Safety Scheme

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Predator
Stickleback
Stickleback

Safety Scheme

Post by Predator » Thu Feb 14 2019 01:12

Hi I am looking at licencing my boat but I'm not sure if I need a certificate. I've got two leisure batteries for engine starting, fish finder, live well, bilge pump etc (usual stuff) Does this mean I've got an electrical system ? if so then virtually all of us need one! Can anyone shed some light please, cheers
http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/1197.pdf
Mal Jones

Predator
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Safety Scheme

Post by Predator » Thu Feb 14 2019 01:16

Sorry I meant to say it's an open vessel with no gas appliances
Mal Jones

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Thu Feb 14 2019 08:02

I have never botherd just another tax

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Thu Feb 14 2019 08:12

Not needed if it's a private open vessel.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Predator
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Predator » Thu Feb 14 2019 10:26

Screenshot_20190214-091536.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mal Jones

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 10:33

Open boat not needed. If you have a cabin with fixed cooker lights etc you do.

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Feb 14 2019 10:37

Kev Berry wrote:
I believe if you have ANY electrics on the vessel you require one....unless the craft is less than 5yrs old. After which you will need to have one.

Which reminds me, I need to get one for mine this year ....... :sad:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 10:48

How much are these and who has the authority to police it and what is the penalty for not having one?
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal - thank you

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Feb 14 2019 10:51

Ben wrote:
How much are these and who has the authority to police it and what is the penalty for not having one?
I maybe wrong, but I think should anything happen your insurance would be null and void if you needed to claim ?

Down this way I believe the BA would police it, not that I have ever been asked to provide proof. :scratch:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 11:02

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
I believe if you have ANY electrics on the vessel you require one....unless the craft is less than 5yrs old. After which you will need to have one.

Which reminds me, I need to get one for mine this year ....... :sad:
I did ask CRT. Told them I had battery start bilge pump dead bait pump and nav lights....said as it was open boat didn't need it

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 11:56

Based on that flow chart slightly contradicting what Kev has experienced I think a clear definition of “electrical system” is required
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal - thank you

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 14:49

Ben wrote:
Based on that flow chart slightly contradicting what Kev has experienced I think a clear definition of “electrical system” is required
I think its geared more to houseboats/day cruisers

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 15:08

Yeah I agree Kev but some definition would be nice, such as 12v battery systems running off a 110ah source to power a bilge pump and devices such as nav lights and sonar are not classed as an electrical system

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 15:29

Just spoke to them again. If you running a battery for sonar bilge pumps etc you dont need a certificate. It's meant for stuff that's built into boats....gas cookers...cabin lights etc

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Feb 14 2019 16:54

Kev Berry wrote:
Just spoke to them again. If you running a battery for sonar bilge pumps etc you dont need a certificate. It's meant for stuff that's built into boats....gas cookers...cabin lights etc
That’s different from what I’ve been told ????

Maybe because all my electrics are built in :scratch: :shrug:

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 17:11

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:

by built in I think they mean from new, part of the boats build like what you get for canal boats and such, not just things wired for fishing---that's the way the nice crt lady put it

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Feb 14 2019 17:18

Kev Berry wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:

by built in I think they mean from new, part of the boats build like what you get for canal boats and such, not just things wired for fishing---that's the way the nice crt lady put it
Yeah, there in lies the issue I guess Kev. Mine are all wired in from new, 2 kill switches, circuit breakers, fuse boards, running lights, internal lights etc :shrug: .

I still think I'd be looking for a second option though.....just incase...! you know what insurance companies are like, any excuse not to pay out should the worst happen !!

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 17:49

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:

Yeah, there in lies the issue I guess Kev. Mine are all wired in from new, 2 kill switches, circuit breakers, fuse boards, running lights, internal lights etc :shrug: .

I still think I'd be looking for a second option though.....just incase...! you know what insurance companies are like, any excuse not to pay out should the worst happen !!
why do you need a certificate? if you were using it in estuaries, private lakes etc you wouldn't need one. If it was an insurance thing they would ask for one. its just the crt making sure some of the old floating cesspits that people live on a few days a year are saf. It will be THEIR insurance insisting on it as they sell licences to people going afloat and are therefore responsible for what they licence.

