Trolling rods which one's

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Tue Dec 03 2019 12:09

I'm getting into this trolling malarky (well having a go) and I'm wondering which are the best rods to go for :scratch:

Cheers guys :wink:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Tue Dec 03 2019 12:36

The savage trolling rods get good reports from the guys who use them.
I know some guys like short rods. I still have two long rods 12 and 13 ft for my side rods a daiwa whisker salmon worming rod and a daiwa salmon spinning rod.They keep the baits and lures a good distance apart. And two shorter 8 ft rods ugly stick and a cabelas line through rigger rod for the downrigger. Also a wee fox jerk bait rod for my planer board.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

royboy
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1003
Joined: Mon Sep 05 2011 05:00
Location: Ireland

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by royboy » Tue Dec 03 2019 12:37

.

User avatar
andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by andrew_nagel » Tue Dec 03 2019 17:52

What size of lures are you generally trolling? Are you using planer boards as well as 'flat line' trolling?

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Tue Dec 03 2019 20:17

fergie68 wrote:
The savage trolling rods get good reports from the guys who use them.
I know some guys like short rods. I still have two long rods 12 and 13 ft for my side rods a daiwa whisker salmon worming rod and a daiwa salmon spinning rod.They keep the baits and lures a good distance apart. And two shorter 8 ft rods ugly stick and a cabelas line through rigger rod for the downrigger. Also a wee fox jerk bait rod for my planer board.
Which mod of savage trolling rods? As there's a few :scratch:

And I wasn't thinking of using downrigger's. but if I did I have some Tinka (I think thats the name? but I'd have to go in the garage to check)

I have some small planer boards (savage) I know but there ok for light lures :wink:

Thanks Mr Fergie :thumbs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by andrew_nagel » Tue Dec 03 2019 20:21

Are you targeting pike?

Steve Le maitre
Perch
Perch
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Mar 13 2015 20:28

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Steve Le maitre » Tue Dec 03 2019 20:39

andrew_nagel wrote:
Are you targeting pike?
Anything that’ll have him !

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Tue Dec 03 2019 21:19

I don't know grant. White ones.!!
I will ask around.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Tue Dec 03 2019 22:12

fergie68 wrote:
I don't know grant. White ones.!!
I will ask around.
That sounds like the line through rod ?

Cheers

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Tue Dec 03 2019 22:17

andrew_nagel wrote:
What size of lures are you generally trolling? Are you using planer boards as well as 'flat line' trolling?
Medium to large lures and I will be using planer boards and flat line trolling and yes I'm after Pike

I have Savage boards and have just ordered these planer boards (Supracruz planer boards)

Thanks Andrew :thumbs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Tue Dec 03 2019 22:46

The savage ones I seen Wernt line throughs. The line through rods are excellent for rigger work though. :thumbs:
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by andrew_nagel » Tue Dec 03 2019 23:44

I have a pair of the Savage MP that I use for leadcore line trolling. The blanks have a really nice action. Not as thick walled as a Lumby rod but you get what you pay for. The rings were crap - the ceramic liners wore through to the frame after a couple of seasons so I re did them with the standard Fuji rings DL uses on his rods. I also chopped the butt down as they were too long. This lightened them too as there's a balancing weight in the end of the butt that I did away with. Nice actioned rods for trolling, but as I've described I had to do mods to make them fit for purpose. All my other pike trolling rods are DL Raiders made to 8' with the standard fuji rings. I've tried a fair few different rods and found the Raider works best for me. I use them for both zeds and pike with smaller cranks from 4" to bigger cranks and softbaits etc up to 8 & 10". They have the power lower down to hook the fish, with a sensitive enough tip to know what's going on at the lure end. I'm looking into rods for salmon trolling and most of those are cheap at around £40 - £50 a rod with deals on buying multiple rods. I 'm not sure how well their rings will hold up to braid though as most of the salmon trollers use mono.

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Wed Dec 04 2019 00:10

andrew_nagel wrote:
I have a pair of the Savage MP that I use for leadcore line trolling. The blanks have a really nice action. Not as thick walled as a Lumby rod but you get what you pay for. The rings were crap - the ceramic liners wore through to the frame after a couple of seasons so I re did them with the standard Fuji rings DL uses on his rods. I also chopped the butt down as they were too long. This lightened them too as there's a balancing weight in the end of the butt that I did away with. Nice actioned rods for trolling, but as I've described I had to do mods to make them fit for purpose. All my other pike trolling rods are DL Raiders made to 8' with the standard fuji rings. I've tried a fair few different rods and found the Raider works best for me. I use them for both zeds and pike with smaller cranks from 4" to bigger cranks and softbaits etc up to 8 & 10". They have the power lower down to hook the fish, with a sensitive enough tip to know what's going on at the lure end. I'm looking into rods for salmon trolling and most of those are cheap at around £40 - £50 a rod with deals on buying multiple rods. I 'm not sure how well their rings will hold up to braid though as most of the salmon trollers use mono.
Ok thanks Andrew :thumbs:

I will have to see what I have in my Garage :scratch:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

royboy
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1003
Joined: Mon Sep 05 2011 05:00
Location: Ireland

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by royboy » Wed Dec 04 2019 01:27

Obviously , people have their own favorites ............
My own is a Savage Gear "Big Pike " , a one piece 8`6" , with a sliding section just in front of the reel .
Rated to 300gms but with a light sensitive tip , and loads of power closer to the butt .
So good I bought a second one !

I mostly fast troll deep diving crankbaits up to 5mph , sometimes slow troll big Reps , Line thrus , MagDawgs etc .

Pat

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Wed Dec 04 2019 10:20

It's the 8ft 6 my mate has. He says he felt the 9ft dipsy rod was just too stiff.
OK I suppose if you fish big dipsys.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Wed Dec 04 2019 18:31

Ok thanks for your replys guys :thumbs:

Not had chance to get into the garage today :roll:

I will get in tomorrow and let you all know what I have :wink:

Cheers

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Wed Dec 04 2019 21:38

How many rods you got out there grant. ❓ :grin:

I'm scared to count mine. :eek:
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Sat Dec 07 2019 14:47

Check these out grant.

FLADEN MAXXIMUS NANO INLINE 9ft 2.7m 2 Piece TROLLING BOAT SEA (60 to 120g Class) Carbon Fishing Rod - Offshore Large Species - Salmon, Pike and Predator
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Sat Dec 07 2019 14:48

You will find them on Amazon.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Sun Dec 08 2019 02:16

Cheers Alan :thumbs:

Hears what I'v got.

1 of, Greys Prodigy Jerk Bait, 6’6” 40 to 120g 2 piece

1, of, Nimrod Jerk Baiter, Derek Gibson 6’6” 1 piece (don’t say casting wait)

1, of, Rozemeiier Classic Gentle Jerk 6”6” 60 to 80g

A few Marver Armageddon 10’ 3lb 2 Piece (normal butt lengths)
But I have 4 of them with cutdown butts Mr :lumby: loves these :laughs:

2, of Sportex 10’6” 3lb (these are my old bank rods, not for multiplayers)

2, of Old Tricast comperst 10’6” 2 1/2 to 3lb (these are my old bank rods, not for multiplayers, and will bend through to the butt and are brill to play fish on)

3 of Rovex Durien Solid Tip Bass Plugger 11’6” 12 to 20 line

And 2 Tinca Downrigger 9’ 1/2 to 1.3/4 oz (just thought I’d put them in)

And 2 old 12' glass rods to hold the outriggers/sideplaners :wink:

Cheers guys

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Sun Dec 08 2019 17:49

Which ones do I keep for trolling and which ones do I bin :oops: Sorry pass on :scratch:

Cheers Guys

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Sun Dec 08 2019 18:56

The tricast sound good. 👍🏻
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Sun Dec 08 2019 19:50

fergie68 wrote:
The tricast sound good. 👍🏻
Al I was told that I need longish powerful rods the tricast rods bend through to the but with plenty of give in them :wink: I will give them a go next time out buddy :thumbs:

Cheers

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Sun Dec 08 2019 20:39

I do prefer a powerful rod grant as I like to troll decent sized baits. But I also appreciate a nice action in my rods. That big daiwa whisker I use can pull a 8"+ bait on a large lipskull with ease but with a fish on it bends right round the way you describe.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Mon Dec 09 2019 10:04

fergie68 wrote:
I do prefer a powerful rod grant as I like to troll decent sized baits. But I also appreciate a nice action in my rods. That big daiwa whisker I use can pull a 8"+ bait on a large lipskull with ease but with a fish on it bends right round the way you describe.
Ok cheers Al

I will give them a go :thumbs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Sep 08 2011 05:00
Location: Norfolk

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. » Mon Dec 09 2019 11:26

As with most forms of fishing there is no one rod that suits all situations. I have trolled lures for 20 odd years and have to say I have never bought a rod specifically for trolling. There are so many factors, lure size, Cranks or rubbers or Spinnerbaits or Spoons....they all need something different and of course whether you are resting or holding the rods. If you are getting really serious and using down riggers or lead core lines then yes I can see you may need something special but the only advice I would give is do not use soft rods as whether holding your rod or using multiple set ups you only have a split second to set the hooks and I therefore always troll with a stiffish rod and a casting set up, that way I expect to land 90% of the takes so even when trolling spoons I use my Lumby Fooler or something similar or a 70g casting weight Shin Shin (I know thats not how you spell it), I still get a great fight but these rods with a multiplier gives me confidence I won't bounce many fish. I set the clutch safely but tight...ish as well.

I now troll a lot on the broads, mainly hand held and between swims and the number of times I troll out of a swim where I have thrashed the water for 20 minutes without success and within 20 or 30 yards I have a fish on...... is unbelievable. I have given up trying to analise why but it just seems sometimes they just want a steady bait in the right place.


Martin

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by Crackoff » Mon Dec 09 2019 12:19

Martin Ward P.A.C. wrote:
As with most forms of fishing there is no one rod that suits all situations. I have trolled lures for 20 odd years and have to say I have never bought a rod specifically for trolling. There are so many factors, lure size, Cranks or rubbers or Spinnerbaits or Spoons....they all need something different and of course whether you are resting or holding the rods. If you are getting really serious and using down riggers or lead core lines then yes I can see you may need something special but the only advice I would give is do not use soft rods as whether holding your rod or using multiple set ups you only have a split second to set the hooks and I therefore always troll with a stiffish rod and a casting set up, that way I expect to land 90% of the takes so even when trolling spoons I use my Lumby Fooler or something similar or a 70g casting weight Shin Shin (I know thats not how you spell it), I still get a great fight but these rods with a multiplier gives me confidence I won't bounce many fish. I set the clutch safely but tight...ish as well.

I now troll a lot on the broads, mainly hand held and between swims and the number of times I troll out of a swim where I have thrashed the water for 20 minutes without success and within 20 or 30 yards I have a fish on...... is unbelievable. I have given up trying to analise why but it just seems sometimes they just want a steady bait in the right place.


Martin
Ok thanks for you reply Martin thats given me some help and a starting point

Suck it and see I say :wink:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

User avatar
lochhopper
Roach
Roach
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Nov 14 2012 06:00
Location: Bavaria, southern Germany

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by lochhopper » Mon Dec 09 2019 16:32

Crackoff wrote:
Cheers Alan :thumbs:

Hears what I'v got.

1 of, Greys Prodigy Jerk Bait, 6’6” 40 to 120g 2 piece

1, of, Nimrod Jerk Baiter, Derek Gibson 6’6” 1 piece (don’t say casting wait)

1, of, Rozemeiier Classic Gentle Jerk 6”6” 60 to 80g

A few Marver Armageddon 10’ 3lb 2 Piece (normal butt lengths)
But I have 4 of them with cutdown butts Mr :lumby: loves these :laughs:

2, of Sportex 10’6” 3lb (these are my old bank rods, not for multiplayers)

2, of Old Tricast comperst 10’6” 2 1/2 to 3lb (these are my old bank rods, not for multiplayers, and will bend through to the butt and are brill to play fish on)

3 of Rovex Durien Solid Tip Bass Plugger 11’6” 12 to 20 line

And 2 Tinca Downrigger 9’ 1/2 to 1.3/4 oz (just thought I’d put them in)

And 2 old 12' glass rods to hold the outriggers/sideplaners :wink:

Cheers guys

Grant :smile:
> And 2 Tinca Downrigger 9’ 1/2 to 1.3/4 oz

Now that's a market niche I never would have thought existed - downrigger fishing for tench :scratch: :grin: [Gets coat]

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by fergie68 » Mon Dec 09 2019 17:22

I'd say most longish salmon rods will do the trick for trolling. They are powerfully built and as Martin says have the back bone to set the hooks. They certainly tick all the boxes for me. I have a few very heavy salmon rods I could bring into use if I was wanting to troll even larger baits but the two im using now are fine.
Any one ever used those 9 ft travel rods cookies used. ❓ The look as if they could handle a decent size bait or lure.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
lochhopper
Roach
Roach
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Nov 14 2012 06:00
Location: Bavaria, southern Germany

Re: Trolling rods which one's

Post by lochhopper » Tue Dec 10 2019 11:05

My own preference: something stiff enough that it is not pulled round to its test curve when towing a 9" Grandma or an Ernie, but no stiffer. For one I like to see the lure working (e.g. so I can know when it has picked up some weed) and for another I like to think that the softer rod does not transmit as much of the action of the boat to the lure when there is a chop on. Lastly I want a rod with enough bend in it that it keeps the pressure on the fish in the time it takes me to drop the oars (mostly no outboards where I live) and grab the rod out of the rod holder.

My favourites are 80 to 100 g casting weight and 8' to 9' long. I've also got a 9' 150 g rod for heavy lures that have to be cast, e.g. larger soft plastics.

Post Reply