Semi-fixing 2-3 oz in-line leads

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
JoeNickel
Stickleback
Stickleback

Semi-fixing 2-3 oz in-line leads

Post by JoeNickel » Sun Oct 06 2019 15:48

Two questions in one; most of my fishing until now has been float-legering, using biggish sea floats and drilled bullets, prob 70g. I want to increase the weight to 2-3 oz, and move to semi-fixed leads. I have a load of these kind of leads: https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/CarpFis ... -Leads.htm

Q1: The plastic inners are fairly hard - with the bait, lead and float flying round in the cast, I'm concerned that they'll abrade the braid over time, esp. as the wear will be in one place. I'm using 50-60lb Powerpro, so it ain't going to wear through in a couple of casts. But even so, I'm reluctant. I could take the plastic tubes out, but the unfinished lead inside could also be rough. I could drill out the holes, and superglue in some softer / more flexible silicone tubing. But that seems like a real faff. I could buy another load of leads - but I've got these already! Do people use this kind of thing as they come, with no issue?

Q2: What do people use to semi-fix in-line leads this weight? Don't want a pike to be tethered to the lead in the event of snapping off, hence the 'semi'. I've used slide-on soft rubber stops, but they slip. Could use old style plastic leger stops, maybe? I'm not looking for anything complicated in terms of rig - the braid goes through the float, through the lead, straight to the trace.

Cheers

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Re: Semi-fixing 2-3 oz in-line leads

Post by BillCollins » Sun Oct 06 2019 16:25

Aren't most of those type inline leads designed to push on over the eye of a size 8 swivel, so that they can be pulled or shaken off by a fish in the event of the line breaking.?

Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes » Sun Oct 06 2019 16:39

Yes they are Bill
Regards
Tom

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Oct 06 2019 17:14

Using braid the plastic is more likely to groove than the braid get badly worn. Silicone tube would wear out/get cut faster than plastic too.

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Sun Oct 06 2019 17:17

Just a couple of observations. 70g = 2 1/2oz, so you're already using about the weight you want. Ball leads are very compact for thier weight and can look 'smaller' than an equivalent weight flat pear or Arlesey.

On a shallow water I fish locally, I use 30g or 40g (approx 1oz to 1 1/2oz) running leads for float legering. Despite not being fixed, the pike seem to drag them around without a care and I had a very high hook-up rate.

I'm never quite sure of the advantage/need for a fixed lead for piking? (or heavy leads for a short to medium range method like float legering).

I'm nevertheless very interested to see anyone's experiences and opinions.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Oct 06 2019 17:25

I use semi-fixed leads of 1.5oz or 2oz with shortish traces and size 4 (sometimes 2) trebles which I believe creates an anti-eject effect. I wrote about it in P&P many years ago.

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Post by Mattjb » Sun Oct 06 2019 17:29

Why do you want to semi fix the lead if you are float legering? Surely for good bite indication the lead needs to be free running when float legering

Nige Johns
Chub
Chub

Post by Nige Johns » Sun Oct 06 2019 17:37

Mattjb wrote:
Why do you want to semi fix the lead if you are float legering? Surely for good bite indication the lead needs to be free running when float legering
The benefit of having it semi fixed Matt is that with a running lead there will be a change in tension with a running pike when the float hits the lead
I also find using a semi fixed lead a lot more sensitive

Nige Johns
Chub
Chub

Post by Nige Johns » Sun Oct 06 2019 17:39

I started using 2 rods on float ledger 3 years ago using semi fixed leads as Dave suggests and haven’t had a single dropped run,a very effective way of doing things imo :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Oct 06 2019 17:50

Mattjb wrote:
It's like fishing a lift float for tench. Very sensitive.

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Post by Mattjb » Sun Oct 06 2019 21:42

davelumb wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
It's like fishing a lift float for tench. Very sensitive.
Yeah I can see fishing it like that it would work. You would have to have the float set very accurately though I take it. Fishing from a boat on somewhere with an uneven lake bed it would be a bit of a hassle to get it spot on and a pain in the a**e if you move areas a lot in a day.

JoeNickel
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by JoeNickel » Sun Oct 06 2019 22:08

If there's current or wind, there'll be a straight line from your float to the lead, even if you're overdepth. So taking line through the lead, or moving the lead, moves the float. Fishing Broads of 4-6 ft, I try to be something like 4-12" overdepth, depending on the size of the chop. No need to be more precise.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Cheers.

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Fri Oct 11 2019 12:11

Float fishing for me requires an uptrace. I put a paper clip through the swivel between hook trace and uptrace and slide the lead on that. . Worked for many years, for stillwaters add the lightest pencil float and lead (from the decathlon sea fishing counter) you can get away with, job done. Simples, safe and effective.

Yours
Tight arsed piker.
Love the hit!

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Sun Oct 13 2019 15:10

I always semi-fix the weight when laying on with a float - I tend to use a minimum of 1.5 oz, right up to 4oz for strong run off when drains are being pumped. Pike don't seem to care about the weight at all. I use Korda in-lines, that fit neatly over the trace swivel. Nice and simple.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Mon Oct 14 2019 03:30

Mark Phillips wrote:
I always semi-fix the weight when laying on with a float - I tend to use a minimum of 1.5 oz, right up to 4oz for strong run off when drains are being pumped. Pike don't seem to care about the weight at all. I use Korda in-lines, that fit neatly over the trace swivel. Nice and simple.
Pike don't care about the weight..??
You can't say things like that on here Mark, people grow horns..... :silent: ... :laughs:

Jellybait
Roach
Roach

Post by Jellybait » Mon Oct 14 2019 08:09

I swapped over to semi fixed leads a number of years ago and have found it a positive change and have used up to 3 or 4 oz with no ill effect using a quick release clip like the carpers use and have used them on a float ledger set up , its very handy holding bottom on a river ansd set slightly overdepth