final two rods

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
greencard1
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

final two rods

Post by greencard1 » Tue Mar 24 2020 09:32

I bought a rod from an auction house (pre- internet, happy days) in the mid 80s. There were three rods for sale, all new old stock. Two of them were Daiwas, but I can't remember which model. The one that came before them in the sale was a Bodex 11 foot 2 3/4 lb carbon rod. Because I did not want to go home empty handed, I bid on the Bodex, and won it for £30. The two Daiwas sold straight after for less, but I had spent my money!
On close inspection the Bodex was not very well made. One of the rings was way out of line with the others. I did not like it at all, and eventually cut it down to make a multiplier lure rod. This did not work too well because the action was in the middle of the top section, and not at the tip. However, it has proved to be indestructible. Has anyone heard of Bodex? Did I cut down rare rod? I have a feeling they may have been Scottish.

Finally, I went into a large Nottingham tackle shop, again in the mid 80s, to buy a 12 foot pike rod with 3 leg rings and a full cork handle. I came away with an 11 foot rod with single leg rings and abbreviated duplon handle. Dave the rod maker did a hard sell on me, and after the initial shock died down, I came to love this rod. It is as good for casting lures as it is for deadbaiting, and I have used it for decades now. I would like to know what the blank is. It is black, and has a thin spiral wrap round it. Someone suggested it might be an early Century; and that the wrap was there because the first Century rods broke, and the wrap was added because of this. Again, is this a rare rod?

Thanks for reading my posts. I give the impression that I am like unlucky Alf from the Fast Show. That is true as far as fishing goes; but I am lucky in other ways.
Cheers, John.

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Re: final two rods

Post by Mike J » Tue Mar 24 2020 11:36

I dont know the rods you have sorry.
You can shorten the handles on most rod without interfering with their actions, but trimming the top down should be untertaken with caution, best to tape on an old ring and check the action and move it about about until you have an action that suits you.

However I do know a little about the rods that are well worth buying because of their actions or their blanks.
Any rod built on the Diamura blanks is highly regarded and always fetches high prices, these include some early Normark rods eg; Titan, and the Enigma Jonathan Jones Sea Trout Special both of which fetch more now than they did new.
Anything by Harrisons or HART is usually good and can be rebuilt as required.
The early Wilson Avon Quiver is a brilliant blank, certainly as good as the Harrison Avon I owned.
Both Daiwa and B&W hexagonal blanks are very good with exceptional power in the lower end, those made for fly fishing can be adjusted/converted into quality coarse rods eg; a Spey rod will make a barbel or pike rod depending where you trim it.

As with everything it pays to shop around and get to know what your looking at.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Mar 24 2020 13:20

Anonymous rods can be very good and real bargains, depending on the quality of the blank.

What collectors place value on however, are top end names and providence. Rods are generally worth less than other angling collectibles due to the difficulty of storing and displaying them - especially cane. The market is therefore mainly from traditionalist users.

The big money in collectibles is to be found in rare 'small objects of desire' - stuff that fits easily on shelves or in display cases. :pipe:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

greencard1
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by greencard1 » Tue Mar 24 2020 13:35

Mike J wrote:
You can shorten the handles on most rod without interfering with their actions, but trimming the top down should be untertaken with caution, best to tape on an old ring and check the action and move it about about until you have an action that suits you.

However I do know a little about the rods that are well worth buying because of their actions or their blanks.
Any rod built on the Diamura blanks is highly regarded and always fetches high prices, these include some early Normark rods eg; Titan, and the Enigma Jonathan Jones Sea Trout Special both of which fetch more now than they did new.
The early Wilson Avon Quiver is a brilliant blank, certainly as good as the Harrison Avon I owned.
Both Daiwa and B&W hexagonal blanks are very good with exceptional power in the lower end, those made for fly fishing can be adjusted/converted into quality coarse rods eg; a Spey rod will make a barbel or pike rod depending where you trim it.

Forgive my ignorance, but are Harrison rods anything to do with Shaun Harrison?

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Tue Mar 24 2020 13:40

greencard1 wrote:
Mike J wrote:

Ah youve returned :laughs:

If anyone knows Dave will.

Me, Im as ignorant as you.

:cheers:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Mar 24 2020 13:41

greencard1 wrote:
Mike J wrote:

No.

Dr Steve Harrison, from Liverpool, is the man behind Harrison Advanced Rods. :thumbs:

greencard1
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by greencard1 » Tue Mar 24 2020 13:53

Ok, thanks. I was way off.