Sun Glasses

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
User avatar
Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu May 09 2019 19:50

Its down to lens quality...the cheeper end of the spectrum, the glass could be flawed, or have imperfections which, may not be readily noticeable WILL effect your eyes.

Same with camera lenses....spend money on quality glass..!

We could have the same discussion about rods. They ALL do exactly the same thing. SO why have a Lumby, or Broadland rod when a £40 Chinese jobbie does the same.....answer. Quality.
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

User avatar
martin godliman
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4617
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by martin godliman » Fri May 10 2019 07:07

Mark Phillips wrote:
My standard response to this thread, which pops up every 3.56 months... OAKLEYS, end of. I would also say Wiley and probably Costas as well, but the latter are all pig ugly IMO and way over-priced for what they are. Anyone who thinks there's nothing to be gained by spending some proper money is utterly wrong. The difference is literally night and day between quality polaroid lenses and cheap tat from the tackle companies, all made in China to the lowest bidder.

Dependant on light conditions, I often swap between a couple of pairs on the day; I own two pairs of Angling Specific Bottle Rockets in black and blue mirror polarised lenses and three pairs of Flak 2 XL's, in jade prizm (my fav) and black prizm polarised, plus ruby prizm (use these for driving and day wear, not fishing, as not polarised). They're all just the mutts nuts. If you're a keen angler, owning decent shades is a must and if you lure fish, essential.
How much all that lot Mark ?
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

User avatar
Mike J
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3290
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Mike J » Fri May 10 2019 10:10

Catfish Paul wrote:
Mike- I was in Robjents a couple of weeks ago, should've looked at the glasses then but to be fair, I didn't cross my mind at the time.
Chatted to a very knowledgeable young man in there.

I will call in there either this weekend or next, as I do fish in the area.

Kev - in your opinion are the Fox glasses of decent quality? Ie build quality etc. You state that they have all the required attributes but is the overall quality good?
Fox stuff as we know can be very hit or miss

Oh decisions, decisions

I'm tempted to get both 😁

Hi Paul,
Alistair Robjent is probably the most helpful shop owner I have ever had the pleasure to buy tackle from.
A recent rod purchase was found to be wanting, he ordered me a heavier replacement saying I could use the original until it arrived (I didnt).
The line I needed wasnt available from the supplier so he suggested something slighlty different, advising me to cut it back and if it still didnt work he would exchange it with the new stock from the US, but within 24hrs his supplier had tracked down the original line, delivered it to the shop and I had it in my hand.
I would advise you to drop in and go through the full tangle of sunnies in the rotary displays on the left of the rod room, ask Alistair himslef for his advice and ask to try them on the water 'out the back' or the Greyhound beat behind the pub. If you buy a pair ensure you get a neck cord, Ive lost two pairs leaning over water without one.
-
Kev,
No doubt your Fox offerings are good value, I thought the same from Boots Opticians (£19.95/pair), but a quick scan of the Chinese producers will reveal dozens are $3-/pair or less than $2 if you will buy 1000, even those with multi-colour transferable lenses are cheap as chips.
-

For what they really cost I would have paid £1000s for a pair if it had meant my eyes where fully protected from day one.

The true cost to your eyesight can only be assessed when your too old to realise you made the wrong choice of eye protection.

:shrug:

zodiac
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1968
Joined: Sat Oct 22 2011 05:00
Location: central jockland

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by zodiac » Sat May 11 2019 10:53

'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

User avatar
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum
Posts: 4077
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Ben » Sat May 11 2019 11:25

Duncan Holmes wrote:
I wouldn't trust my eyes to be protected from uv by an unknown brand.

Rayban's or Oakley's for me as I trust the UV protection is there, cheaper brands may cut out the glare, but not the UV.
+1

Although my Dad has a pair of Serengeti which are on par with RayBan and Oakley, they’ve got a nice blue tint and perfect for the boat
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal - thank you

User avatar
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3021
Joined: Tue Aug 30 2011 05:00
Location: Essex

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Mark Phillips » Thu May 16 2019 19:22

martin godliman wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
My standard response to this thread, which pops up every 3.56 months... OAKLEYS, end of. I would also say Wiley and probably Costas as well, but the latter are all pig ugly IMO and way over-priced for what they are. Anyone who thinks there's nothing to be gained by spending some proper money is utterly wrong. The difference is literally night and day between quality polaroid lenses and cheap tat from the tackle companies, all made in China to the lowest bidder.

Dependant on light conditions, I often swap between a couple of pairs on the day; I own two pairs of Angling Specific Bottle Rockets in black and blue mirror polarised lenses and three pairs of Flak 2 XL's, in jade prizm (my fav) and black prizm polarised, plus ruby prizm (use these for driving and day wear, not fishing, as not polarised). They're all just the mutts nuts. If you're a keen angler, owning decent shades is a must and if you lure fish, essential.
How much all that lot Mark ?
About £500 Martin. Obviously not bought at once and I got at least 3 pairs in sales. I've still got my eye on getting a couple more. It's nearly as bad as collecting lures...

