Chartplotter Mapping?

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Karlbird
Stickleback
Stickleback

Chartplotter Mapping?

Post by Karlbird » Tue Feb 11 2020 20:08

So I have just bought a Lowrance chartplotter as an upgrade to an old Garmin unit. It comes with US mapping and charts loaded (great to see the depths of the Great Lakes 🙈) - how do I go about getting mapping/charts for the UK, and when I do, do they cover uk reservoirs etc? Do you have to buy a card, can it be downloaded from anywhere? I see the phone app has some good mapping, and I know the unit will self map the sonar, but shorelines would be very useful.

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Re: Chartplotter Mapping?

Post by Ben » Tue Feb 11 2020 21:38

Navionics cards have unbreakable encryption, in fact if you even try and copy one it will self destruct so there is zero chance of getting a downloaded copy. It’s probably not completely unbreakable but the hackers have never bothered with it.

I’m leaning more towards using the Navionics boating app on my iPad because that has regular community updates and gives me more screen real estate.
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

Karlbird
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Karlbird » Tue Feb 11 2020 22:10

Ah that’s interesting - I wasn’t so much talking about pursuing software, but I am not surprised to know they have protected it well.

What I meant was more with the likes of c-map and community mapping you mention for the app, can this be downloaded to get on the plotters?

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Wed Feb 12 2020 09:01

If its brand new from a Lowrance dealer have you thought about asking if they would exchange the card for something more local?
If the dealer isnt helpful go direct to Lowrance in the US and explain it to them.

If your fishing inland waters you don't need a chart/map for your unit to be an extremely effective fishing tool if you pair it with a decent sounder.

Try this; set-up the unit outside, say in your car, extend all the receiver cable and move the receiver towards North to the fullest extent of the cable.
Set on Plot track, North Up then Zoom/expand the screen to its highest setting and drop an icon (MOB) move the receiver as far to the South as the cable allows and drop another icon. Note the distance between the two icons, that is your setting when you refinding a hot spot or position of a previous strike/capture.
With my Lowrance plotter I could consistantly refind a 1m square block of concrete in +30m on the sea bed

Full use of zoom in and out, laying a track, accurate plotting of locations and using various icons is all you require, pretty coloured pictures are to help salesmen sell to wafi's.

Karlbird
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Karlbird » Wed Feb 12 2020 22:45

There’s no card, it’s built in. I think I have a solution using C-map downloads.

Interesting ref the plotting, I’ll have a play

Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook » Sat Feb 15 2020 09:43

Karl,

Go to C-Map Genesis: https://www.genesismaps.com/Dashboard/Landing, you then need to create a free account and follow the instructions to add your plotter to your account.
If you then open the Social Map option, you will see a view like below:
D4BE1427-5A21-47FC-A0A0-6C46EB583134.png
Then scroll across to the UK and zoom in:
0AC0BB4E-E910-4ECA-AE88-F780CE6118DE.png
You can see numerous maps people have plotted, each droplet represents an area with data, scroll in further, for example Rutland Water:
ED4506C8-B8E1-4558-93AB-37CA21CFDA5C.png
If you click on the droplet, you get the option to download, you will need a micro SD card (max size 32Gb) and adapter plugged into your computer, create a folder called Rutland Water on the card, download the file to your PC, go to the downloads folder and unzip if a zipped file, then place all the unzipped files into the Rutland Water folder you created on your card. You can do this with multiple water bodies, making sure you create seperate folders on the card and place each set of files in the correct folder. Now when you put in your plotter and boot up, instead of just having the basic “Map Source” you will see the list of waters you have created folders for and can choose the appropriate one. You will need to scroll the map to find the water if you are not physically there at the time remember!

One common mistake people make is not choosing the plotter when downloading the maps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jackcity
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Jackcity » Sat Feb 15 2020 13:23

Ian Crook wrote:
Karl,

Go to C-Map Genesis: https://www.genesismaps.com/Dashboard/Landing, you then need to create a free account and follow the instructions to add your plotter to your account.
If you then open the Social Map option, you will see a view like below:

D4BE1427-5A21-47FC-A0A0-6C46EB583134.png

Then scroll across to the UK and zoom in:

0AC0BB4E-E910-4ECA-AE88-F780CE6118DE.png

You can see numerous maps people have plotted, each droplet represents an area with data, scroll in further, for example Rutland Water:

ED4506C8-B8E1-4558-93AB-37CA21CFDA5C.png

If you click on the droplet, you get the option to download, you will need a micro SD card (max size 32Gb) and adapter plugged into your computer, create a folder called Rutland Water on the card, download the file to your PC, go to the downloads folder and unzip if a zipped file, then place all the unzipped files into the Rutland Water folder you created on your card. You can do this with multiple water bodies, making sure you create seperate folders on the card and place each set of files in the correct folder. Now when you put in your plotter and boot up, instead of just having the basic “Map Source” you will see the list of waters you have created folders for and can choose the appropriate one. You will need to scroll the map to find the water if you are not physically there at the time remember!

One common mistake people make is not choosing the plotter when downloading the maps
Some good info Ian