towing ... I have a 4x4 pickup so should be sweet with that

....any tips on what we should be kitting it out with, already have prop guard, floorboards, fish finder, oars, life jackets , rod rack, and will be trying to find a secondhand folding cuddy to fit to it

Thanks in advance 👍🏻👍🏻
Have a watch of my boat fishing videos in the video section for some basics that may help :thumbs:
Cracking videos pal 👌🏻👌🏻

Ayrshire piker
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Ayrshire piker » Wed Feb 13 2019 13:42

Anyone any info or links to sourcing a folding cuddy?

Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker » Wed Feb 13 2019 18:10

Ayrshire piker wrote:
Woodchucker wrote:
Ayrshire piker wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice lads.. much appreciated 👌🏻👌🏻

After researching all the good advice we have decided to to start of with a smaller boat and fish smaller waters until we get the hang of it....

So we have got our selfs a linder sportsman 400 with 15hp engine and new trailer with winch and lights.... good pint about the vehicle and towing ... I have a 4x4 pickup so should be sweet with that

....any tips on what we should be kitting it out with, already have prop guard, floorboards, fish finder, oars, life jackets , rod rack, and will be trying to find a secondhand folding cuddy to fit to it

Thanks in advance 👍🏻👍🏻
Have a watch of my boat fishing videos in the video section for some basics that may help :thumbs:
Cracking videos pal 👌🏻👌🏻
Glad you liked them :thumbs:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!

Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker » Wed Feb 13 2019 18:13

Ayrshire piker wrote:
Anyone any info or links to sourcing a folding cuddy?
These are the best about :thumbs:

http://www.amtrim.co.uk/folding-cuddy-gallery.html
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Wed Feb 13 2019 18:14

+1 for Amtrim, give Dave a call and tell him The Pit lads sent you, he’ll look after you
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Wed Feb 13 2019 18:18

Lucy S wrote:
Some excellent advice but c'mon, the guy is going piking on inland waters. A lot of OTT stuff posted too. I mean, 19 foot boats and 50hp outboards? 95% of my fishing is off Morecambe Bay and I don't have and others don't have outfits like this.
If it's too rough for a Coastliner or an Arran and similar stuff then it's too rough to go pike fishing.
I disagree pal, weather can turn in an instant from flat calm to dangerous and with little warning, plenty of horror stories about where this has happened

Some inland waters get rougher than Morecambe bay and are considerably deeper

Being prepared for every eventuality is critical for me and that includes having an over specced outboard, my 16ft boat would feel under gunned with anything below a 50 especially when it’s got two people on board and a raft of pike gear
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Wed Feb 13 2019 19:34

Ben wrote:
Lucy S wrote:
I disagree pal, weather can turn in an instant from flat calm to dangerous and with little warning, plenty of horror stories about where this has happened

Being prepared for every eventuality is critical for me and that includes having an over specced outboard, my 16ft boat would feel under gunned with anything below a 50 especially when it’s got two people on board and a raft of pike gear
+1
Ive spent a considerable amount of time over the years working offshore Morecambe Bay, and can certainly say the lakes can be a lot scarier place when the weathers up....!

As you say Ben, I dont think a 50hp is OTT on a 16ft+ boat, especially if you need to get up on top of the water with 2 in the boat. :thumbs:

After my most recent trip I am definitely looking into one of the PLB's Duncan posted a link for. :wink:

Ive never fished any of the really big Irish waters, but from some of the stories Ive heard. Bigger is definitely better for over there.. :afraid:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

Jock Gordon
Chub
Chub

Post by Jock Gordon » Wed Feb 13 2019 19:37

Use exactly the same boat with a 15 hp outboard as you have bought, fish the big lochs with it no bother, the 15 will get you back quick if the weather turns, as said always have a back up auxiliary, as for sourcing a second hand folding cuddy, good luck with that one, greatt wee boats, easily launched and retrieved.

Lucy S
Roach
Roach

Post by Lucy S » Wed Feb 13 2019 21:00

Ben wrote:
Lucy S wrote:

Ben, AP wanted advice on a boat to go piking and by your own admission you say yours is over specced.
To say an inland water gets rougher than the bay is nonsense. You can only compare them on the day in the same weather front. A 15mph wind on the 10 mile doesn't compare to out of the bay. And depth, well try crossing the lune deeps and try crossing high Wray to white cross in the same weather.
I'll stand by what I say through personal knowledge and experience, not through guessing or listening to others who have no knowledge, if its too rough to go out in a Coastliner, Arran or similar then it's too rough to go pike fishing.
Edward, no one said a 50hp is OTT for a 16 + but it's certainly not needed to go piking. You may have worked offshore but have you got there in the same tub you go piking in.

