Ipilot

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Post Reply
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Ipilot

Post by Jimk2 » Fri Nov 29 2019 17:36

Can anyone recommend a UK dealer, or a Black Friday deal.
Looking to purchase one of these for my seastrike.

User avatar
neil hardiker
Roach
Roach
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Oct 23 2011 05:00
Location: Rochdale n Leitrim

Re: Ipilot

Post by neil hardiker » Sat Nov 30 2019 11:03

Got mine from Nev

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Jimk2 » Sat Nov 30 2019 11:10

neil hardiker wrote:
Got mine from Nev
Which one did you get? I messaged Nev yesterday.

User avatar
neil hardiker
Roach
Roach
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Oct 23 2011 05:00
Location: Rochdale n Leitrim

Re: Ipilot

Post by neil hardiker » Sat Nov 30 2019 12:13

Power drive v2 which I believe are the cheaper models. Also bought a couple of different mountings a flat sliding plate and a puck style. Really impressed with it. Not sure what lead times are currentLy Jim but I waited about 4 weeks for mine.

User avatar
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4256
Joined: Wed Nov 02 2011 05:00
Location: Berkshire via Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Ian Crook » Tue Dec 03 2019 21:34

Almost zero in country until February, the huge demand this winter has taken the distributor by surprise!!

User avatar
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4256
Joined: Wed Nov 02 2011 05:00
Location: Berkshire via Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Ian Crook » Tue Dec 03 2019 21:36

So no bargains at all, if you pay above RRP for air freight you might get sooner

User avatar
andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00

Re: Ipilot

Post by andrew_nagel » Tue Dec 03 2019 21:48

Got mine from Nev at a good price.

User avatar
Carlperkins
Zander
Zander
Posts: 9933
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: coventry

Re: Ipilot

Post by Carlperkins » Wed Dec 04 2019 00:16

Check out other threads
👍
Well Well Well Enoch..........
It seams you were right after all

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Jimk2 » Wed Dec 04 2019 08:54

Ian, what shaft length will I need for a 12’ seastrike?

I think it’s the lack of information about these that’s prevented me from ordering. The best price I found was from another thread from pecheur in France worked out £1100 with Black Friday code but it was foot pedal and I want the remote or both if there’s such a thing.

Thanks for replies

User avatar
Carlperkins
Zander
Zander
Posts: 9933
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: coventry

Re: Ipilot

Post by Carlperkins » Wed Dec 04 2019 09:21

Try ringing them to confirm the model you want.
I think it will work out cheaper than Neville
Well Well Well Enoch..........
It seams you were right after all

Danoutdoors
Perch
Perch
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Mar 26 2016 09:40

Re: Ipilot

Post by Danoutdoors » Wed Dec 04 2019 10:21

Jimk2 wrote:
Ian, what shaft length will I need for a 12’ seastrike?

I think it’s the lack of information about these that’s prevented me from ordering. The best price I found was from another thread from pecheur in France worked out £1100 with Black Friday code but it was foot pedal and I want the remote or both if there’s such a thing.

Thanks for replies
You sure it’s with foot pedal? Sans pedal means without pedal, I got the same one you are on about and mine came with remote and you can buy the foot pedal as a extra from same sight, also you can load a app on your phone and also use the motor with that if say your handset went flat

Slug
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sat Jan 11 2014 21:49

Re: Ipilot

Post by Slug » Wed Dec 04 2019 10:30

If Pecheur are cheapest they have excellent customer service if you contact them to find out if it’s the right one.

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Jimk2 » Wed Dec 04 2019 10:31

Danoutdoors wrote:
Jimk2 wrote:
Ian, what shaft length will I need for a 12’ seastrike?

I think it’s the lack of information about these that’s prevented me from ordering. The best price I found was from another thread from pecheur in France worked out £1100 with Black Friday code but it was foot pedal and I want the remote or both if there’s such a thing.

Thanks for replies
You sure it’s with foot pedal? Sans pedal means without pedal, I got the same one you are on about and mine came with remote and you can buy the foot pedal as a extra from same sight, also you can load a app on your phone and also use the motor with that if say your handset went flat
Dan, that’s brilliant if so, I’ll order it. We had this conversation on a different thread. I’ll take another look.

Danoutdoors
Perch
Perch
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Mar 26 2016 09:40

Re: Ipilot

Post by Danoutdoors » Wed Dec 04 2019 10:47

Jimk2 wrote:
Danoutdoors wrote:
Jimk2 wrote:
Ian, what shaft length will I need for a 12’ seastrike?

I think it’s the lack of information about these that’s prevented me from ordering. The best price I found was from another thread from pecheur in France worked out £1100 with Black Friday code but it was foot pedal and I want the remote or both if there’s such a thing.

