Beavers now

For the Twitchers amongst us
Danoutdoors
Perch
Perch
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Mar 26 2016 09:40

Beavers now

Post by Danoutdoors » Wed Jan 15 2020 10:45


User avatar
Mike J
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4624
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Beavers now

Post by Mike J » Wed Jan 15 2020 10:56

If this project leads to better flood control and a more diverse habitat it will be most welcome.

The idea of natural ponds on rivers would provide a superb fry refuges and as they develop add a whole new branch to our sport.

We should all welcome this initiative.

User avatar
Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Sep 29 2018 13:27

Re: Beavers now

Post by Flipflopjoe » Wed Jan 15 2020 13:31

This was done in Essex a couple years back. A couple we’re introduced somewhere and I’m sure there was meant to be a tv programme made about it ?!?
They were once a native species (by all accounts :shrug: ), hunted to extinction, so I suppose they should be there and will hopefully be good for our waterways !?!

Do they eat otters by any chance ??? :laughs:

User avatar
ChrisWales
Perch
Perch
Posts: 815
Joined: Mon Mar 28 2016 22:18
Location: Conwy

Re: Beavers now

Post by ChrisWales » Wed Jan 15 2020 13:35

Can't have a beaver thread without this-

Image

Mattjb
Perch
Perch
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012 06:00

Re: Beavers now

Post by Mattjb » Wed Jan 15 2020 13:38

ChrisWales wrote:
Can't have a beaver thread without this-

Image
That scene was my immediate thought when I read the thread title!

User avatar
Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Sep 29 2018 13:27

Re: Beavers now

Post by Flipflopjoe » Wed Jan 15 2020 13:41

ChrisWales wrote:
Can't have a beaver thread without this-

Image
:laughs:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 24911
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Beavers now

Post by davelumb » Wed Jan 15 2020 13:53

Mattjb wrote:
ChrisWales wrote:
Can't have a beaver thread without this-

Image
That scene was my immediate thought when I read the thread title!
This was mine.

Steve Le maitre
Perch
Perch
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Mar 13 2015 20:28

Re: Beavers now

Post by Steve Le maitre » Wed Jan 15 2020 21:10

Rolling a round bale of silage into the ditch would aid flood prevention so let’s do that then ! Just who comes up with this rubbish, it’s to justify introducing a species to the thick public.

Steve Le maitre
Perch
Perch
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Mar 13 2015 20:28

Re: Beavers now

Post by Steve Le maitre » Wed Jan 15 2020 21:14

Flipflopjoe wrote:
This was done in Essex a couple years back. A couple we’re introduced somewhere and I’m sure there was meant to be a tv programme made about it ?!?
They were once a native species (by all accounts :shrug: ), hunted to extinction, so I suppose they should be there and will hopefully be good for our waterways !?!

Do they eat otters by any chance ??? :laughs:
Otters will kill a Beaver, they won’t kill a round bale of silage, I say go with that.

JohnCopeman
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 25 2019 11:29

Re: Beavers now

Post by JohnCopeman » Wed Jan 15 2020 23:53

What kills otters- that's a question......

JohnCopeman
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 25 2019 11:29

Re: Beavers now

Post by JohnCopeman » Wed Jan 15 2020 23:58

Seriously saying Beavers were once resident is nonsense really as resident wolves would naturally keep numbers down. As Steve says it's just an excuse for do gooders/ tree huggers/ environ"MENTAL "lists to introduce a new species......
The grey squirrel wasn't a very good idea and yes I know where it was brought in from.

User avatar
Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Sep 29 2018 13:27

Re: Beavers now

Post by Flipflopjoe » Thu Jan 16 2020 00:11

Steve Le maitre wrote:
Flipflopjoe wrote:
This was done in Essex a couple years back. A couple we’re introduced somewhere and I’m sure there was meant to be a tv programme made about it ?!?
They were once a native species (by all accounts :shrug: ), hunted to extinction, so I suppose they should be there and will hopefully be good for our waterways !?!

Do they eat otters by any chance ??? :laughs:
Otters will kill a Beaver, they won’t kill a round bale of silage, I say go with that.
It was asked “tongue in cheek” tbh !

Steve Le maitre
Perch
Perch
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Mar 13 2015 20:28

Re: Beavers now

Post by Steve Le maitre » Thu Jan 16 2020 07:40

Flipflopjoe wrote:
Steve Le maitre wrote:
Flipflopjoe wrote:
This was done in Essex a couple years back. A couple we’re introduced somewhere and I’m sure there was meant to be a tv programme made about it ?!?
They were once a native species (by all accounts :shrug: ), hunted to extinction, so I suppose they should be there and will hopefully be good for our waterways !?!