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Wed Feb 13 2019 22:09

Not getting into an argument with you over this but with respect, I WANT my boat to be over specced and that is my advice to a novice boat angler, this is based on over a decade of boat ownership and experience, not guess work or listening to others, I had a 25 on my first boat and it WAS under gunned in my opinion with two people and fully loaded

What depths are you talking? I fish waters that are 650ft deep in places, I want to be safe

I feel you’re missing my point a little, if it’s too rough then yes I wouldn’t go out but my point is that weather forecasts are often wrong especially when fishing waters surrounded by huge mountainous terrain that traps weather fronts so you need a rig and setup that keeps you safe, out on the open sea I expect this seldom happens

Personally I would not fish big deep inland waters on anything less than a 16ft boat with a high freeboard and a big outboard, my boat is an extremely capable sea vessel but I only use it inland

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Wed Feb 13 2019 22:14

I should add that my first boat was a 16ft Arran and it did not get fully on the plane with a 25 and for me I want that not only for fuel efficiency but to get to my next swim quickly, plus it’s fun

I’ll be putting a 60 on my Predator when it’s time to retire the 50!!

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Wed Feb 13 2019 23:16

Lucy S wrote:
Ben wrote:
Lucy S wrote:

Ben, AP wanted advice on a boat to go piking and by your own admission you say yours is over specced.
To say an inland water gets rougher than the bay is nonsense. You can only compare them on the day in the same weather front. A 15mph wind on the 10 mile doesn't compare to out of the bay. And depth, well try crossing the lune deeps and try crossing high Wray to white cross in the same weather.
I'll stand by what I say through personal knowledge and experience, not through guessing or listening to others who have no knowledge, if its too rough to go out in a Coastliner, Arran or similar then it's too rough to go pike fishing.
Edward, no one said a 50hp is OTT for a 16 + but it's certainly not needed to go piking. You may have worked offshore but have you got there in the same tub you go piking in.
The biggest point I believe you’re missing here is the “unpredictability” of the weather on the big lakes/lochs.
You can have 2 even 3 different weather fronts on windy along it’s length, plus it can change from flat calm to white horses in a matter of minutes.

In all my time working the Bay I can’t ever recall being caught out by a weather front. The sea forecasts were usually pretty good.

A 25hp on my boat wouldn’t get it on the plane, and faced with heavy weather that would be extremely dangerous!
I’ve been caught out on windy with waves coming over the bow while trying to pull anchor when the wind swung 180 deg in a matter of minutes. And my boat has probably one of the widest beams, and one of the most stable “pike” boats out there.

So....as has been mentioned it’s better to “over gunned” and ensure all eventualities are planned for. :wink:
Last edited by Edward.P.A.C on Thu Feb 14 2019 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Feb 14 2019 00:59

When it comes to buying a suitable boat, everything is relative. Most people will have a clearly defined budget with a small amount of flexibility. If you have enough money to buy a show piece with the space and power to bring the kitchen sink, then good for you, but most pikers will be operating within more modest financial limits. Some of what you read on here is genuine good advice, more is purely boasting. Yes, there are limitations regarding what is safe to use on big waters, but the tone of a lot of this thread is enough to frighten off the potential boat angler for good.
I always fish on my own from a boat, even though my mate might often be fishing from his boat on the same water. My local ''big'' lough, just 20mins drive from home, is bigger than anything in England or Scotland and can be very rough at times. I fish this from a planing hull 15.5ft open boat with a 25hp engine with no problems. My boat has a modest top speed of around 24-25mph and does'nt feel undergunned on a water of over 20,000 acres. Within reason, a boat with a safe design and good handling is more important than its physical size. There are a few basic guidelines to help avoid situations developing on big waters. First, common sense is a necessity when assessing the conditions and realizing when staying ashore is the sensible option. Next, an accurate weather forecast and an awareness of where you're fishing in relation to where you launched from and the wind direction on the day. Also note any islands, these can be very handy for shelter if the weather takes an unexpected turn. Next, a planing boat is safer and dryer than a bigger displacement boat. You don't need to be trying for any speed records, but a boat that can plane will obviously get around quicker and also gives a much dryer ride if it gets rough. Coming back to the slip in a displacement boat can be a very wet experience in windy conditions. A lot of the other safety considerations have been touched on such as lifejackets, anchors, etc, a flotation suit might also be worth considering. If you're not yet an experience boater, then your approach of buying the Linder with 15hp and sticking to more moderate sized waters for now is a sensible one. When you have become relaxed and familiar with boat usage and handling, you can always think about upgrading your rig as money allows and tackling somewhere bigger.

somebloke
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by somebloke » Thu Feb 14 2019 07:49

BillCollins wrote:
When it comes to buying a suitable boat, everything is relative. Most people will have a clearly defined budget with a small amount of flexibility. If you have enough money to buy a show piece with the space and power to bring the kitchen sink, then good for you, but most pikers will be operating within more modest financial limits. Some of what you read on here is genuine good advice, more is purely boasting. Yes, there are limitations regarding what is safe to use on big waters, but the tone of a lot of this thread is enough to frighten off the potential boat angler for good.
I always fish on my own from a boat, even though my mate might often be fishing from his boat on the same water. My local ''big'' lough, just 20mins drive from home, is bigger than anything in England or Scotland and can be very rough at times. I fish this from a planing hull 15.5ft open boat with a 25hp engine with no problems. My boat has a modest top speed of around 24-25mph and does'nt feel undergunned on a water of over 20,000 acres. Within reason, a boat with a safe design and good handling is more important than its physical size. There are a few basic guidelines to help avoid situations developing on big waters. First, common sense is a necessity when assessing the conditions and realizing when staying ashore is the sensible option. Next, an accurate weather forecast and an awareness of where you're fishing in relation to where you launched from and the wind direction on the day. Also note any islands, these can be very handy for shelter if the weather takes an unexpected turn. Next, a planing boat is safer and dryer than a bigger displacement boat. You don't need to be trying for any speed records, but a boat that can plane will obviously get around quicker and also gives a much dryer ride if it gets rough. Coming back to the slip in a displacement boat can be a very wet experience in windy conditions. A lot of the other safety considerations have been touched on such as lifejackets, anchors, etc, a flotation suit might also be worth considering. If you're not yet an experience boater, then your approach of buying the Linder with 15hp and sticking to more moderate sized waters for now is a sensible one. When you have become relaxed and familiar with boat usage and handling, you can always think about upgrading your rig as money allows and tackling somewhere bigger.
Good advice fella,when i got my first boat an old boy said "your first boat is never the right boat" and he was bang on, The lads i know have had up to three or four before they get the one for them.

Lucy S
Roach
Roach

Post by Lucy S » Thu Feb 14 2019 08:37

Well said Bill. A very detailed reply without missing the point of the OP

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 09:24

Lucy S wrote:
I assume that is partly directed at myself and Karl, the OP asked for people’s opinions on what boat to buy for fishing large lochs, Karl and I share the same opinion and have advised accordingly, I fail to see how we’ve missed the point? The OP did not mention budgetary requirements

Bill makes some excellent points and I largely agree however for clarity my 16ft boat runs about the same top speed as his with a 50 as his does with a 25, I always fish with a partner and Bill says he fishes alone, so straight away I have another 13 stone on board

With regards to cost, I think it’s similar to cars, you can buy pretty much anything it’s just down to the age, for example I would love a shiny new V8 sports car but I’ll never be able to afford one, however you can probably get a second hand V8 of some description for about £2500. I’ve seen old Warriors and Predators with 50’s sell for abit 3 grand, which if someone is in the market for a boat is an obtainable budget in my opinion

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Feb 14 2019 11:14

Ben wrote:
Lucy S wrote:
I assume that is partly directed at myself and Karl, the OP asked for people’s opinions on what boat to buy for fishing large lochs, Karl and I share the same opinion and have advised accordingly, I fail to see how we’ve missed the point? The OP did not mention budgetary requirements

Bill makes some excellent points and I largely agree however for clarity my 16ft boat runs about the same top speed as his with a 50 as his does with a 25, I always fish with a partner and Bill says he fishes alone, so straight away I have another 13 stone on board

With regards to cost, I think it’s similar to cars, you can buy pretty much anything it’s just down to the age, for example I would love a shiny new V8 sports car but I’ll never be able to afford one, however you can probably get a second hand V8 of some description for about £2500. I’ve seen old Warriors and Predators with 50’s sell for abit 3 grand, which if someone is in the market for a boat is an obtainable budget in my opinion
I probably weigh near enough you and your mate together anyway. :laughs:
Top speed is'nt really all that important, anything over 20mph and you're getting around ok. As long as you have enough power to get the hull up and on the move should conditions demand it.

