Crack off's!

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
NopikeAlex
Stickleback
Stickleback

Crack off's!

Post by NopikeAlex » Wed Dec 04 2019 17:30

Hello.. enjoying a nice little morning session lure fishing on Sunday and I suffered a crack off after having a fluff up on a bait caster. First time that had ever happened to me, quite p****d off and felt a bit sh*t about leaving something a bit like a baiting rig on the bottom of the lake. I put this down too having the same trace on for quite a long time and the knot maybe taking a bit of a hiding with the repeat casting 100g + lures. Then about an hour latter an 85g Ricky the roach flew off into the horizon. Gutted. Does anyone have any idea what might of caused this?? The line I'm using is 100lb spider wire and the knot I've been using is twice through the eye of the swivel and a 5 turn grinner. Btw It was another birdy that caused the second crack off

alan behenna
Chub
Chub

Re: Crack off's!

Post by alan behenna » Wed Dec 04 2019 18:12

How old is that last length of line? Is it old? If you have never suffered' a c-off before, it might need taking a few yards off, or perhaps maybe reverse it, if you have not yet done so?

:shrug:

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Wed Dec 04 2019 18:26

Crackoff's for a min I thought you where talking about me :laughs: :boing: :boing: :giggle:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

NopikeAlex
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by NopikeAlex » Wed Dec 04 2019 18:26

Thanks for your reply Alan. The line was only put on in July but that's not a bad shout ripping a couple of meters off incase it's rubbed up against something thing rough. While I'm thinking about it on a similar line of thought I'm going to check my eyes on my rod. That's only a few months old but I didn't check that. I was a bit hungover Sunday morning and it didn't Acura to me at the time

NopikeAlex
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by NopikeAlex » Wed Dec 04 2019 18:56

Hahahaha ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ you must have some experience on this subject with a user name like that!! I've had my fair share beach fishing.. leader wrapped around the rod tip etc. But it's a new one for me lure fishing and a much more heart breaking/ expensive turn out with a lure!!

NopikeAlex
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by NopikeAlex » Wed Dec 04 2019 19:18

My eyes are ok. The ones on my rod at least!

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Wed Dec 04 2019 19:55

There is nothing like a 'fluff up' or overrun to cause hidden embedded coils which are not obvious - until they suddenly bring everything to a catastrophic stop, mid-cast. I'd do a long but slow lob cast with a heavy, aerodynamic lure - and then strip off yards more line until you're certain everything is OK.Then rewind it all back on the reel under slight tension.

Whenever I get an overrun, I always strip back way beyond it before rewinding and often find another embedded coil or two a few layers down.

(Anyone who says they never get overruns isn't trying hard enough! :pipe: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

NopikeAlex
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by NopikeAlex » Wed Dec 04 2019 23:11

Yeah I'm with ya John, one other thing I will say is this happened on a much more open
Water ressie then the smaller rivers I fish if conditions allow. Maybe I've exposed some
Shagged up braid from a bit of the spool from other over runs.. I ve only been using a bait caster about six months. Used a 7ht off the beach for years with far less trouble but using much better casting diameter of mono off the beach

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Dec 05 2019 11:15

NopikeAlex wrote: โ†‘
Yeah I'm with ya John, one other thing I will say is this happened on a much more open
Water ressie then the smaller rivers I fish if conditions allow. Maybe I've exposed some
Shagged up braid from a bit of the spool from other over runs.. I ve only been using a bait caster about six months. Used a 7ht off the beach for years with far less trouble but using much better casting diameter of mono off the beach
MAybe on teh bigger waters you're trying too hard?

Stripping some line off to lower the level on the spool will help reduce overruns. :wink:

NopikeAlex
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by NopikeAlex » Thu Dec 05 2019 20:07

Hello Dave I did wonder that myself a bit, because there's no oppersite margin to have to worry about I was maybe over hitting the castsa bit! I've striped a fair bit of the braid off now to rule out any damaged line and lower the level on the spool. I've replace the two lost lures now and I'll be going out again sunday.. if it happens again I think I'll respool the reel, if it and the rod don't end up going in after the lures

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Dec 05 2019 20:10

NopikeAlex wrote: โ†‘
Hello Dave I did wonder that myself a bit, because there's no oppersite margin to have to worry about I was maybe over hitting the castsa bit! I've striped a fair bit of the braid off now to rule out any damaged line and lower the level on the spool. I've replace the two lost lures now and I'll be going out again sunday.. if it happens again I think I'll respool the reel, if it and the rod don't end up going in after the lures
:thumbs:

Good luck. :smile: