Rods for Drain and River fishing.

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Robert Woods
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Rods for Drain and River fishing.

Post by Robert Woods » Fri Nov 08 2019 23:15

Since moving across M62 from Cheshire to Skegness area have started pike fishing again on local drains and loving it. I only fished small rods on likes of local canal and 12ft'ers on the Meres. Currently using a pair of 10ft Darent Valley carp rods which for £100 a pair good value. But they have flat spot at joint and would like a pair of "proper" rods and possibly 11ft long. Dave Lumb P2s would fit but a expensive at £400 a pair. There are a few ones at 10ft that likes of Free Spirit make but I need rods with short handles as I have short arms...!!! So might have to get the P2's as made to measure as he has made barbel rods with shorter handles for me in past. Would P2's be able to cast half mackerel/sardines on stillwaters.

Steve D
Chub
Chub

Re: Rods for Drain and River fishing.

Post by Steve D » Fri Nov 08 2019 23:35

I use the P5’s for most of my drain/river and pit fishing, they’re fantastic allrounders.

I’m sure the P2 would be more than upto the job, but you can whack out decent sized baits with the P5 no problem.

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Sat Nov 09 2019 10:26

You've answered the question yourself.

DLST P2's are probably the best all round pike rod available, bar none IMO.

Enjoyable on small fish even the odd chub that thinks its a pike, a pleasure with the sub 20's and a reserve of power for those larger or if it gets down and dirty.
Im a bit rough with mine and bash them around quite a bit, twigs, branches etc, but they are still there and going brilliantly.

Highly recommeded.
Last edited by Mike J on Sun Nov 10 2019 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford » Sat Nov 09 2019 10:40

As Steve said the P5’s are great rods, free spirit also do some 11ft rods i’ve Got the 12ft bank specials from the same range which are very good
Tony Kay builds on both Harrison and freespirit blanks, all my rods are from him
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

Robert Woods
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Robert Woods » Sat Nov 09 2019 16:16

There is these Pike Tamer 'E' Boat Pike 10' 2½lb

norleveller
Perch
Perch

Post by norleveller » Sat Nov 09 2019 19:15

after using 12ft 2 3/4tc rods (lumbys p1,s) and several other different tc and length rods for river and drain fishing i now use lumbys p5,s great all rounders,luvly action and can wack hlf macky out a good distance too,also dont feel disadvantaged with the 11ft length either,mine have 7rings plus tip as i feel a lot of rods have too few rings nowadays the line looks at all silly angles on some when in their curve you wont be dissapointed get what u pay for imo

Steve Moore
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Moore » Sat Nov 09 2019 19:34

I've gone down to 10fters for my deadbaiting, most of my fishing is on canals, and rivers, and normally In stupidly tight swims. (Under trees etc)
So the the shorter the rod the better.
I'm using 10ft 3.25lb broadland boat rods, coupled with abu 6501 c4s
I have a mk1 freespirit 10ft 2.5lb, which is great for pike to mid double. But hard work with big baits and big pike.
Live baiting, i normally use my 9ft bac rt5 rod.
I have a pair of bait blasters, but I can't remember the last time I needed to use them.

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Sat Nov 09 2019 21:12

I use my fox pikemaster boat rods (10' 9") on the river for the same reasons as Steve says.

P1's and BB's on still waters.

andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sat Nov 09 2019 21:14

I have the P2s and P5s and other DL rods. Both great rods. If you fish bigger baits mostly the P5s will likely be the way to go. If you use smaller baits the P2 will be sweet.

Daniel
Chub
Chub

Post by Daniel » Sat Nov 09 2019 23:21

Boat rods are usually 10' long, have a nice through action and often have short handles. I use a pair of fox predator 3lb tc for all my short range work and they're pretty much spot on for me.

Can't really see any benefit in getting 11' rods, if you need short rods, get tens, if you need longer, get twelves.

Robert Woods
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Robert Woods » Sat Nov 09 2019 23:37

Daniel wrote:
Boat rods are usually 10' long, have a nice through action and often have short handles. I use a pair of fox predator 3lb tc for all my short range work and they're pretty much spot on for me.

Can't really see any benefit in getting 11' rods, if you need short rods, get tens, if you need longer, get twelves.
Daniel, I like rods with short handles as need them for my short arms.
Thanks to you all on your recomendations gives me something to think about as I would be buying blind. Best thing I could do now is carry on with my present ones for the time being... :point:

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Sun Nov 10 2019 10:24

Im not exactly a knuckle dragger which is why I like custom handles or take a hacksaw to many off the peg.
My requirement is to be able to pass the butt end comfortably across the body.

Custom rods allow for my preferred full cork handles plus a decent grip length above the winch fitting of my choice and a hard rubber salmon style butt end.

With a P2 I can cast a 4-6oz bait across the Hampshire Avon.

Derek Kelly
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Derek Kelly » Mon Nov 11 2019 23:09

Greys platinum 10ft boat rods 3lbtc is what I use on canal and rivers, with c3 multis.
The platinum 11ft 2.25lbtc is what I use for wobbling but would handle static work no bother, it feels a bit more like a 2.5lbtc

Curts
Perch
Perch

Post by Curts » Tue Nov 12 2019 19:56

P5s or P4s. Used many rods and these are my go to now. Could not recommend highly enough.

Robert Woods
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Robert Woods » Tue Nov 12 2019 21:41

I would have got a pair of those rods but my £50 Darent Valley rods will have to do me for now...sob.

The_Saint
Roach
Roach

Post by The_Saint » Wed Nov 13 2019 19:46

Been using the original wychwood 10ft bait rod on rivers, drains, canals and small waters. Perfection
from the skool of hard knox and the university of life

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Yesterday 14:11

There's no real reason to use shorter rods (say 10ft or less) on a lot of the smaller drains or rivers, in fact, many of the fen drains I have fished a 'longer' rod is actually better - as often there's marginal reed beds (died back of course) to contend with when landing fish. Also, if like me you always float fish and have the rods on a single rest pointing skyward (all the line off the water), then it also helps there too. I used P5's for many years and now use free spirit S bank rods, they're 11ft and very similar to the P5. It's reel size where you can scale down and the reason for that is weight saving - if again like me you cover a lot of water in a day, then using 3 rods with smaller reels (I still use the old 5000 baitrunners, shame Shimano dropped that size...) does make a bit of a difference.