Do they eat otters by any chance ??? :laughs:
Otters will kill a Beaver, they won’t kill a round bale of silage, I say go with that.
It was asked “tongue in cheek” tbh !
Don’t worry i know it was :grin: For all it’s madness I still think the bale of silage would be better than the Beaver even though it’s a absolutely ridiculous idea. At least with the bale of silage you could control the flow of water where you want to, I doubt the Beaver understands flood management a bit like the people bringing these things in.

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 24911
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Beavers now

Post by davelumb » Thu Jan 16 2020 09:24

JohnCopeman wrote:
Seriously saying Beavers were once resident is nonsense really as resident wolves would naturally keep numbers down. As Steve says it's just an excuse for do gooders/ tree huggers/ environ"MENTAL "lists to introduce a new species......
The grey squirrel wasn't a very good idea and yes I know where it was brought in from.
The people who are introducing beavers are likely to be the same kind who DO want to reintroduce wolves and lynx. Then it'll be bears and bison and their holy grail - pelicans. Yes folks, pelicans.

Slug
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sat Jan 11 2014 21:49

Re: Beavers now

Post by Slug » Thu Jan 16 2020 10:32

A search for pelican reintroduction then Dave brought me to an article where it lists pike in the top 5 most dangerous animals in Scotland!
:boing:

User avatar
alan behenna
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Sep 14 2015 15:45
Location: Where Sheep are Nervous.

Re: Beavers now

Post by alan behenna » Thu Jan 16 2020 11:06

Slug wrote:
A search for pelican reintroduction then Dave brought me to an article where it lists pike in the top 5 most dangerous animals in Scotland!
:boing:

:laughs:

Who prints this s***e'...................still I get it though............there's going to be numpties' thick enough to believe it.

:roll:

User avatar
Kev Berry
Pike
Pike
Posts: 20558
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Beavers now

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Jan 16 2020 11:52

Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 24911
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Beavers now

Post by davelumb » Thu Jan 16 2020 12:03

Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
Yellowstone is a bit different to the UK though.

User avatar
Kev Berry
Pike
Pike
Posts: 20558
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Beavers now

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Jan 16 2020 12:15

davelumb wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
Yellowstone is a bit different to the UK though.
It is Dave. Just an example to show that reintroducing the wildlife isn't necessarily always a bad thing.

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 24911
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Beavers now

Post by davelumb » Thu Jan 16 2020 12:33

Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
Yellowstone is a bit different to the UK though.
It is Dave. Just an example to show that reintroducing the wildlife isn't necessarily always a bad thing.
:thumbs:

User avatar
alan behenna
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Sep 14 2015 15:45
Location: Where Sheep are Nervous.

Re: Beavers now

Post by alan behenna » Thu Jan 16 2020 12:44

Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
Yellowstone is a bit different to the UK though.
It is Dave. Just an example to show that reintroducing the wildlife isn't necessarily always a bad thing.
Agreed..... :thumbs: .......but with the ol' "BUT"

IF it's done intelligently and with a return to balance in mind, it "can" work, in some circumstances, also depending on "what" and "how" the "it" is being re-introduced into an environment where "it" has been absent for decades/centuries etc.

The other side of the coin is the utter crap-of-a-mess you can see when a complete b'-up is made with the "unofficial" or ill thought out reintroduction of a former "apex". Things quickly go south, as we have already seen in some areas.

There's some Beavers going in further west, as above, let's hope it's carefully monitored, rather have them than Tarkus'.

:shrug:

User avatar
Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Stockton on Redacted

Re: Beavers now

Post by Bob Watson » Thu Jan 16 2020 18:24

I'd like to know if man put our weirs where, historically, beavers would have dammed :smile: :roll:

JohnCopeman
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 25 2019 11:29

Re: Beavers now

Post by JohnCopeman » Thu Jan 16 2020 19:55

I will ask them....

JohnCopeman
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 25 2019 11:29

Re: Beavers now

Post by JohnCopeman » Thu Jan 16 2020 19:56

Just call me Dr Dolittle

JohnCopeman
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 25 2019 11:29

Re: Beavers now

Post by JohnCopeman » Thu Jan 16 2020 19:57

My wife does......

User avatar
Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Sep 29 2018 13:27

Re: Beavers now

Post by Flipflopjoe » Thu Jan 16 2020 23:51

Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
I seen it, it was really interesting. The park was basically on its knees as the deer population has boomed with no real natural predators left (or not enough), and they were destroying the place.
Enter the wolves, and I’m sure the changes were noticeable after only a couple years.

