Snigging

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jun 12 2019 16:21

Gone snigging this afternoon...only been fishing ten minutes and got one. Sick to death of catching 4..10lb carp now though feckers are even having roach heads.
Been using the 50p bite alarm :laughs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 23147
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Snigging

Post by davelumb » Wed Jun 12 2019 16:22

50p alarms. You flash b*****d!

User avatar
alan behenna
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1632
Joined: Mon Sep 14 2015 15:45
Location: Where Sheep are Nervous.

Re: Snigging

Post by alan behenna » Wed Jun 12 2019 16:36

My pet "yuch".........

:laughs:

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jun 12 2019 16:40

davelumb wrote:
50p alarms. You flash b*****d!
Wasnt going to risk a quid. Got nowt smaller :laughs: l

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jun 12 2019 16:47

Just lost one at the net
Price of alarms have gone upto 60p for 2 :laughs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
John Milford
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Snigging

Post by John Milford » Wed Jun 12 2019 16:57

davelumb wrote:
50p alarms. You flash b*****d!
Eeeeeh, made o' brass! We 'ad to borrow 'appenny off us gran back in our day! (And she charged a farthing interest).

(Caught my first carp with a 2p and a tin plate as my 'alarm'). :madmick:

Nice snig Kev. :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jun 12 2019 17:00

Just had a carp on the roach tail...feckin things

User avatar
ChrisWales
Perch
Perch
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Mar 28 2016 22:18
Location: Conwy

Re: Snigging

Post by ChrisWales » Wed Jun 12 2019 17:01

Kev Berry wrote:
Been using the 50p bite alarm :laughs:
Start selling them to the carp set for £10
"Berry Developments- Cupronickel drop offs"

User avatar
Nobby C
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2139
Joined: Wed Nov 23 2011 06:00

Re: Snigging

Post by Nobby C » Wed Jun 12 2019 17:01

Have you tried circle hooks Kev?

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 23147
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Snigging

Post by davelumb » Wed Jun 12 2019 17:18

Kev Berry wrote:
Just lost one at the net
Price of alarms have gone upto 60p for 2 :laughs:
That's no good, they don't match. :roll:

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jun 12 2019 17:33

Cant believe this...just had a 14lb carp then a 13lb carp on the drop with chunks of roach and a well battered roach head.
Then I got another snig :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jack
Roach
Roach
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 01 2014 17:14

Re: Snigging

Post by jack » Wed Jun 12 2019 17:42

That looks a decent eel Kev. What did it weigh?

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jun 12 2019 17:58

5lb 4oz

There are supposedly eels to 8lb been out of here

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 23147
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Snigging

Post by davelumb » Wed Jun 12 2019 18:17

I thought it looked a good eel. :thumbs:

User avatar
ChrisWales
Perch
Perch
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Mar 28 2016 22:18
Location: Conwy

Re: Snigging

Post by ChrisWales » Wed Jun 12 2019 18:21

:yours: Well you beat my Carp and Eel PB on a quich sesh

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jun 12 2019 18:22

davelumb wrote:
I thought it looked a good eel. :thumbs:
First one went 4lb 8oz
Gone very quiet now....not had any carp for 20 minutes :laughs:

Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Snigging

Post by Will Smith » Wed Jun 12 2019 18:43

Sounds like your having a great day Kev, with one or two surprises thrown in for good measure.

Will

User avatar
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave
Posts: 6194
Joined: Tue Sep 06 2011 05:00
Location: Soon to be the Gin Palace...

Re: Snigging

Post by Fentiger01 » Wed Jun 12 2019 20:10

Kev Berry wrote:
Cant believe this...just had a 14lb carp then a 13lb carp on the drop with chunks of roach and a well battered roach head.
Then I got another snig :grin:
That is a belting Eel Kev! :cool: :cool: :cool:
"The EU is the old Soviet Union but dressed in Western clothes" - Mikhail Gorbachev

User avatar
Mike J
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Snigging

Post by Mike J » Sat Jun 15 2019 10:40

Cracking eel there Kev 3 something Id guess?

Dont they smell delish as they're on the boil, love the aroma but never managed to eat it.
All go back these days, protection and all that.

Halfpenny and a 60's mini hub cap, more noise with a plastic bucket but they weren't around in those days.

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Sat Jun 15 2019 20:23

Mike J wrote:
Cracking eel there Kev 3 something Id guess?

Dont they smell delish as they're on the boil, love the aroma but never managed to eat it.
All go back these days, protection and all that.

Halfpenny and a 60's mini hub cap, more noise with a plastic bucket but they weren't around in those days.
3 something?
one was 4-8 the other 5-4

mate of mine has had 2 days on there and no eels, going to show him how to do it tomorrow :wink:

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Jun 16 2019 14:33

Well today's snigging started off brilliantly. Within 5 mins of chucking out I got one. Nothing like the ones from Wednesday though.
About 3lb (it's in the sack for weighing when my mate comes) then nowt for several hours. About 10am I lost one. Then lost another about 2pm which felt like a good un. Even the carp aren't playing. Weather is red hot one minute then p*****g down .

User avatar
Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3540
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Stockton on Redacted

Re: Snigging

Post by Bob Watson » Sun Jun 23 2019 09:03

They don't count, you caught them on Barbel rods :roll:

I've just bought a pair of Daiwa theory 2.25lb barbel rods with the inention of using them for eels, amongst other things.

Good session that Kev, I suspect :lumby: is admiringly envious!

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 23147
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Snigging

Post by davelumb » Sun Jun 23 2019 17:31

Bob Watson wrote:
They don't count, you caught them on Barbel rods :roll:

I've just bought a pair of Daiwa theory 2.25lb barbel rods with the inention of using them for eels, amongst other things.

Good session that Kev, I suspect :lumby: is admiringly envious!
Envious of Kev? Has he bought some sheep? :laughs:

User avatar
Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3540
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Stockton on Redacted

Re: Snigging

Post by Bob Watson » Sun Jun 23 2019 22:17

davelumb wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:
They don't count, you caught them on Barbel rods :roll:

I've just bought a pair of Daiwa theory 2.25lb barbel rods with the inention of using them for eels, amongst other things.

Good session that Kev, I suspect :lumby: is admiringly envious!
Envious of Kev? Has he bought some sheep? :laughs:
:grin:

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Jun 23 2019 22:21

davelumb wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:
They don't count, you caught them on Barbel rods :roll:

I've just bought a pair of Daiwa theory 2.25lb barbel rods with the inention of using them for eels, amongst other things.

Good session that Kev, I suspect :lumby: is admiringly envious!
Envious of Kev? Has he bought some sheep? :laughs:

Baaa :laughs:

this place I am fishing is doing my head in
fish soft baits like mussels and the carp scoff it or the roach rip it to bits---or sometimes an eel gets it---either way its 5 minutes tops then wind in and put another on
put a section of roach on the carp scoff it or the roach rip it to bits ---or sometimes an eel beats them to it
put a piece of mackerel on the carp don't touch it, the roach don't touch it, the eels don't touch it

When an eel does get there first it often just rips a lump out the fish--feeling resistance? using run ring held off the bottom by polyball. Had 3 blanks and missed about 8 runs, my mate has missed about the same and had one 4lb er

Gonna try a piece of liver next time

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 23147
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Snigging

Post by davelumb » Mon Jun 24 2019 08:22

It's not just me that gets frustrated by eels then!! :grin:

Try squid, Kev. Carp will take it, but it's pretty tough and eels love it. Or maybe lamprey if you can afford it!

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Jun 24 2019 09:21

davelumb wrote:
It's not just me that gets frustrated by eels then!! :grin:

Try squid, Kev. Carp will take it, but it's pretty tough and eels love it. Or maybe lamprey if you can afford it!
not got any lamprey :cry:
will try squid---not got much smell to it though has it? how do you fish it?

Do you take the batter off or leave it on? :clown:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 23147
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Snigging

Post by davelumb » Mon Jun 24 2019 09:49

Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
It's not just me that gets frustrated by eels then!! :grin:

Try squid, Kev. Carp will take it, but it's pretty tough and eels love it. Or maybe lamprey if you can afford it!
not got any lamprey :cry:
will try squid---not got much smell to it though has it? how do you fish it?

Do you take the batter off or leave it on? :clown:
There must be something about squid for eels to find it easy enough. Cut it into sections and stick a hook through it. :wink:

Image

I've bad eels, or takes from eels, on sandeels and bluey sections too. Anything's worth a try.

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 18801
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Snigging

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Jun 24 2019 11:47

davelumb wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
It's not just me that gets frustrated by eels then!! :grin:

Try squid, Kev. Carp will take it, but it's pretty tough and eels love it. Or maybe lamprey if you can afford it!
not got any lamprey :cry:
will try squid---not got much smell to it though has it? how do you fish it?

Do you take the batter off or leave it on? :clown:
There must be something about squid for eels to find it easy enough. Cut it into sections and stick a hook through it. :wink:

Image

I've bad eels, or takes from eels, on sandeels and bluey sections too. Anything's worth a try.
I tried mackerel---not a sniff, but will pick up some squid :thumbs:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 23147
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Snigging

Post by davelumb » Mon Jun 24 2019 12:18

Eels used to rag half macky to bits up the Lakes and Scotland. The bobbin would keep dropping off with no line taken and when eventually the bait was wound back in there'd be an empty skin clinging to the hooks. Other days they'd swallow a half herring in one go. Bloody eels!

Post Reply