Fishing knives

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Fishing knives

Post by John Milford » Sun Dec 01 2019 14:23

Probably not the best time to start a thread on knives, given the very recent occurrence of yet another terrorist knife attack? :shrug:

However, a good knife is a great tool in right-minded hands and it would be a great shame if they became demonised due to the actions of a tiny minority of mindless thugs and radicalised lunatics.

I found my old Scout knife today, after an hour- long search in my garage. It was a very sobering thought to consider how much society has changed since my parents bought it for me, back in the 1960's. It is by William Rodgers of Sheffield - bearing their famous motto 'I Cut My Way' etched on the blade. I wore it to school, aged 12, as part of my Scout uniform one St. George's Day - and not a single teacher batted an eyelid! (How times have changed! :sad: ).

Anyway, it will now be going piking with me as part of my 'Bush Craft' food preparation kit. I'll still use my Kuusamo 'Bear Claw' hunting knife for cutting up baits, as it's probably not a good idea to use only one knife for food and bait?

IMG_20191201_125144.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Fishing knives

Post by davelumb » Sun Dec 01 2019 14:34

Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes » Sun Dec 01 2019 14:56

John Milford wrote:
Probably not the best time to start a thread on knives, given the very recent occurrence of yet another terrorist knife attack? :shrug:

However, a good knife is a great tool in right-minded hands and it would be a great shame if they became demonised due to the actions of a tiny minority of mindless thugs and radicalised lunatics.

I found my old Scout knife today, after an hour- long search in my garage. It was a very sobering thought to consider how much society has changed since my parents bought it for me, back in the 1960's. It is by William Rodgers of Sheffield - bearing their famous motto 'I Cut My Way' etched on the blade. I wore it to school, aged 12, as part of my Scout uniform one St. George's Day - and not a single teacher batted an eyelid! (How times have changed! :sad: ).

Anyway, it will now be going piking with me as part of my 'Bush Craft' food preparation kit. I'll still use my Kuusamo 'Bear Claw' hunting knife for cutting up baits, as it's probably not a good idea to use only one knife for food and bait?

IMG_20191201_125144.jpg
What a lovely knife John ( I remember them well )
Unfortunately I gave away my scout Knife
Regards
Tom

fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 » Sun Dec 01 2019 16:09

Victorinex Swiss army does all I need. I have 3 of them as I keep misplacing them. I probably use the scissors and bottle opener more than anything else.
I recently bought a west German army knife. It has a good blade bigger than a typical Swiss army and a good saw blade with bottle opener on the end. It was more of a impulse buy but it will be handy on camping trips.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Sun Dec 01 2019 16:14

Happy Hayes wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20191201_125144.jpg
Regards
Tom
My 'tackle box' knife was given to me Tom. A friend of mine is a collector and decided this Shrade folding knife wasn't minty enough for his collection. :scratch:

As it has a scrimswaw pike motif on it's bone handle, he kindly thought of me. I insisted on pushing a £1 coin into his hand, as apparently it's 'bad luck' to receive a knife as a gift - in case it 'cuts' your friendship (I'm not in the least bit superstitious by the way, just a traditionalist! :pipe:).

IMG_20191201_144237.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Steve Le maitre
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve Le maitre » Sun Dec 01 2019 18:41

John Milford wrote:
Happy Hayes wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20191201_125144.jpg
Regards
Tom
My 'tackle box' knife was given to me Tom. A friend of mine is a collector and decided this Shrade folding knife wasn't minty enough for his collection. :scratch:

As it has a scrimswaw pike motif on it's bone handle, he kindly thought of me. I insisted on pushing a £1 coin into his hand, as apparently it's 'bad luck' to receive a knife as a gift - in case it 'cuts' your friendship (I'm not in the least bit superstitious by the way, just a traditionalist! :pipe:).

IMG_20191201_144237.jpg

Me being a picky sod I would say the pike is upside down, nevertheless a nice piece of pike memorabilia !

Mercman
Chub
Chub

Post by Mercman » Sun Dec 01 2019 18:49

I use an original Leatherman had it for years. My son bought me a charge TTi titanium which costs a fortune (£225) but it is a bit large to carry around. I am not sure it is legal anymore because the blade locks, so don't carry it outdoors. They come with a 25 year guarantee btw.
Delboy is actually only 65 years old, I had to confess!

martin(rockape)
Perch
Perch

Post by martin(rockape) » Sun Dec 01 2019 19:25

Nothing special for me, i use an Opinal knife. They are cheap so easy to replace.

I really don't understand the need for knives to be camouflaged?? If anything they should have a bright coloured handle so it can be found when dropped.

On another note i can remember getting a sheaf knife for my birthday as a kid and always wore it when out and about.

