Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
dave-newman
Perch
Perch

Re: trace wire

Post by dave-newman » Fri Jun 14 2019 09:00

Mike J wrote:
dave-newman wrote:

Buy the AFW if its the same Eddie who sponsors our Forum.
If not go Masons, less money for twice the length.

:thumbs:
i purchase all my AFW from Mr T, but the small spools, now im wanting to bulk it which is going to be more cost effective

martin(rockape)
Perch
Perch

Post by martin(rockape) » Fri Jun 14 2019 09:19

Masons for me. Yes after a few scraps it may curl a bit but it's still perfectly good to use.

As for fraying, i believe you mean when you cut the wire?
If thats the case then ensure that you cut the wire in the throat of the scissors not the end you'll get a nice clean cut.

And as already mentioned sleaves or a small piece of shrink tube on the tag end will seal off any fraying and the sharp point(s).

Regards

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Fri Jun 14 2019 09:29

martin(rockape) wrote:
Masons for me. Yes after a few scraps it may curl a bit but it's still perfectly good to use.

As for fraying, i believe you mean when you cut the wire?
If thats the case then ensure that you cut the wire in the throat of the scissors not the end you'll get a nice clean cut.

And as already mentioned sleaves or a small piece of shrink tube on the tag end will seal off any fraying and the sharp point(s).

Regards

:handshake:

The best thing about Masons is you can take the curls out with your fingers, from '80's Tide Cheater and Marlin Steel through to todays wires only Masons allow you to do that.
Its the reason why I have regularly caught 5or6 without needing a change.

martin(rockape)
Perch
Perch

Post by martin(rockape) » Fri Jun 14 2019 09:38

Thanks for the tip. But we both know that pike don't care about this its just some of us anglers.

Regards

Martin

Neil66T
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Neil66T » Fri Jun 14 2019 16:00

AFW for me, but i’ve Just been given some ti traces to use for this season, built by Rob Lawrie an RO for Herts PAC region, they look awesome and he does sell them badged as Voodoo traces; looking forward to using them.

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Tue Jun 25 2019 12:27

Depends on the presentation I want....

Fishing waters where I don't have any issues getting takes... Nevs ti wire.
When I want more finesse..... AFW surflon micro supreme 7x7 knotted.

http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackl ... me-22.html
Love the hit!

Richsheff
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Richsheff » Wed Sep 11 2019 21:30

Flipflopjoe wrote:
I use Savage gear Raw 49, 35lb. So much more flexible, unkinkable and knotable than the e-sox 7 strand stuff I was using previously. I defo reccomend it :thumbs:
Can i ask what knot you would advise ? Thanks.
Looking for a knottable wire rather than crimps . Have been looking at this savage gear stuff earlier.

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Thu Sep 12 2019 08:13

Easiest wire to knot is Rio Wire Bite aka AFW 7x7 surflon - nylon covered, very limp, high quality, produced in the USA.

Albright Knot on the reel line to the doubled wire and 5turn Uni-knot the wire to the link/swivel/hook.

Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Flipflopjoe » Thu Sep 12 2019 12:55

Richsheff wrote:
Flipflopjoe wrote:
I use Savage gear Raw 49, 35lb. So much more flexible, unkinkable and knotable than the e-sox 7 strand stuff I was using previously. I defo reccomend it :thumbs:
Looking for a knottable wire rather than crimps . Have been looking at this savage gear stuff earlier.
I don’t even know the name of the knot :laughs:
I’ll try an do a quick sketch of it for you tho !
It’s probably not the best method, some other more experienced fellas might have a better way.

Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Flipflopjoe » Thu Sep 12 2019 16:57

2037398A-0684-4595-BFFC-ECB399B8EEF0.jpeg
When you make the loops around the main line, you’ve got to put the second loop BEHIND the first loop, then when you pass the tag end through the loops, the loops should come apart as a figure of 8 (best I can describe it sorry :scratch: )
Also, you’ve got to pull the knot tight before you slide it down to the link otherwise the wire will curl and kink.
Then just clamp you’re forceps on the tag end and spin them round the main line till they fly off (don’t do it near a window :laughs: ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishandy
Roach
Roach

Post by fishandy » Thu Sep 12 2019 17:00

afw 49 strand wire knotted crimped or twisted what is best and safest

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Thu Sep 12 2019 17:23

fishandy wrote:
The US produced AFW is certainly the superior wire.

30 plus years ago we could buy bulk spools of high quality US made wire in most good tackle shops, now all thats available are mini spools that cost X5or6 and wont last 'till Christmas on a snaggy place.

Richsheff
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Richsheff » Thu Sep 12 2019 17:56

Flipflopjoe wrote:
Richsheff wrote:
Flipflopjoe wrote:
I don’t even know the name of the knot :laughs:
I’ll try an do a quick sketch of it for you tho !
It’s probably not the best method, some other more experienced fellas might have a better way.
Great. Thanks !

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Sep 12 2019 19:31

fishandy wrote:
You cant twist it.
Crimp it for a loop or swivel knot less knot the hook

fishandy
Roach
Roach

Post by fishandy » Sat Sep 14 2019 17:31

just visited the ET site and he has a new 13lb wire, anyone tried it too light for pike , but maybe ideal for perch

Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Flipflopjoe » Sat Sep 14 2019 19:24

fishandy wrote:
just visited the ET site and he has a new 13lb wire, anyone tried it too light for pike , but maybe ideal for perch
I use drennan e-sox super soft wire in 10lb for perch. Probably a total fluke but I landed a 22lb pike on it :laughs:

fishandy
Roach
Roach

Post by fishandy » Yesterday 12:19

used the Drennan 12lb green wire, but the perch don't like it lots of dinks on the rod end but few proper runs ,a change to any sort of braid and the takes are all unmissable sail aways ,currently experimenting with a short biting trace of a few inches tied to braid, always worried about pike grabbing the bait and biting me off , using circle hooks fished , bolt rig style,all perch are hooked in corner of their mouths, not had any pike yet but hoping for the same hook hold .I keep reading about braid like wire but when I use them the all seem like thin wire to me hoping for better from ET this time ,sent a message about what size of crimp to use with the 13lb wire but not heard back yet