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Feb 14 2019 17:57

https://www.gov.uk/owning-a-boat/safety ... -waterways
https://www.gov.uk/owning-a-boat
Like I said, its best to double check....
On the broads if the outboard is electric start, even if an "open boat" you need the cert.....Like I said if there's a way for the insurance company to get out of paying they will.

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 18:41

Gotta say I am leaning towards Karl on this from the insurance angle, they are slimy c***s

How much is this poxy certificate?

Predator
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Predator » Thu Feb 14 2019 20:23

Found this Faq on the Boat Safety Scheme Website
"My boat is very small and has an outboard motor, do I need BSS Certification? "
(Answer)
On most waterways, a BSS Examination is not required in respect of any privately owned, open vessel (i.e. a vessel in which all the accommodation is completely open to the elements) if it has no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed and it is propelled solely by an outboard engine. The decision rests with the navigation authority that will be licensing or registering your boat.

Also contact your navigation authority if you have a craft in public use or a workboat fo
Mal Jones

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 22:18

Predator wrote:
"My boat is very small and has an outboard motor, do I need BSS Certification? "
(Answer)
On most waterways, a BSS Examination is not required in respect of any privately owned, open vessel (i.e. a vessel in which all the accommodation is completely open to the elements) if it has no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed and it is propelled solely by an outboard engine. The decision rests with the navigation authority that will be licensing or registering your boat.

Also contact your navigation authority if you have a craft in public use or a workboat fo
that's what the woman at crt says---domestic cooker means a FIXED appliance, like--a cooker, not a portable gas stove. fixed lighting means domestic lights---not navigation lighting---note it says all the accommodation open to the elements----that includes an open cuddy boat

if in doubt have a word with your insurance

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Thu Feb 14 2019 22:44

Kev Berry wrote:
Predator wrote:
(Answer)

that's what the woman at crt says---domestic cooker means a FIXED appliance, like--a cooker, not a portable gas stove. fixed lighting means domestic lights---not navigation lighting---note it says all the accommodation open to the elements----that includes an open cuddy boat

So canvas doors on my cuddy will mean I should have a ticket now!

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 22:55

Thanks for posting that mate, I was going to call you Pred then but that’s reserved for The Predator (Andy)

May we have a first name or initial to call you by young Jedi? 👍🏼

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 22:58

Alan_dalton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Predator wrote:
(Answer)

I dont know Alan, but not unless you have fixed lighting or cooker--- and is a canvas door a "fixed" or removable door?

Predator
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Predator » Thu Feb 14 2019 23:00

Hi Ben, it's Mal, I did try to modify my username but I can't find any way to do it.
Mal Jones

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Thu Feb 14 2019 23:19

Kev Berry wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Predator wrote:
(Answer)

I dont know Alan, but not unless you have fixed lighting or cooker--- and is a canvas door a "fixed" or removable door?
To be honest won't bother, haven't even bothered registering it!! I have fixed an led light inside the cuddy so I'm guessing I would need one. If it came to it I will take it off and unzip the cuddy doors!

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 14 2019 23:34

Alan_dalton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Predator wrote:
(Answer)

To be honest won't bother, haven't even bothered registering it!! I have fixed an led light inside the cuddy so I'm guessing I would need one. If it came to it I will take it off and unzip the cuddy doors!
what they are bothered about is dodgy wiring setting fire to the boat

just ring 03030404040 and have a word with nice lady. Just ask if you need a certificate for your boat and describe it

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Thu Feb 14 2019 23:43

Kev Berry wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Predator wrote:
(Answer)

what they are bothered about is dodgy wiring setting fire to the boat

just ring 03030404040 and have a word with nice lady. Just ask if you need a certificate for your boat and describe it
I did the wiring...it is dodgy!

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 14 2019 23:52

Predator wrote:
Hi Ben, it's Mal, I did try to modify my username but I can't find any way to do it.
I can do it Mal, but there’s no need really unless you want to, Predator and The Predator are different

The real Pred is just a lurker now anyway 😂

Maybe that’s where his name actually comes from 🙈