Regards

Martin
Last edited by martin(rockape) on Mon Dec 02 2019 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

piker al
Chub
Chub

Post by piker al » Sun Dec 01 2019 20:37

I just use a simple filling knife, and a set of wall paper shears for chopping up rubby dubby

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Sun Dec 01 2019 21:33

Mercman wrote:
I use an original Leatherman had it for years. My son bought me a charge TTi titanium which costs a fortune (£225) but it is a bit large to carry around. I am not sure it is legal anymore because the blade locks, so don't carry it outdoors. They come with a 25 year guarantee btw.
If you are found in possession of a fixed or locking blade knife Ray, you have to be able to provide a convincing reason for carrying it. A demonstrable work, craft, outdoor activity or other acceptable purpose is expected under law. You'd need a particularly good argument if you were carrying it openly or concealed on your person, as opposed to in a work case or equipment bag - in other words not immediately to hand.

It is legal to carry a folding blade (that doesn't lock) on your person if the blade is no longer than 3", without providing any reason. You obviously can't carry one onto an aeroplane (and your feet probably wouldn't touch the ground if you went into a nightclub or football match with one on you!).

Mercman
Chub
Chub

Post by Mercman » Sun Dec 01 2019 22:00

John Milford wrote:
Mercman wrote:
If you are found in possession of a fixed or locking blade knife Ray, you have to be able to provide a convincing reason for carrying it. A demonstrable work, craft, outdoor activity or other acceptable purpose is expected under law. You'd need a particularly good argument if you were carrying it openly or concealed on your person, as opposed to in a work case or equipment bag - in other words not immediately to hand.

It is legal to carry a folding blade (that doesn't lock) on your person if the blade is no longer than 3", without providing any reason. You obviously can't carry one onto an aeroplane (and your feet probably wouldn't touch the ground if you went into a nightclub or football match with one on you!).
Thanks John, my original Leatherman does not have a locking blade, but the TTi one does lock. The law has I believe, been changed or tightened after my son bought me the titanium one for my fiftieth birthday 12 years ago, so don't carry that one on my belt anymore.
Delboy is actually only 65 years old, I had to confess!

Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully » Sun Dec 01 2019 22:21

Kershaw folding combat knife for me .
Very sharp and part is serrated so can saw a frozen solid dead bait in half with ease.

I did get stopped by police once in new street train station and i had the knife in an pocket within my work holdall ,
They asked what I done for a living so i told them ,and they basically said that because I'm in a trade and not actually carrying the knife on my person im ok to carry the knife in this manner (safe place in my bag)
.I must admit I was thinking I was going to end up in deep shift.
Born to fish but forced to work

Steve Moore
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Moore » Sun Dec 01 2019 22:36

I normally carry a opinel no7 carbon with me at all times, very sharp and very easy to sharpen. Often use it to eat with, my favourite knife for cheese and steak.
When fishing I also have a mustad deadbait knife, an opinel no 8 outdoor knife, and a Swiss army huntsman with me.
For work I carry a Stanley quickslide knife on my belt.
I like knives, also have a range of metal Swiss army knives, a few opinels, And a buck 112 knife. :laughs:

Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Flipflopjoe » Sun Dec 01 2019 22:59

John Milford wrote:

IMG_20191201_125144.jpg
I’ve got this exact knife and didn’t know anything about it. It was my late Gandfathers passed onto me. The man lit the angling fire inside of me, starting with trout on the fly, so it is very sentimentally dear to me anyway.
I find it a bugger to keep it from rusting, I tend to rub the blade down and oil it after every session.
Wouldn’t swap it for the world tho, holds a good edge !

I also use a leather man multi tool for other bits and bobs bank side.

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Sun Dec 01 2019 23:17

I used to carry a folder at all times "just in case" but in reality, "just in case" never happens, so I stopped. But my "just in case" wasn't fear of attack, it was just in case I needed a knife for the jobs a knife would do.

When I was a young boy, myself and loads of mates openly carried sheath knives on our belts. We played stretch and chicken and often got hit in the foot with a blade which sometimes punctured our trainer, doc marten, rider etc but amazingly never caused injury.

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Mon Dec 02 2019 00:08

Flipflopjoe wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20191201_125144.jpg
I’ve got this exact knife and didn’t know anything about it. It was my late Gandfathers passed onto me. The man lit the angling fire inside of me, starting with trout on the fly, so it is very sentimentally dear to me anyway.
I find it a bugger to keep it from rusting, I tend to rub the blade down and oil it after every session.
Wouldn’t swap it for the world tho, holds a good edge !

