Orkney floor

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Orkney floor

Post by Alan_dalton » Fri Feb 08 2019 11:50

Any good ideas on a floor for a coastliner. Found the water swilling about in the bottom of the boat a bit annoying so need to fit a slightly raised floor. Anyone done this?
Last edited by Alan_dalton on Fri Feb 08 2019 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Re: Orkney floor

Post by Mark_Houghton » Fri Feb 08 2019 12:10

Alan_dalton wrote:
Any good ideas on a floor for a coastlimer. Found the water swilling about in the bottom of the boat a bit annoying so need to fit a slightly raised floor. Anyone done this?
Easier job would be to just fit a bilge pump with an auto switch Alan, which will drain any water away as it occurs. I think from memory the Coastliners have a small well where the bung is located at the stern, perfect place to fit a bilge pump :thumbs:

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Fri Feb 08 2019 13:13

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
Any good ideas on a floor for a coastlimer. Found the water swilling about in the bottom of the boat a bit annoying so need to fit a slightly raised floor. Anyone done this?
Easier job would be to just fit a bilge pump with an auto switch Alan, which will drain any water away as it occurs. I think from memory the Coastliners have a small well where the bung is located at the stern, perfect place to fit a bilge pump :thumbs:
It has a bilge pump fitted but it ha a very shallow keel so the bilge pump won't empty it. Unless I can get a different style pump possibly

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Fri Feb 08 2019 13:57

Alan_dalton wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
It has a bilge pump fitted but it ha a very shallow keel so the bilge pump won't empty it. Unless I can get a different style pump possibly
What sort of pump is fitted Alan? any chance of a pic?

Carlperkins
WhatsApp Admin
WhatsApp Admin

Post by Carlperkins » Fri Feb 08 2019 14:40

Get some rubber horse matting
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Fri Feb 08 2019 15:14

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
What sort of pump is fitted Alan? any chance of a pic?
Will get a photo tonight once I have finished work

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Sat Feb 09 2019 10:11

Very shallow bilge!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Sat Feb 09 2019 10:45

Bear in mind the inside of the hull isn't as well protected as the exterior.
Water will almost certainly find its ways into the GRP if you don't keep it dry, shortening its life and/or resale value.
If its at home the best protection is a well fitted cover, regular inspections and allowing it to breathe on days of sun and a gentle breeze.

Looking at the state of it already I would clean and dry it thoroughly then give it a coat of hard antifouling to stall the growth of green stuff and keep it watertight.
If you want it non-slip add granulated sugar and hose it off and tip it out when its dry. If you dont use it in bare feet add coarse sand.

If its only used occasionally use old house mats (not the foam back variety) on the floor and take them out to dry and store underneath when the boats not used, or dump them if you've access to the skips of carpet stores.

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Sat Feb 09 2019 10:50

Mike J wrote:
Water will almost certainly find its ways into the GRP if you don't keep it dry, shortening its life and/or resale value.
If its at home the best protection is a well fitted cover, regular inspections and allowing it to breathe on days of sun and a gentle breeze.

Looking at the state of it already I would clean and dry it thoroughly then give it a coat of hard antifouling to stall the growth of green stuff and keep it watertight.
If you want it non-slip add granulated sugar and hose it off and tip it out when its dry. If you dont use it in bare feet add coarse sand.

If its only used occasionally use old house mats (not the foam back variety) on the floor and take them out to dry and store underneath when the boats not used, or dump them if you've access to the skips of carpet stores.
It's kept in a lockup. So looks like it will have to me mats

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Sat Feb 09 2019 11:07

I think you are on about when your out fishing and its raining or landing fish with a net it all mounts up every drop and all that :wink:

Put some treated 1" ply down then get some honeycomb matting this will stop it sloshing around your feet until theres enough in to pump it out :smile:

When on the slip take the bung out to drain it all out :thumbs:

This type of stuff

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gateway-gras ... :rk:1:pf:0

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

Don't forget you lot the only reason this forum exists is because of me :smile:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :smile:

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Sat Feb 09 2019 11:13

Alan_dalton wrote:
Mike J wrote:

Why not the two birds one stone option of raising the floor permanently using a pour-on self leveling rubber compound?
I have seen it done using melted rubber from old tyres.

NB; blank off the bilge channel beforehand.

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Sat Feb 09 2019 11:18

Might just stick a manual pump in. That will pump it out and be a much simpler option

Malc Green
Perch
Perch

Post by Malc Green » Sat Feb 09 2019 13:00

Alan_dalton wrote:
Might just stick a manual pump in. That will pump it out and be a much simpler option
+1. I fitted one of those electric pumps it was only ok when the boat had over an inch of water in it. They really are only for boats with a recessed flat sump.
I use a hand pump with the end in the small well and for any residue water and a clean up i use a decorators sponge.
Be careful with the thickness of the mats as if they are too thick you won't be able to open the rear bulkhead door to gain access to the fuel tank without a lot of faff.

I just use a sheet of 10mm neoprene sheet on the floor easy to take up and keep clean also soft enough to use as an unhooking mat.

With regards to boat floor i've just jet washed after each season but repainted with deck paint every 2 seasons had no trouble with it for 16yrs.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker

Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton » Sat Feb 09 2019 13:22

Mike J wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
Mike J wrote:

Why not the two birds one stone option of raising the floor permanently using a pour-on self leveling rubber compound?
I have seen it done using melted rubber from old tyres.

NB; blank off the bilge channel beforehand.
A mate of mine did that and ended up hating it. The rubber compound would get tacky on hot days and anything and everything would stick to it a bit!

If a boat suits a marine ply floor takes some beating otherwise it's quality matting of some kind. The floor is real important for enjoyable and safe boat angling.

rob

rob

andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sat Feb 09 2019 15:58

Can't beat a sponge for getting the last small amounts of water out.

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Sun Feb 10 2019 12:30

I took a look at my Orkney 14, with the design there is no way you will pump it completely dry. The last few drops will be under the fuel tank and there is a slight lip forward up to the higher main deck area. Sponge should do as you’re talking a cupful at most.

EDIT: added a photo of my Coastliner 14 (Sorry can't rotate photo for some reason....)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by OftenBlank on Thu Feb 14 2019 13:17, edited 3 times in total.

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Sun Feb 10 2019 13:30

In your photo, what’s the purpose of the second bung / drain (one near front) that Orkney have fitted? There is one on my boat too.

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Sun Feb 10 2019 13:52

OftenBlank wrote:
In your photo, what’s the purpose of the second bung / drain (one near front) that Orkney have fitted? There is one on my boat too.
That drains the keel

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Sun Feb 10 2019 14:14

Thanks- obvious really but wanted to check.

bigaldo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by bigaldo » Thu Feb 14 2019 06:55

Alan my strikeliner has the same floor arrangement. I wouldnt put anything on the floor other than a good non slip floor paint. Depending how clumsy you are you get a minimum of 2 years from it.
A hand pump sorts out the water in the sump. I had 4 incges of water in the boat last week when i woke up! The rain was bouncing down all night!
"Alll the battles are won, but I'm still on the run"

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 12:10

+1 for the matting stuff Carl and Grant mentioned
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal - thank you