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Thu Feb 14 2019 11:23

Design; Look at what boats the experienced local are using has always been my approach.
A well designed boat doesn't require a big engine to keep it on the plane, but it does need enough power to get it up there in the first place. Eg; my 23 centre consol with 50hp 4stroke and 3 up + gear required 3/4 trottle to get onto the plane but would stay there 1/2. and would make 29knots when wide open.
Never buy a boat without an on-the-water trial (sea trial), some boats are badly moulded and will not run true (straight) or can have an inbuilt list (tilt) which isn't apparant until under way.
A displacement hull is ideal for the short steep chop (wind against tide) encountered in the English Channel, a planer is perfect for sheltered flats or calm condition in large high powered cruisers.
High freeboard, that is the top of gunnel to the water, is an essential in any angling boat, more so if its only used occasionally.

Power; Hitting a floating object (say a bottle) on the plane can take a blade off, while a displacement bow will normally just suffer paint damage. A friend lost a lump out of his ankle when he hit an empty coke can when it went right through the hull, another lost both props when he hit a 4m plank, both were planing boats.

Conditions; On the sea wave hight is governed by fetch which is the distance the wave has travelled, and the depth of the water as waves grow higher the shallower the water but these rules only partially apply to inshore waters.
In mountainous areas everything goes out of the window because various weather systems can mix and/or cause wind to tumble (turn over) causing 'black' areas of very severe winds (as previously stated).

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Feb 14 2019 17:24

HA....!! my "usual" boat partner is probably closer to 23st than 13..... :eek:

Even my 50 feels undergunned with that much weight up front :laughs: :laughs:

But its the same as you Ben. When Im 2 up (with that much weight) it takes a little bit more to get up, but once there will still hit 25-26 and keep on the plane at 1/2 throttle. :wink:

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 18:42

1/2 throttle on the plane!? behave, especially with your mouse bitten prop 😂

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Feb 14 2019 18:58

Ben wrote:
1/2 throttle on the plane!? behave, especially with your mouse bitten prop 😂
well maybe not with certain people in....obviously :laughs:

But on my own all I need is half throttle and its 18-20 planing no probs....

As for the prop...Ive got a new one :fu:

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 19:24

I know you have a new prop but I guarantee it is not in A1 condition because you are clumsy oaf

Anyway stop sending this thread off topic you clown 🤡

Ayrshire piker
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Ayrshire piker » Tue Feb 19 2019 20:25

Jock Gordon wrote:
Use exactly the same boat with a 15 hp outboard as you have bought, fish the big lochs with it no bother, the 15 will get you back quick if the weather turns, as said always have a back up auxiliary, as for sourcing a second hand folding cuddy, good luck with that one, greatt wee boats, easily launched and retrieved.
Good to hear pal. Still a few weeks off being delivered but can't wait to get out on it. Any bits and bobs you've added to it that you find have helped?

Jock Gordon
Chub
Chub

Post by Jock Gordon » Wed Feb 20 2019 04:12

Usual stuff bud rod holders, full aluminium check plate floor, extra transom mount for auxiliary motor, front mooring cleat and 2 rear cleats, now making a tool holder come lure rack.

Derek Kelly
Roach
Roach

Post by Derek Kelly » Wed Feb 20 2019 22:27

Jock Gordon wrote:
Usual stuff bud rod holders, full aluminium check plate floor, extra transom mount for auxiliary motor, front mooring cleat and 2 rear cleats, now making a tool holder come lure rack.
Strapping rail that's found in truck trailers makes good racks jock. Angle grinder and you've plenty of small racks to space around

andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by andrew_nagel » Thu Feb 21 2019 00:26

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
After my most recent trip I am definitely looking into one of the PLB's Duncan posted a link for. :wink:
I've had one of these since I started fishing alone on the really big Swedish lakes and the open Baltic:
https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plb

It's a bit bulkier than an old Nokia type mobile, so fits in a pocket. My drysuit has a pocket on the arm especially for one of these.
You need to register it with the relevant rescue authorities to assign it with an MMSI number. By giving your PLB an MMSI number it becomes effective as an EPIRB transmitter, so it is 'visible' to all vessels and emergency services using the system. The info in this link relates to Denmark, but it'll give you some idea of what you are looking for as UK equivalent info. The bit about registering with an MMSi number is second paragraph from the bottom.

https://www.dma.dk/SynRegistrering/Anso ... ignal.aspx

Jock Gordon
Chub
Chub

Post by Jock Gordon » Thu Feb 21 2019 01:00

Good idea that Derek, just made one from angled aluminium holds unhooking tools and lures.