I also use a leather man multi tool for other bits and bobs bank side.
Those Rodgers knives have been around, in very much the same form, for a century Joe. The alternative to the bone handled ones had 'stacked leather' handles. My twin bother Rob had the stacked leather version, the handle being formed from tightly compressed leather washers of different shades, which were then shaped and polished to a smooth finish. I believe they made knives in the 'stacked leather' type for the British army - including the iconic daggers issued to commando units in WW2. :cool:

Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Dec 02 2019 14:14

Swiss army knife in the jacket pocket for general use, fillet knife for cutting up fish.....
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Mon Dec 02 2019 15:19

Jason Skilton wrote:
Swiss army knife in the jacket pocket for general use, fillet knife for cutting up fish.....
My missus is very skilled. She can cut a rope with her left hand, uncork a wine bottle with her right, file her nails with her left foot, get stones out of horse's hooves with her right one and open beer bottles with her teeth. She's a Swiss Army wife . . . . :coat:

willowisp
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by willowisp » Mon Dec 02 2019 23:06

Aye but has she got a pair of tweezers?

Sam
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Sam » Tue Dec 03 2019 17:03

Mora knives for me, cheap and sharp and stays on the belt when on the bank or in the woods. Nice scandi grind that comes up sharp as you like with a bit of stropping.

Mora Companion, cheap and sharp. Makes short work of frozen baits.

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-mor ... -green.htm

phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c » Tue Dec 03 2019 18:12

This is my knife..

Brilliant for cutting frozen baits.

I have had mine for five years and still as sharp as a razor..

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/ ... d-edge.htm
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Tue Dec 03 2019 20:26

phil.c wrote:
This is my knife..

I'm sure you don't, but take no notice of the sales description Phil - that locking knife is not legal to carry as a 'pocket knife' in the UK. (But OK to carry, in your fishing bag, for cutting up baits). Our knife laws are more stringent that the EU's.

"The Tenacious pocket knife from Spyderco is an excellent example of a knife that is ideal for everyday carry". (If you wanna get arrested blood, innit!).

Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug » Tue Dec 03 2019 23:39

Stupid question but I keep a 11” pruning saw in the car is this classed as a knife/weapon? Obviously I don’t have reason to carry it when driving round 99% of the time.

martin(rockape)
Perch
Perch

Post by martin(rockape) » Wed Dec 04 2019 10:25

Slug wrote:
Stupid question but I keep a 11” pruning saw in the car is this classed as a knife/weapon? Obviously I don’t have reason to carry it when driving round 99% of the time.
If your intending to use it as a weapon then that is exactly what it is. Other than that its a pruning saw for the use of.

Regards

Martin

Sam
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Sam » Wed Dec 04 2019 13:12

Slug wrote:
I have multiple bowsaws, silky saws, chainsaws, machetes and all sorts in the (deadlocked and belled right up) fishing wagon. As a volunteer Fisheries Manager for my local club, I think I have an excuse. I tend not to stop for old bill anyway. It will be harder to explain the hunting slingshot and ball bearings within easy reach in the door card.

Regarding EDC / every day carry. We should all have the ability to cut things and start fires on us at all times. We are men. This is the way...

phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c » Wed Dec 04 2019 18:40

John Milford wrote:
phil.c wrote:
This is my knife..

I'm sure you don't, but take no notice of the sales description Phil - that locking knife is not legal to carry as a 'pocket knife' in the UK. (But OK to carry, in your fishing bag, for cutting up baits). Our knife laws are more stringent that the EU's.

"The Tenacious pocket knife from Spyderco is an excellent example of a knife that is ideal for everyday carry". (If you wanna get arrested blood, innit!).
I always have my knife in my waistcoat pocket.

But I don't wear the waistcoat on a public highway.

Only wearing it on club owned waters I presume it's ok and legal.

I never really knew what the rules were.. :red:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Wed Dec 04 2019 19:17

phil.c wrote:
John Milford wrote:
phil.c wrote:
This is my knife..

I always have my knife in my waistcoat pocket.

But I don't wear the waistcoat on a public highway.

Only wearing it on club owned waters I presume it's ok and legal.

I never really knew what the rules were.. :red:
That sounds like a pretty safe assumption Phil. All the law demands in the case of knives (other than non-locking, folding knives with blades of 3" or less) is that you are carrying them for a current and legitimate purpose. So, if you're on your way to or from a days fishing - and in possession of a knife for use in that pursuit, you have a valid reason.

On the other hand, if you had even a butter knife on you - but were unable to provide a reason for having it, if challenged - you'd be breaking the law.

For anyone's interest, this is the Government advice: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Dec 05 2019 11:07

John Milford wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
My missus is very skilled. She can cut a rope with her left hand, uncork a wine bottle with her right, file her nails with her left foot, get stones out of horse's hooves with her right one and open beer bottles with her teeth. She's a Swiss Army wife . . . . :coat:
:shoot: :boing:
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

Chris Hammond
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Chris Hammond » Fri Dec 06 2019 18:29

If it's intended for bushcraft check out the Wilkinson Sword Ray Mears endorsed survival knife. 🙂

If you can find one you'll need a second mortgage!

I have a cheap copy which is ok for cutting luncheon meat...
Last edited by Chris Hammond on Fri Dec 06 2019 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Hammond
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Chris Hammond » Fri Dec 06 2019 18:32