User avatar
Mike J
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4624
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Beavers now

Post by Mike J » Fri Jan 17 2020 10:42

Flipflopjoe wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
I seen it, it was really interesting. The park was basically on its knees as the deer population has boomed with no real natural predators left (or not enough), and they were destroying the place.
Enter the wolves, and I’m sure the changes were noticeable after only a couple years.


Exactly what is happening in the Scottish Highlands today where the red deep population said to number over 400,000 and is out of control in many areas with extensive damage to the habitat being caused by their browsing of young saplings.
The reintroduction of a pair of wolves would be a very useful trial, they coukd be tracked and monitored and remeoved if required.
The red deer of the highlands are also an introduced species whereas wolves had been present since the ice age.

Red deer were introduce in New Zealand, now there is a policy of total eradication, not only the red deer but all none native species. We should do something similar to the grey squirrel, we eleimanted the coypu using contractors, squirrels would just take a little longer.

User avatar
Kev Berry
Pike
Pike
Posts: 20558
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Beavers now

Post by Kev Berry » Fri Jan 17 2020 11:02

Mike J wrote:
Flipflopjoe wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
I seen it, it was really interesting. The park was basically on its knees as the deer population has boomed with no real natural predators left (or not enough), and they were destroying the place.
Enter the wolves, and I’m sure the changes were noticeable after only a couple years.


Exactly what is happening in the Scottish Highlands today where the red deep population said to number over 400,000 and is out of control in many areas with extensive damage to the habitat being caused by their browsing of young saplings.
The reintroduction of a pair of wolves would be a very useful trial, they coukd be tracked and monitored and remeoved if required.
The red deer of the highlands are also an introduced species whereas wolves had been present since the ice age.

Red deer were introduce in New Zealand, now there is a policy of total eradication, not only the red deer but all none native species. We should do something similar to the grey squirrel, we eleimanted the coypu using contractors, squirrels would just take a little longer.
problem with grey squirrels Mike is they are now living in gardens, you will never get all the householders to shoot/trap them---and they have been dysneyfied so everyone who only watches the telly thinks they cute and cuddly critters

Danoutdoors
Perch
Perch
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Mar 26 2016 09:40

Re: Beavers now

Post by Danoutdoors » Fri Jan 17 2020 13:51

Mike J wrote:
Flipflopjoe wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
I seen it, it was really interesting. The park was basically on its knees as the deer population has boomed with no real natural predators left (or not enough), and they were destroying the place.
Enter the wolves, and I’m sure the changes were noticeable after only a couple years.


Exactly what is happening in the Scottish Highlands today where the red deep population said to number over 400,000 and is out of control in many areas with extensive damage to the habitat being caused by their browsing of young saplings.
The reintroduction of a pair of wolves would be a very useful trial, they coukd be tracked and monitored and remeoved if required.
The red deer of the highlands are also an introduced species whereas wolves had been present since the ice age.

Red deer were introduce in New Zealand, now there is a policy of total eradication, not only the red deer but all none native species. We should do something similar to the grey squirrel, we eleimanted the coypu using contractors, squirrels would just take a little longer.

Wouldn’t the wolves still opt for a easy meal of sheep or cow over the graft of chasing down a deer, I would think if there’s 400,000 and they are doing extensive damage they should be put in to the human food chain, think we are far too over populated to re introduce apex predators these days

User avatar
Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Stockton on Redacted

Re: Beavers now

Post by Bob Watson » Fri Jan 17 2020 18:09

Mike J wrote:
Flipflopjoe wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Maybe some of you should look at what environmentally changed when they re introduced wolves back into Yellowstone Park.
To save you looking it up it was a move that saved the park, improved the flora and fauna, stopped land erosion and much more.
Look it up as it's a fantastic success story
I seen it, it was really interesting. The park was basically on its knees as the deer population has boomed with no real natural predators left (or not enough), and they were destroying the place.
Enter the wolves, and I’m sure the changes were noticeable after only a couple years.


Exactly what is happening in the Scottish Highlands today where the red deep population said to number over 400,000 and is out of control in many areas with extensive damage to the habitat being caused by their browsing of young saplings.
The reintroduction of a pair of wolves would be a very useful trial, they coukd be tracked and monitored and remeoved if required.
The red deer of the highlands are also an introduced species whereas wolves had been present since the ice age.

Red deer were introduce in New Zealand, now there is a policy of total eradication, not only the red deer but all none native species. We should do something similar to the grey squirrel, we eleimanted the coypu using contractors, squirrels would just take a little longer.
I never knew we had Coypu in the past Mike, how recently?

EDIT:

Just googled it, declared extinct in the UK as recently as 1989 :shrug:

Post Reply