Theoben Airguns

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Theoben Airguns

Post by Stewlaws »

If you're selling the mk111 I would love first offer if possible....
colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb »

Theoben was founded by 2 friends of mine from Cambridge. Dave Theobold RIP and Ben Taylor. Ben thought it all up and Dave was the engineer. The company had a management buyout some years ago and it ended up in the USA where it went capput. I used to supply Ben and Dave not just their tyres for their cars but also Schrader valve cores to keep the gas up to pressure. Eliminators had the valve sealed with Araldite back in the day, heating Araldite will soften it for removal I believe but that's not something I would want to try.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Stewlaws wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 20:41 -
If you're selling the mk111 I would love first offer if possible....

Hi Stew,
Are you still interested in a Mklll ?

PM if yes and I will send you some pics.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

You sorted yourself out with a new rifle now Mike?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Yes :grin:
I finally settled on a Walther LGU Master Pro with the XM trigger system in .177, adding a Sportmatch mount and a 1-4x24 30mm Nikko.
I initially fired a few shots to clean rhe barrle then sighted in at 18m standing+rest and within a few adjustments it was putting shot upon shot consistantly.

Since then it has been deployed with 100% effect on rats raiding my bird feeder which only ceased because I ran out of rats!

IMG_1984.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Nice guns, they also do the LGV which is a break barrel version of the same gun and lighter at the front for standing.

You probably know that Walther provide the barrels for one or two other gun makers.

I'd still go for the AA pro sport though :wink:
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Nice looking setup Mike
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bob,
I tried/shouldered the V version alternately with a U and didnt find much difference, not that I will be doing any standing freehand shooting but the oppotunity was available.
With guns Im more than a little picky, far worse than with rods or reels, and what I do find most annoying is the bulky stock with forward sloping cheek rests on BOTH sides and the totally irrelevant rubber recoil pad (havent the krauts noticed its a bl00dy air gun).
Both these useless apendages are down for alterations when time allows, Im not worried about devalueing the resell value, my 60's Mk3 lasted me until this Walther so I will die with it or give it away when Im in my dotage.

Brian,
Thanks, I admit it has nice lines but for me guns have always been a tool for a job and if it doesn't do what its supposed to its rubbish no matter is its pretty or not.
Bit like a nice looking woman who cannot cook/clean/drive or ????

:handshake:
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Agreed Mike, they are tools also for me, I’ve never understood why they have to have so much bling on them and grades Wood, engravings etc, I own 7 various guns and only 2 have wood on ,them, all the rest have synthetic stocks , as long as it does the job I need it for it doesn’t have to look pretty
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Mon Mar 23 2020 07:55 -
Agreed Mike, they are tools also for me, I’ve never understood why they have to have so much bling on them and grades Wood, engravings etc, I own 7 various guns and only 2 have wood on ,them, all the rest have synthetic stocks , as long as it does the job I need it for it doesn’t have to look pretty

You will not be surpised to learn Ive actually be looking at synthetic stocks this week.
I have small hands and the hand grip is better suited to a gorilla so thats down for alteration when I remove the cheek rest on the other side.

This company makes some nice stocks
https://grsriflestocks.ams3.digitalocea ... -pages.pdf

Tho its better if you don't look at the prices :grin:
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

02A7AD6B-8131-40D3-89AA-DC3838FEF245.jpeg
I did look at a beserker stock at the recent gun show at NEC, very nice but I couldn’t warrant that sort of cash for a single chassis.
I opted for this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Tue Mar 24 2020 09:43 -
02A7AD6B-8131-40D3-89AA-DC3838FEF245.jpeg
I did look at a beserker stock at the recent gun show at NEC, very nice but I couldn’t warrant that sort of cash for a single chassis.
I opted for this

Nice.
Did it improve the accuracy?
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Definitely on long range shots, much more comfortable to use with the various adjustment points on it, plus the pistol grip is very user friendly, I put it on. Tikka T3 which is arguably one of the most accurate shop bought cf rifles you can get and it definitely made it better
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

I've a weihrauch hw100 KT with the pistol grip stock, which is very comfortable to hold and puts my fingers in a good position for the trigger.
Custom stocks aren't cheap, it may be easier on the wallet to trade in for something with the stock you prefer or even buy another. There's going to be some good cheap guns for sale by the end of the coronavirus I'm sure.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Tue Mar 24 2020 15:55 -
Definitely on long range shots, much more comfortable to use with the various adjustment points on it, plus the pistol grip is very user friendly, I put it on. Tikka T3 which is arguably one of the most accurate shop bought cf rifles you can get and it definitely made it better

I shot one of the first Tikka imports and it sure was a nice tool, but when given the choice preferred my old Mannlicher until I packed up.
A Mil friend who has shot the AI 08s tells me they have the finest stock he's ever used, well outside our options tho.

:shake:

Esoxuk wrote: Wed Mar 25 2020 20:09 -
I've a weihrauch hw100 KT with the pistol grip stock, which is very comfortable to hold and puts my fingers in a good position for the trigger.
Custom stocks aren't cheap, it may be easier on the wallet to trade in for something with the stock you prefer or even buy another. There's going to be some good cheap guns for sale by the end of the coronavirus I'm sure.

I will alter my own stock to start with.
The Varmit model of the LGU comes with a synthetic stock but users say its too light and of poor quality which is why I have dismissed it.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 11:13 -
Stewlaws wrote: Sun Jul 21 2019 17:46 -
Mike do you have a Webley mk111 ?

