FS Pike tamer

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Seb P. Phillips
Stickleback
Stickleback

FS Pike tamer

Post by Seb P. Phillips » Mon Dec 02 2019 23:05

Planning on getting a pair of these but not sure whether to get the big bait or multi range, I'll be using them on a range of waters but mostly fairly short- medium range casts and with various bait sizes.

Any advice from those who've used these would be appreciated :)

Captain Ahab
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: FS Pike tamer

Post by Captain Ahab » Tue Dec 03 2019 21:41

I have a pair of the big baits, in my opinion they are great but a one trick pony, cast a big bait a long way and put the rod down. I would not want these rods as my only general fishing choice as they are fairly heavy and very stiff, it takes a hell of a fish to even put a bend in them and I wouldn’t want to hold one all day either. I don’t believe in bait boats so for me it’s my choice for distance fishing and also a good drifter rod. Would def get the multi range based on your requirements.

pikin
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by pikin » Tue Dec 03 2019 22:30

I had a set of the Multi Range.
Deffo nearer to 2 1/2lb TC V the stated 3lb.
Nice rods but no use for big baits

Mobo4pike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Mobo4pike » Tue Dec 03 2019 22:33

Seb P. Phillips wrote:
Planning on getting a pair of these but not sure whether to get the big bait or multi range, I'll be using them on a range of waters but mostly fairly short- medium range casts and with various bait sizes.

Any advice from those who've used these would be appreciated :)

I have both....

Use the multi ranges for the majority of my close/medium range fishing. And they've got a nice soft action will bend well even with a jack on.

The big baits are brilliant for howfin oot deads on the big lochs and at range fishing and I don't agree with what the chap said before about them not bending. He must be catching wee fishes. :wink:

Just depends on your fishing aswel but if you are planning on pinging larger baits out or fishing at any range I would opt for the big boys.
Ye s**g one trout and all of a sudden yer a broony shagger :roll: .

Oldskoolfool
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Oldskoolfool » Wed Dec 04 2019 13:31

I use the MRs as my general rods on everywhere from local canal, rivers and most still waters for nearly all my general piking needs - nice rods and no issues but they are under gunned rods for long range work or very large baits so recommend you consider the big baits. Apparently the BB's are also useful cat rods

Seb P. Phillips
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Seb P. Phillips » Wed Dec 04 2019 14:00

Cheers lads, the MR it is then!

Jock Gordon
Chub
Chub

Post by Jock Gordon » Thu Dec 05 2019 18:26

I use 3 of the original 3.5 big baits , excellent rods and not stiff as mentioned above had these for 10 yrs now and cant fault them as distance rods and ideal when bait boating.
Also used the multi range originals for closer in, again never had a problem with them but as stated for a 3lb t/c rod it is a tad trippy.