Chub

Beavers now

Post by Danoutdoors »

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Beavers now

Post by Mike J »

If this project leads to better flood control and a more diverse habitat it will be most welcome.

The idea of natural ponds on rivers would provide a superb fry refuges and as they develop add a whole new branch to our sport.

We should all welcome this initiative.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

This was done in Essex a couple years back. A couple we’re introduced somewhere and I’m sure there was meant to be a tv programme made about it ?!?
They were once a native species (by all accounts :shrug: ), hunted to extinction, so I suppose they should be there and will hopefully be good for our waterways !?!

Do they eat otters by any chance ??? :laughs:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Can't have a beaver thread without this-

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

ChrisWales wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 13:35 -

That scene was my immediate thought when I read the thread title!
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

:laughs:
Joe Birch
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mattjb wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 13:38 -

That scene was my immediate thought when I read the thread title!
This was mine.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Rolling a round bale of silage into the ditch would aid flood prevention so let’s do that then ! Just who comes up with this rubbish, it’s to justify introducing a species to the thick public.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Flipflopjoe wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 13:31 -
This was done in Essex a couple years back. A couple we’re introduced somewhere and I’m sure there was meant to be a tv programme made about it ?!?
They were once a native species (by all accounts :shrug: ), hunted to extinction, so I suppose they should be there and will hopefully be good for our waterways !?!

Otters will kill a Beaver, they won’t kill a round bale of silage, I say go with that.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

What kills otters- that's a question......
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Seriously saying Beavers were once resident is nonsense really as resident wolves would naturally keep numbers down. As Steve says it's just an excuse for do gooders/ tree huggers/ environ"MENTAL "lists to introduce a new species......
The grey squirrel wasn't a very good idea and yes I know where it was brought in from.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 21:14 -

Otters will kill a Beaver, they won’t kill a round bale of silage, I say go with that.
It was asked “tongue in cheek” tbh !
Joe Birch
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Flipflopjoe wrote: Thu Jan 16 2020 00:11 -
Steve Le maitre wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 21:14 -

It was asked “tongue in cheek” tbh !
Don’t worry i know it was :grin: For all it’s madness I still think the bale of silage would be better than the Beaver even though it’s a absolutely ridiculous idea. At least with the bale of silage you could control the flow of water where you want to, I doubt the Beaver understands flood management a bit like the people bringing these things in.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

JohnCopeman wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 23:58 -
Seriously saying Beavers were once resident is nonsense really as resident wolves would naturally keep numbers down. As Steve says it's just an excuse for do gooders/ tree huggers/ environ"MENTAL "lists to introduce a new species......
The grey squirrel wasn't a very good idea and yes I know where it was brought in from.
The people who are introducing beavers are likely to be the same kind who DO want to reintroduce wolves and lynx. Then it'll be bears and bison and their holy grail - pelicans. Yes folks, pelicans.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

A search for pelican reintroduction then Dave brought me to an article where it lists pike in the top 5 most dangerous animals in Scotland!
:boing:
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Slug wrote: Thu Jan 16 2020 10:32 -
A search for pelican reintroduction then Dave brought me to an article where it lists pike in the top 5 most dangerous animals in Scotland!
:boing:

:laughs:

Who prints this s***e'...................still I get it though............there's going to be numpties' thick enough to believe it.

:roll:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jan 16 2020 11:52 -
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Yellowstone is a bit different to the UK though.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Thu Jan 16 2020 12:03 -
It is Dave. Just an example to show that reintroducing the wildlife isn't necessarily always a bad thing.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jan 16 2020 12:15 -
It is Dave. Just an example to show that reintroducing the wildlife isn't necessarily always a bad thing.
:thumbs:
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jan 16 2020 12:15 -
Agreed..... :thumbs: .......but with the ol' "BUT"

IF it's done intelligently and with a return to balance in mind, it "can" work, in some circumstances, also depending on "what" and "how" the "it" is being re-introduced into an environment where "it" has been absent for decades/centuries etc.

The other side of the coin is the utter crap-of-a-mess you can see when a complete b'-up is made with the "unofficial" or ill thought out reintroduction of a former "apex". Things quickly go south, as we have already seen in some areas.

There's some Beavers going in further west, as above, let's hope it's carefully monitored, rather have them than Tarkus'.

:shrug:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I'd like to know if man put our weirs where, historically, beavers would have dammed :smile: :roll:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

I will ask them....
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Just call me Dr Dolittle
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

My wife does......
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I seen it, it was really interesting. The park was basically on its knees as the deer population has boomed with no real natural predators left (or not enough), and they were destroying the place.
Enter the wolves, and I’m sure the changes were noticeable after only a couple years.
Joe Birch
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Thu Jan 16 2020 23:51 -
I seen it, it was really interesting. The park was basically on its knees as the deer population has boomed with no real natural predators left (or not enough), and they were destroying the place.
Enter the wolves, and I’m sure the changes were noticeable after only a couple years.

Exactly what is happening in the Scottish Highlands today where the red deep population said to number over 400,000 and is out of control in many areas with extensive damage to the habitat being caused by their browsing of young saplings.
The reintroduction of a pair of wolves would be a very useful trial, they coukd be tracked and monitored and remeoved if required.
The red deer of the highlands are also an introduced species whereas wolves had been present since the ice age.

Red deer were introduce in New Zealand, now there is a policy of total eradication, not only the red deer but all none native species. We should do something similar to the grey squirrel, we eleimanted the coypu using contractors, squirrels would just take a little longer.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jan 17 2020 10:42 -

Exactly what is happening in the Scottish Highlands today where the red deep population said to number over 400,000 and is out of control in many areas with extensive damage to the habitat being caused by their browsing of young saplings.
The reintroduction of a pair of wolves would be a very useful trial, they coukd be tracked and monitored and remeoved if required.
The red deer of the highlands are also an introduced species whereas wolves had been present since the ice age.

Red deer were introduce in New Zealand, now there is a policy of total eradication, not only the red deer but all none native species. We should do something similar to the grey squirrel, we eleimanted the coypu using contractors, squirrels would just take a little longer.
problem with grey squirrels Mike is they are now living in gardens, you will never get all the householders to shoot/trap them---and they have been dysneyfied so everyone who only watches the telly thinks they cute and cuddly critters
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Wouldn’t the wolves still opt for a easy meal of sheep or cow over the graft of chasing down a deer, I would think if there’s 400,000 and they are doing extensive damage they should be put in to the human food chain, think we are far too over populated to re introduce apex predators these days
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I never knew we had Coypu in the past Mike, how recently?

EDIT:

Just googled it, declared extinct in the UK as recently as 1989 :shrug: