Holding big Fish on a Boat

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Holding big Fish on a Boat

Post by Crackoff » Mon Mar 23 2020 01:34

I'v seen guys holding big fish. When I say big I mean upper 20s and low 30s

Some hold the fish by the Jaw and have the fish hanging down holding the tail root.

Some hold the fish by the Jaw and lay it across their forearms.

And some hold the fish by the Jaw and lie it on an unhooking mat. (Terrible trying to get a photo that way in a boat on your own)

Yes I know we all hold the fish by the Jaw to control it if it flips or thrashes.

For me I have a bad habit in the heat of the moment that is, (As 9 times out of 10 I'm on my own) holding the fish by the Jaw and letting it hang down and hold the tail root.

I'm old school and was taught Pike fishing by Ronny Pendleton (from the bank) and I think this stems from him shouting at me get the fish back in the water as soon as you can you tosser :rtfm: :afraid:

Yes I know that I could unhook it and put the net back in the water and let it rest in there while I get the sling and camera set up but I have seen a 18lb to 20lb tailwalk out of one of them big
hoop nets :cry:

So what I'm asking is how long out of the water do you think I can keep it if I have to ????? :scratch: :confused:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Re: Holding big Fish on a Boat

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Mar 23 2020 01:53

Crackoff wrote:

Some hold the fish by the Jaw and have the fish hanging down holding the tail root.

And some hold the fish by the Jaw and lie it on an unhooking mat. (Terrible trying to get a photo that way in a boat on your own)

Yes I know we all hold the fish by the Jaw to control it if it flips or thrashes.

For me I have a bad habit in the heat of the moment that is, (As 9 times out of 10 I'm on my own) holding the fish by the Jaw and letting it hang down and hold the tail root.

I'm old school and was taught Pike fishing by Ronny Pendleton (from the bank) and I think this stems from him shouting at me get the fish back in the water as soon as you can you tosser :rtfm: :afraid:

Yes I know that I could unhook it and put the net back in the water and let it rest in there while I get the sling and camera set up but I have seen a 18lb to 20lb tailwalk out of one of them big

So what I'm asking is how long out of the water do you think I can keep it if I have to ????? :scratch: :confused:

2 ways of avoiding a fish jumping out of the net....hang the net on a rodrest or something in a way that the mesh is enclosed around the fish and it doesnt have a large enough opening in the net to escape (if that makes sense), or, prop the net up slightly, with the fish still in the water, so it doesnt have enough depth in the net to gain enough momentum to jump, but obviously can still hold upright. I`d imagine with the fish you saw escape, the net frame was low to the surface of the water, and the whole mesh sunk so the fish had ample space to get enough power and speed to jump out?
2mins max has always been the time limit i`ve worked to for unhooking, weighing and photographing. If the time on the bank/in the boat is going to exceed that for any reason, eg an awkwardly hooked fish, the fish would go back in the net for a breather before photographing.

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Mon Mar 23 2020 08:36

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Crackoff wrote:

2 ways of avoiding a fish jumping out of the net....hang the net on a rodrest or something in a way that the mesh is enclosed around the fish and it doesnt have a large enough opening in the net to escape (if that makes sense), or, prop the net up slightly, with the fish still in the water, so it doesnt have enough depth in the net to gain enough momentum to jump, but obviously can still hold upright. I`d imagine with the fish you saw escape, the net frame was low to the surface of the water, and the whole mesh sunk so the fish had ample space to get enough power and speed to jump out?
2mins max has always been the time limit i`ve worked to for unhooking, weighing and photographing. If the time on the bank/in the boat is going to exceed that for any reason, eg an awkwardly hooked fish, the fish would go back in the net for a breather before photographing.
This one was easy as I had everything set up Mark
1BE682EA-8A4C-4C1F-8FE7-6E411B500455_1_105_c.jpeg
But this was a pig to get it
8886C9C0-2651-4650-95C3-8F69DD51D2CB_1_105_c.jpeg
71DF6EA0-A973-478F-A5A8-B4BEBEBDC93B_1_105_c.jpeg
Cheers Buddy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Mon Mar 23 2020 10:41

Why not ask yourself why a photograph so important to you, afterall YOU know you caught it and thats ALL that really matters, doesn't it?

Most photographs of fish are to show (boast) to others or for publication in search of fame (vanity).
Be happy with yourself and your success, forget the camera and to hell what others think of you.

Tin hat time me thinks.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Mon Mar 23 2020 10:45

Crackoff wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Crackoff wrote:

This one was easy as I had everything set up Mark
1BE682EA-8A4C-4C1F-8FE7-6E411B500455_1_105_c.jpeg

But this was a pig to get it
8886C9C0-2651-4650-95C3-8F69DD51D2CB_1_105_c.jpeg
71DF6EA0-A973-478F-A5A8-B4BEBEBDC93B_1_105_c.jpeg

Cheers Buddy

:roll: :suspect:
Come on granny, just own up. This thread was just an excuse for you to show you occasionally catch a fish. :grin: :laughs:

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Mon Mar 23 2020 10:50

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Danoutdoors
Perch
Perch

Post by Danoutdoors » Mon Mar 23 2020 11:13

Normally just take the shot of it on the mat me when out alone, I’d say as long as you’ve had no issues with fish getting damaged just keep doing what your doing, 👍 keep at em grant 👍

Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk » Mon Mar 23 2020 11:22

After catching a 20lb plus fish early October and just taking a quick photo on the mat which didn't really do it justice I bought a 48" fish measuring tape. This can be laid on the mat under or alongside the fish and the numbers are large enough to easily read.
I've failed to take any photos with it though as the rivers I fish have not been safe to go on most of the winter and when I have gone I've either not been alone or not caught anything significant to take a photo of.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

Sean Roberts
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Sean Roberts » Mon Mar 23 2020 13:14

Keep a fish out of the water for as long as you'd want your head kept under water.

keith the piker
Roach
Roach

Post by keith the piker » Mon Mar 23 2020 15:03

A 48 inch measuring tape? Are you only after small fish??

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Tue Mar 24 2020 05:48

Mike J wrote:
Why not ask yourself why a photograph so important to you, afterall YOU know you caught it and thats ALL that really matters, doesn't it?

Most photographs of fish are to show (boast) to others or for publication in search of fame (vanity).
Be happy with yourself and your success, forget the camera and to hell what others think of you.

Tin hat time me thinks.
Thanks for your replies guys I will take on bored what you have said. :thumbs:

Mike J
Watch your halo don't slip buddy :hug:

Grant Everson

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Tue Mar 24 2020 05:51

Esoxuk wrote:
After catching a 20lb plus fish early October and just taking a quick photo on the mat which didn't really do it justice I bought a 48" fish measuring tape. This can be laid on the mat under or alongside the fish and the numbers are large enough to easily read.
I've failed to take any photos with it though as the rivers I fish have not been safe to go on most of the winter and when I have gone I've either not been alone or not caught anything significant to take a photo of.
Aha thats a good :idea:
I have seen just the thing for that :wink:

Cheers
Grant Everson

cashybai
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by cashybai » Sat Mar 28 2020 19:30

I just lift them out of the sladle and do a horizontal picture over it tbh...
Fenland Iniative

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Sat Mar 28 2020 22:13

cashybai wrote:
I just lift them out of the sladle and do a horizontal picture over it tbh...
Getting rid of my sladle :wink:

Just got something better me thinks :thumbs:

Grant Everson