Yes, I bought it new in 1964.
Great gun in .22, with I have shot rats by the thousand plus a good many pigeons and crows. Still have a tin of wasp slugs as well :grin:

The other is an Original Model 50 circa late '50's one of the very first underlever rifles and made with the Stutsen style stock, it seems they are much sought after by collectors as they evolved from a WWII training weapon.
sounds like you like your air rifles mike
i bit like myself and my son
we have a nice collection too
i also have a mark 1 rapid seven in an original condition from new , also had a camo stock made for it , so the original stock is mint
heard there going for very good prices as they can be easily adapted to FAC... THE MRK 1 MODELS .... it shoots superbly
once shot a rabbit at 60 yards dead just below the ear ...not bad for a 12 foot lb gun .....my mate would not beleive it was 12lb till i had it crono graphed ....
it was bang on 12lb ........
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Esoxuk wrote: Wed Mar 25 2020 20:09 -
dont think so mate , the prices of guns have gone crazy ...... just on the up i would say ..
i have a few mates in the trade and it gone loopy cant get hold of good quality guns for love of money ...
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

I had 2 Rapid 7 Mk1's great guns, still have an FAC kit for one somewhere!!
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Jun 05 2021 20:50 -

i also have a mark 1 rapid seven in an original condition from new , also had a camo stock made for it , so the original stock is mint
heard there going for very good prices as they can be easily adapted to FAC... THE MRK 1 MODELS .... it shoots superbly
once shot a rabbit at 60 yards dead just below the ear ...not bad for a 12 foot lb gun .....my mate would not beleive it was 12lb till i had it crono graphed ....

I like them yes, but Im certainly not an enthusiast or collector I just like to have one around for the rats.
Model 50 and Mk3 are for sale so PM me if your interested.

Ive never shot a pcp but Id be pleased if I could do it at 40 with an old springer.

stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Sun Jun 06 2021 09:48 -

I like them yes, but Im certainly not an enthusiast or collector I just like to have one around for the rats.

Ive never shot a pcp but Id be pleased if I could do it at 40 with an old springer.

we have a few old type springers , but mike i have to say try a PCP, they make a springer feel like a old bow and arrow , once youve shot with one
no shudder ,faster...and no recoil .....my mates just turned over to PCP and he is blown away with the accuracy of todays modern pcp
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Jun 07 2021 19:57 -

we have a few old type springers , but mike i have to say try a PCP, they make a springer feel like a old bow and arrow , once youve shot with one
no shudder ,faster...and no recoil .....my mates just turned over to PCP and he is blown away with the accuracy of todays modern pcp

Each to their own, I may try a PCP but I will never own one.
I want something that is available any minute of the day, week, year or decade, no fuss, no extra equipment, just compress, load and shoot, reliability.

stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jun 07 2021 21:15 -
stubbojo wrote: Mon Jun 07 2021 19:57 -

i know were your coming from mike , there is a bit of kit involved to a precharged
Each to their own, I may try a PCP but I will never own one.
I want something that is available any minute of the day, week, year or decade, no fuss, no extra equipment, just compress, load and shoot, reliability.

:thumbs: i know what you mean mike
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

There's something neanderthalic about shooting a springer, I have a cheap westlake that hits about 9 1/2 ft/lb more if I diesel it😉 great fun but my BSA ultra is far superior on the accuracy and noise levels.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: Tue Jun 08 2021 13:16 -
There's something neanderthalic about shooting a springer, I have a cheap westlake that hits about 9 1/2 ft/lb more if I diesel it😉 great fun but my BSA ultra is far superior on the accuracy and noise levels.
i also own a S200 super accurate lightweight pcp had that from new also ......wish i had it in 177 .....
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

S200 are great guns, a mate has one, I had a S400 with a 7 shot mag converter fitted which I sold with the intention of buying the S410, in the meantime the ultra popped up cheap, low shot count which I increased by fitting a regulator and I love it, Air Arms are my favourite guns though.

Still talking myself out of/into???? :roll: :shrug: a pro sport, arguably the best springer available!
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Jun 12 2021 09:18 -
S200 are great guns, a mate has one, I had a S400 with a 7 shot mag converter fitted which I sold with the intention of buying the S410, in the meantime the ultra popped up cheap, low shot count which I increased by fitting a regulator and I love it, Air Arms are my favourite guns though.

Still talking myself out of/into???? :roll: :shrug: a pro sport, arguably the best springer available!
I’ve got the s410 thumb hole, great gun, had it from new probably 20 years ago now, still serves a purpose now and then.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

my mate has just traded his s200 in for a H100 german pcp cant pronounce it ...not so much pronounce spell it
stunning gun ...he has it set for 35 yards for his garden , to eliminate the magpies , and rats
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Jun 13 2021 22:20 -
my mate has just traded his s200 in for a H100 german pcp cant pronounce it ...not so much pronounce spell it
stunning gun ...he has it set for 35 yards for his garden , to eliminate the magpies , and rats
Weihrauch!!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Jun 14 2021 17:36 -
Weihrauch!!
thats the one ......funny word that weihrauch can never remember how to spell it ...good guns had a few springers
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Jun 14 2021 19:46 -
Bob Watson wrote: Mon Jun 14 2021 17:36 -
Weihrauch!!
thats the one ......funny word that weihrauch can never remember how to spell it ...good guns had a few springers

Walther, its easier,

and accurate 👍