Thanks for replies
You sure it’s with foot pedal? Sans pedal means without pedal, I got the same one you are on about and mine came with remote and you can buy the foot pedal as a extra from same sight, also you can load a app on your phone and also use the motor with that if say your handset went flat
Dan, that’s brilliant if so, I’ll order it. We had this conversation on a different thread. I’ll take another look.
👍 there are some charts for working out your required shaft length, I just got a photo of my boat in water and worked out how far above the water the motor was to sit, maybe look on the minn Kota website for that. 👍

User avatar
andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00

Re: Ipilot

Post by andrew_nagel » Wed Dec 04 2019 17:13

Jim... just buy the longest saft length. I've had my motor for 10 years now and in that time kind of time span you might change boats. It also makes it easier to sell if you want rid in future as it will fit more boats. You can't really have it too long, but you can have it too short.

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Ipilot

Post by Crackoff » Wed Dec 04 2019 18:16

andrew_nagel wrote:
Jim... just buy the longest saft length. I've had my motor for 10 years now and in that time kind of time span you might change boats. It also makes it easier to sell if you want rid in future as it will fit more boats. You can't really have it too long, but you can have it too short.
You can't really have it too long, but you can have it too short.

I had a girl friend that said that to me once Andy :laughs: :giggle: :lol:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Jimk2 » Wed Dec 04 2019 18:47

andrew_nagel wrote:
Jim... just buy the longest saft length. I've had my motor for 10 years now and in that time kind of time span you might change boats. It also makes it easier to sell if you want rid in future as it will fit more boats. You can't really have it too long, but you can have it too short.
Makes sense to me Andrew, thanks :thumbs:

Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2447
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Ipilot

Post by Will Smith » Wed Dec 04 2019 19:46

Jim.

When I bought mine a couple of years ago I simply went onto the Minn Kota website where you can pick and mix (build your own motor) to the spec you require (have you done that ?), it was really easy to navigate and when you are done it provides you with a model number, once you have that model number and not until, can you shop around for the best price.
You have to be asking all your potential suppliers to quote for the same model or how can you expect to get a result that makes any sense.
FYI for your boat you only require the shortest shaft available, although there is some sense in buying a longer one if you are planning on changing your boat in the future.
A useful feature that you may want to consider is to have a transducer installed into the motor itself, this gives you the opportunity to connect an echo sounder to the front of the boat as well, not essential but useful, can't be done afterwards though, and you will need to state the echo sounder model that you intend to use.

Will.

Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2447
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Ipilot

Post by Will Smith » Wed Dec 04 2019 19:50

Crackoff wrote:
andrew_nagel wrote:
Jim... just buy the longest saft length. I've had my motor for 10 years now and in that time kind of time span you might change boats. It also makes it easier to sell if you want rid in future as it will fit more boats. You can't really have it too long, but you can have it too short.
You can't really have it too long, but you can have it too short.

I had a girl friend that said that to me once Andy :laughs: :giggle: :lol:

Grant :smile:
I have to disagree with you there old boy, if the shaft is too long it can stick up so far in a shallow water situation as to be a real nuisance when fishing from the front of the boat, you have continually lift your rod over the top of it which is really annoying.

Will

User avatar
Carlperkins
Zander
Zander
Posts: 9933
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: coventry

Re: Ipilot

Post by Carlperkins » Wed Dec 04 2019 20:55

I have the long shaft one on mine and don’t find it a problem 🤔
Well Well Well Enoch..........
It seams you were right after all

User avatar
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4256
Joined: Wed Nov 02 2011 05:00
Location: Berkshire via Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Ian Crook » Wed Dec 04 2019 21:07

As Will says, you can spec it on the Minn Kota website but as said already, if you’re in a rush you might have to pay above RRP.

Shaft length - always good to get longer than required, I’d recommend 54” as a minimum. You need to consider the bow lifting in rough water, if the motor is lifting out or cavitation you will use far more power than necessary holding a mark or travelling.

With regards built in transducers, they are fine if you only want 2D at the bow (new Ultrex also has Mega DI), personally I would install a transducer with Sidescan to suit your choice of sonar, it’s easy to do using the mounts available

Remember if you buy outside the UK, including Le Pecheur, you do not have a UK warranty and it’s a heavy lump to ship back to France.

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Jimk2 » Thu Dec 05 2019 08:46

Will Smith wrote:
Jim.

When I bought mine a couple of years ago I simply went onto the Minn Kota website where you can pick and mix (build your own motor) to the spec you require (have you done that ?), it was really easy to navigate and when you are done it provides you with a model number, once you have that model number and not until, can you shop around for the best price.
You have to be asking all your potential suppliers to quote for the same model or how can you expect to get a result that makes any sense.
FYI for your boat you only require the shortest shaft available, although there is some sense in buying a longer one if you are planning on changing your boat in the future.
A useful feature that you may want to consider is to have a transducer installed into the motor itself, this gives you the opportunity to connect an echo sounder to the front of the boat as well, not essential but useful, can't be done afterwards though, and you will need to state the echo sounder model that you intend to use.

Will.
Hi Will,

Sound advice there and the answer is no, I’m flat out with work, working close to 5 weeks offshore to 3 weeks home. When offshore my Wi-fi is limited and restricted so browsing for fishing gear is near impossible.
I suppose I was wanting it on a plate that I’ve seen before on Facebook, it was Ian Crook who recommended the unit from the friendly fisherman before they put the price up and are they closing the business?

