Name another rod

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
greencard1
Roach
Roach

Name another rod

Post by greencard1 » Mon Mar 23 2020 09:12

I bought a pair of rods from a pawn shop in about 1985. They were blanks that had been made up by somebody using far too many 3 leg rings, abbreviated cork handles and fuji sliding reel seats.
One was black and the other green, and the blanks were smooth with no wraps. They were so whippy that I could easily pull the tip round to touch the blank. They described an 'M' when placed on two rests. I was doing a lot of close-in piking at the time, and nothing dropped off at the net.
I have a feeling they may have been North Western rods, possibly SS somethings. What were they made of?
I took them to a charity shop a couple of years ago, and the lady said she did not really want them because they would not sell!

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Re: Name another rod

Post by Mike J » Mon Mar 23 2020 10:27

greencard1 wrote:
I bought a pair of rods from a pawn shop in about 1985. They were blanks that had been made up by somebody using far too many 3 leg rings, abbreviated cork handles and fuji sliding reel seats.
One was black and the other green, and the blanks were smooth with no wraps. They were so whippy that I could easily pull the tip round to touch the blank. They described an 'M' when placed on two rests. I was doing a lot of close-in piking at the time, and nothing dropped off at the net.
I have a feeling they may have been North Western rods, possibly SS somethings. What were they made of?
I took them to a charity shop a couple of years ago, and the lady said she did not really want them because they would not sell!

From your description my guess is they were made of spaghetti.
Dont say they weren't because spaghetti comes in all sorts of colours including black and green.

:hug:

:coat:

greencard1
Roach
Roach

Post by greencard1 » Mon Mar 23 2020 11:24

Ha ha. Not spaghetti, but they were not particularly heavy. Since I got rid of them I have wondered even more what they were. They caught me quite a few doubles.
I don't know anything about North Western, although I still use one of their landing nets (with a replacement handle because my mate trod on the original one and broke it).

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Mon Mar 23 2020 11:27

greencard1 wrote:
Ha ha. Not spaghetti, but they were not particularly heavy. Since I got rid of them I have wondered even more what they were. They caught me quite a few doubles.
I don't know anything about North Western, although I still use one of their landing nets (with a replacement handle because my mate trod on the original one and broke it).

Make a search in here for NW.
A while back I posted the whole list of their blanks and specs.

And my battery is running low :wink:

Oldskoolfool
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Oldskoolfool » Mon Mar 23 2020 13:45

Maybe the old NW SS5? Very soft and a struggle to case a sardine on! They were glass fibre in black. This was my first pike rod lovingly hand build with original Fuji glow in the dark rings and a sliding locking Fuji reel seat.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Mar 23 2020 13:58

Do sound like NW SS5 if eleven foot. Mine was neither black nor green but a sort of dirty brown colour.

greencard1
Roach
Roach

Post by greencard1 » Mon Mar 23 2020 15:05

Oldskoolfool wrote:
Maybe the old NW SS5? Very soft and a struggle to case a sardine on! They were glass fibre in black. This was my first pike rod lovingly hand build with original Fuji glow in the dark rings and a sliding locking Fuji reel seat.
Sounds spot on. You did not pawn them in the East Midlands did you?