Which Fish Finder

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Which Fish Finder

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. » Thu Nov 07 2019 08:52

I know this has been dealt with before but I am now seriously losing out on the bigger waters. I have a Garmin Striker which cost around £400 but three years on I think I frankly now need something better. I am thinking around £1000 (pensioner decision) and obviously need Side and down scan, Not so bothered about mapping but I suppose they come with most packages anyway.

If you feel I need to spend more than so be it as long as I can arrange for the boss to be out when delivered.

PM if you prefer

Thanks in anticipation

Martin

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Which Fish Finder

Post by Mike J » Thu Nov 07 2019 09:07

Whatever your choice I would never advise a combo unit.

Things 'happen' especially on small boats where units are being removed regularly.

Lowrance plotters for me, Furuno for the best bottom image.

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Thu Nov 07 2019 09:36

For your budget I would go humminbird mega SI Chirp GPS generation 3, You could go from 7-9" screen and even include the minn kota transducer pole.

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Thu Nov 07 2019 09:40

Another option to consider would be the lowrance elite with totalscan transducer.
This is what I'm using now, It has put me on fish. I could probably dig out some screen shots. It's touch sccreen and you can mirror a smart phone or tablet unlike the humminbird.
Ideal if theres 2 anglers and both want to view the finder.

I just generally prefer the humminbird after having both.

Martin Ward P.A.C.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. » Thu Nov 07 2019 09:54

Mike J wrote:
Whatever your choice I would never advise a combo unit.

Things 'happen' especially on small boats where units are being removed regularly.

Lowrance plotters for me, Furuno for the best bottom image.
Not sure what you mean by a combo unit Mike?

Martin Ward P.A.C.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. » Thu Nov 07 2019 09:55

Jimk2 wrote:
For your budget I would go humminbird mega SI Chirp GPS generation 3, You could go from 7-9" screen and even include the minn kota transducer pole.
Can I buy one in The UK Jim?

Last time I did the rounds (3 years ago) Hummingbird did not have a UK importer?

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Thu Nov 07 2019 10:06

Martin Ward P.A.C. wrote:
Jimk2 wrote:
Can I buy one in The UK Jim?

Last time I did the rounds (3 years ago) Hummingbird did not have a UK importer?
Yeah theres a few, I bought my humminbird off Budgie at Bass online. But also try ebay and vision marine. Marathon leisure are the importers.

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Thu Nov 07 2019 14:45

Thinking its time to upgrade from my 20 plus year old Eagle portable unit... having less and less time to fish means concentrating the effort more towards def getting on the fish on big waters rather than trusting instinct / water craft is tempting.

Though I note a few anglers are selling after finding the screen addictive with less time fishing... lol.
Love the hit!

Scott
Roach
Roach

Post by Scott » Thu Nov 07 2019 21:29

Hi, I’ve got the lowrance elite 9ti with totalscan transducer and well pleased with it. I bought it about 4 months ago £840, a good price . Now I’ve noticed it’s now £699, a great price. Some places are still wanting £1000.

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/low ... -13274-001

Good luck, taken me over a month YouTubing to find the finder I wanted.

Scott

Martin Ward P.A.C.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. » Fri Nov 08 2019 20:31

Thanks for your help lads.....Its obviously a toss up between Lowrance and Hummingbird and frankly I had some awful service from Lowrance last time I had one that I have ordered a Hummingbird Helix G3 SI Mega Chirp 10 which although more than I wanted to spend seemed like a decent compromise. I also opted for ordering it through my local dealer so frankly I have somebody to deal with if I get problems.....just a few quid more but well worth the extra IMHO

Thanks again

Martin

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Sat Nov 09 2019 10:36

Thanks for your help lads.....Its obviously a toss up between Lowrance and Hummingbird and frankly I had some awful service from Lowrance last time I had one that I have ordered a Hummingbird Helix G3 SI Mega Chirp 10 which although more than I wanted to spend seemed like a decent compromise. I also opted for ordering it through my local dealer so frankly I have somebody to deal with if I get problems.....just a few quid more but well worth the extra IMHO

Thanks again

Martin

Only buy Lowrance units from a genuine Lowrance dealer (names from the EU distributor) and always go to Lowrance USA if you have a problem or questions.

They never failed me, ever, even sending over a free t'ducer when mine developed a problem.

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Sat Nov 09 2019 12:34

Thanks again

Martin
I dont think you will be disappointed with that purchase Martin. 👍.

IMO Humminbird is a better unit than low-range. :stir:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Cyprio
Perch
Perch

Post by Cyprio » Sat Nov 09 2019 12:46

Duncan Holmes wrote:

Thanks again

Martin

:point:
See what you did there (face) :joker:

+1 :wink:

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Sun Nov 10 2019 10:33

Duncan Holmes wrote:

Thanks again

Martin

Info; A friend of mine had two consecutive HB side scanners die on him (21ft RIB, no cuddy, sea fishing, 1000miles South).

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Sun Nov 10 2019 14:00

Mike J wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:

Thanks again

Martin

Info; A friend of mine had two consecutive HB side scanners die on him (21ft RIB, no cuddy, sea fishing, 1000miles South).
Info, myself and my regular fishing companion, have used humminbird for 25+ years, open boats, all weathers. No failures......

:wink:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Martin Ward P.A.C.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. » Mon Nov 11 2019 00:42

Mike J wrote:

Thanks again

Martin

Only buy Lowrance units from a genuine Lowrance dealer (names from the EU distributor) and always go to Lowrance USA if you have a problem or questions.

They never failed me, ever, even sending over a free t'ducer when mine developed a problem.
I did deal with the USA Head office (they make them in Mexico) but although they acknowledge that the box it was delivered in confirmed the manufacturers Replacement unit policy I did buy it on Ebay..........If I supplied anybody with the products I manufacture I would offer the same support. They supplied it, but knowing that this would happen and then denied any responsibility. I see they still sell to all and sundry, packed and boxed in the same way, as through their dealer network but do not offer any support......So once bitten, twice shy for me Mike. I know you have had a different experience but I have to go on my own service record, which is very poor.

Martin