I’m not to concerned about the transponder option as I’m using a Lowrance finder at the minute. Long term is to go back to humminbird so an ipilot link is a must.
Remote option over foot pedal or both especially if removeable and a shaft length of 54” (Thanks again Ian)

Hope your keeping well Will and getting out fishing :thumbs:

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Jimk2 » Thu Dec 05 2019 08:47

Ian Crook wrote:
As Will says, you can spec it on the Minn Kota website but as said already, if you’re in a rush you might have to pay above RRP.

Shaft length - always good to get longer than required, I’d recommend 54” as a minimum. You need to consider the bow lifting in rough water, if the motor is lifting out or cavitation you will use far more power than necessary holding a mark or travelling.

With regards built in transducers, they are fine if you only want 2D at the bow (new Ultrex also has Mega DI), personally I would install a transducer with Sidescan to suit your choice of sonar, it’s easy to do using the mounts available

Remember if you buy outside the UK, including Le Pecheur, you do not have a UK warranty and it’s a heavy lump to ship back to France.
I’m not in any hurry Ian, think I’ve been looking for a while now and would of bought one if I knew what I wanted.
Thanks for advice

User avatar
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4256
Joined: Wed Nov 02 2011 05:00
Location: Berkshire via Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Ian Crook » Thu Dec 05 2019 17:38

Jimk2 wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
As Will says, you can spec it on the Minn Kota website but as said already, if you’re in a rush you might have to pay above RRP.

Shaft length - always good to get longer than required, I’d recommend 54” as a minimum. You need to consider the bow lifting in rough water, if the motor is lifting out or cavitation you will use far more power than necessary holding a mark or travelling.

With regards built in transducers, they are fine if you only want 2D at the bow (new Ultrex also has Mega DI), personally I would install a transducer with Sidescan to suit your choice of sonar, it’s easy to do using the mounts available

Remember if you buy outside the UK, including Le Pecheur, you do not have a UK warranty and it’s a heavy lump to ship back to France.
I’m not in any hurry Ian, think I’ve been looking for a while now and would of bought one if I knew what I wanted.
Thanks for advice
Jim,

You might find iPilot Link in stock, try Glasgow Angling Centre or Angling Active or MCA Boats in Ireland

User avatar
Mr_Kosh
Roach
Roach
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Sep 14 2011 05:00
Location: Vassey Town

Re: Ipilot

Post by Mr_Kosh » Wed Dec 18 2019 19:24

:cool: :cool: In of deed just tagged a i pilot 54" 55lb power drive from a chap in thee land of thee yank £1051.51 inc shipping and thee dreaded f88ckin im of port tax ...!!! :hump:
Rampton time tiss in of deed a pleasure , but Dr Vange can blow thee stack .

User avatar
steve a pac
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Oct 22 2011 05:00
Location: Broadland

Re: Ipilot

Post by steve a pac » Wed Dec 18 2019 21:22

If your going to pay loads in import tax you might as well get some cheap flights have afew days out in the states, go to a bass pro buy your bit of kit and bring it home with you. Iv’e been doing it for years bringing bits of kit back for peanuts. Especially when the exchange rate was better. Best i done was when i got my Minn Kotta Traxxis 55 paid £240 and they were £550 here. Also think i saved £600 on my Humming bird Helix 10

chrisdonna
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jul 22 2018 13:12

Re: Ipilot

Post by chrisdonna » Thu Dec 19 2019 13:06

With the exchange rate being better of late buying from the USA is a good option as if you try and source in the U.K. you will pay over the odds.
Minn Kota no longer ship to the U.K. so other sources should be looked at.
Northland Marine have never let me down.
Chrisd

User avatar
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4256
Joined: Wed Nov 02 2011 05:00
Location: Berkshire via Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Ipilot

Post by Ian Crook » Thu Dec 19 2019 17:40

chrisdonna wrote:
With the exchange rate being better of late buying from the USA is a good option as if you try and source in the U.K. you will pay over the odds.
Minn Kota no longer ship to the U.K. so other sources should be looked at.
Northland Marine have never let me down.
Chrisd
Of course Minn Kota ship to UK, the Johnson Outdoors UK and Ireland distributor, Marathon Leisure receive shipments most weeks.

The problem people WILL face buying electronics from the USA is quality, as prices have reduced over the years, so have costs, hence poor quality soldering as an example is not unheard of. Anyone buying from the USA and shipping outside to the UK have NO warranty, you could possibly get the retailer in the USA to return items but if the manufacturer discover you have deliberately circumvented their support network by purchasing in a country other than your home, they will not support any claims.

chrisdonna
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jul 22 2018 13:12

Re: Ipilot

Post by chrisdonna » Fri Dec 20 2019 11:27

Ian,
They may deliver to a distributor but not to an individual which I assume that is what this theme is about.
If you go on the Minn Kota site and click to select a Country the UK does not appear. Obviously they have deals within the UK preventing them from servicing the individual.
I emailed Minn Kota about this and they replied that they do not sell to the individual. As for your other comments they are spot on.
If I am wrong I am sure you will let me know.
Chrisd

Post Reply