User avatar
martin godliman
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4617
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by martin godliman » Thu May 16 2019 19:31

Mark Phillips wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
My standard response to this thread, which pops up every 3.56 months... OAKLEYS, end of. I would also say Wiley and probably Costas as well, but the latter are all pig ugly IMO and way over-priced for what they are. Anyone who thinks there's nothing to be gained by spending some proper money is utterly wrong. The difference is literally night and day between quality polaroid lenses and cheap tat from the tackle companies, all made in China to the lowest bidder.

Dependant on light conditions, I often swap between a couple of pairs on the day; I own two pairs of Angling Specific Bottle Rockets in black and blue mirror polarised lenses and three pairs of Flak 2 XL's, in jade prizm (my fav) and black prizm polarised, plus ruby prizm (use these for driving and day wear, not fishing, as not polarised). They're all just the mutts nuts. If you're a keen angler, owning decent shades is a must and if you lure fish, essential.
How much all that lot Mark ?
About £500 Martin, so less than I spend on petrol each month and obviously not bought at once and I got at least 3 pairs in sales. I've still got my on a couple more. It's nearly as bad as collecting lures...
Phew that sounds like lot Mark, I have looked through other peoples expensive sunglasses my son's got some and they are nice but no more protective than a good twenty quid pair....according to official medical advice ??

I've stopped collecting lures, I buy or make the odd one from time to time I haven't worn out the ones I've already got :grin:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

User avatar
Mike J
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3290
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Mike J » Fri May 17 2019 17:34

Eye damage, my experience.

Today I underwent a full eye examination at a private clinic, very detailed, four separate examination rooms, two ophthalmologists and 52mins.
Left eye 2.25 but healthy, Right eye 2.50, with irreparable sun damage, scan revealed (almost) a hole just offcentre of the pupil. Double vision and blurring to be expected.

Options to be discussed with a Consultant Surgeon.

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18514
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Kev Berry » Fri May 17 2019 18:38

Mike J wrote:
Eye damage, my experience.

Today I underwent a full eye examination at a private clinic, very detailed, four separate examination rooms, two ophthalmologists and 52mins.
Left eye 2.25 but healthy, Right eye 2.50, with irreparable sun damage, scan revealed (almost) a hole just offcentre of the pupil. Double vision and blurring to be expected.

Options to be discussed with a Consultant Surgeon.
coke bottle bottoms for your glasses then Mike :wink:

User avatar
Mike J
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3290
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Mike J » Yesterday 09:02

Kev Berry wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Eye damage, my experience.

Today I underwent a full eye examination at a private clinic, very detailed, four separate examination rooms, two ophthalmologists and 52mins.
Left eye 2.25 but healthy, Right eye 2.50, with irreparable sun damage, scan revealed (almost) a hole just offcentre of the pupil. Double vision and blurring to be expected.

Options to be discussed with a Consultant Surgeon.
coke bottle bottoms for your glasses then Mike :wink:

No Kev,
Im going to have replacement lense surgery as the alternative to glasses.
At a stiff under £4k per eye its a big expense but in the knowledge it is a one hit solution.
Nothing can be done to repair the sun damage and I have to live with the consequences.

User avatar
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3983
Joined: Mon Feb 20 2012 06:00
Location: In the heart of Norfolk
Contact:

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Duncan Holmes » Yesterday 09:29

Mike J wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Eye damage, my experience.

Today I underwent a full eye examination at a private clinic, very detailed, four separate examination rooms, two ophthalmologists and 52mins.
Left eye 2.25 but healthy, Right eye 2.50, with irreparable sun damage, scan revealed (almost) a hole just offcentre of the pupil. Double vision and blurring to be expected.

Options to be discussed with a Consultant Surgeon.
coke bottle bottoms for your glasses then Mike :wink:

No Kev,
Im going to have replacement lense surgery as the alternative to glasses.
At a stiff under £4k per eye its a big expense but in the knowledge it is a one hit solution.
Nothing can be done to repair the sun damage and I have to live with the consequences.
Mike, both my parents had replacement lens surgery 4-5 years ago and it's amazing.

My step dad is 82 with better than 20/20.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Catfish Paul
Gudgeon
Gudgeon
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Nov 03 2014 00:11

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Catfish Paul » Today 07:05

I have taken the plunge and bought some Costa sunglasses.
A small investment to safeguard my eyes especially after reading Mike's posts!

Mike - I hope all goes well with the surgery

User avatar
Mike J
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3290
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Sun Glasses

Post by Mike J » Today 09:43

Catfish Paul wrote:
I have taken the plunge and bought some Costa sunglasses.
A small investment to safeguard my eyes especially after reading Mike's posts!

Mike - I hope all goes well with the surgery


Cheers Paul,
You wont regret your Costas dispite the price, what design did you settle for?
Im planning to have my eyes done when the wound from skin cancer surgery has fully closed.

Post Reply