Humminbird UK purchase or import from USA

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Cyprio
Perch
Perch

Humminbird UK purchase or import from USA

Post by Cyprio » Sat Feb 15 2020 00:10

Anyone wishing to spend money on modern electronics who might think importing a unit whilst on holiday is the way to do it should think again. It's a huge risk to spend a lot on a unit abroad to find a fault with it back home,
Whatever you save is worthless without a valid warranty or support.
A personal import is basically a throw away unit.

My experience below confirms what value for money you get for paying UK retail for high end units.
A bit of a read but something to think about.

I purchased a Solix 15 SI G1 from a Uk dealer. Cost was £3700.
30 months later and 6 months out of warranty my unit suffered a software glitch with the installed Base-map
After a software update.
I contacted Humminbird on their live chat link, after five mins was told the unit would need to be re imaged
Basically the software needed wiping and reinstalling. I then asked where to send it in the UK? After a few minutes
I was told politely to contact my supplying dealer who would be able to tell me what to do.

What I found out was surprising, there is no UK or European authorised repair agent..
Which ment my unit would need a trip to Eufaula Alabama USA.

AT THIS POINT You won't get this with an import:

I contacted my dealer Norfolk Marine. The man in the know is Marc Bayliss he knows all there is about this modern tech and also has a great relationship with the suppliers including Marathon Leisure the Uk importer for Humminbird and everything else...

As my software glitch was a first for Europe Marc was astonished to find out from Marathon there was no European fix.
Any units he had issues with had all been under warranty and most customers got a direct replacement.

At this point I had proof that a few in America had the same problem,
their units were returned fixed within 3 days.
With this evidence and a lot of Imput from Marc it was agreed that my unit would go from dealer to importer back to Alabama for re imaging. Knowing Humminbirds service cost for the Solix is $800 plus shipping off it went.

Just under three weeks my unit is back with the dealer.
I took a deep breath and asked Marc How much....
Well it cost me a case of beer! :cheers:

Humminbird covered the repair and Marathon Leisure picked up all the Shipping costs £400 worth.
Can't thank Marc enough for making this happen.
His input has kicked Marathon Leisure up the a**e to think about
U.K. Support for Humminbird in the near future.
Quick plug for Marc @ Norfolk Marine. He is the only one in the store you need to talk to about electronics he knows all about Humminbird Lowrance & Garmin.

Andy

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Humminbird UK purchase or import from USA

Post by suffolk si » Sat Feb 15 2020 00:16

Good company in general are Norfolk marine Andy👍 deal with them on pretty much a weekly basis,even though they are technically competition for the company I work for( I also deal with marathon leisure) I have to say marathon aren’t massively helpful with issues regarding humminbird or minn Kota in my experience and some of their staff don’t seem particularly knowledgable unfortunately

keith the piker
Roach
Roach

Post by keith the piker » Sat Feb 15 2020 09:41

My experience was that I was in the States and tried to buy a Humminbird 10SI from a Bass Pro shop at about a 30% reduction in cost compared to the UK.

Just as it was being put in a bag, the guy asked me where I was going to use it ... I said the UK, to which he said that the software is geo-specific and that the unit wouldn't even switch on outside of the dedicated geographical area the software recognised ...

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Sat Feb 15 2020 09:58

Cyprio wrote:
Anyone wishing to spend money on modern electronics who might think importing a unit whilst on holiday is the way to do it should think again. It's a huge risk to spend a lot on a unit abroad to find a fault with it back home,
Whatever you save is worthless without a valid warranty or support.
A personal import is basically a throw away unit.

My experience below confirms what value for money you get for paying UK retail for high end units.
A bit of a read but something to think about.

I purchased a Solix 15 SI G1 from a Uk dealer. Cost was £3700.
30 months later and 6 months out of warranty my unit suffered a software glitch with the installed Base-map
After a software update.
I contacted Humminbird on their live chat link, after five mins was told the unit would need to be re imaged
Basically the software needed wiping and reinstalling. I then asked where to send it in the UK? After a few minutes
I was told politely to contact my supplying dealer who would be able to tell me what to do.

What I found out was surprising, there is no UK or European authorised repair agent..
Which ment my unit would need a trip to Eufaula Alabama USA.

AT THIS POINT You won't get this with an import:

I contacted my dealer Norfolk Marine. The man in the know is Marc Bayliss he knows all there is about this modern tech and also has a great relationship with the suppliers including Marathon Leisure the Uk importer for Humminbird and everything else...

As my software glitch was a first for Europe Marc was astonished to find out from Marathon there was no European fix.
Any units he had issues with had all been under warranty and most customers got a direct replacement.

At this point I had proof that a few in America had the same problem,
their units were returned fixed within 3 days.
With this evidence and a lot of Imput from Marc it was agreed that my unit would go from dealer to importer back to Alabama for re imaging. Knowing Humminbirds service cost for the Solix is $800 plus shipping off it went.

Just under three weeks my unit is back with the dealer.
I took a deep breath and asked Marc How much....
Well it cost me a case of beer! :cheers:

Humminbird covered the repair and Marathon Leisure picked up all the Shipping costs £400 worth.
Can't thank Marc enough for making this happen.
His input has kicked Marathon Leisure up the a**e to think about
U.K. Support for Humminbird in the near future.
Quick plug for Marc @ Norfolk Marine. He is the only one in the store you need to talk to about electronics he knows all about Humminbird Lowrance & Garmin.

Andy
Cheers Andy, useful info :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."