Telescopic rod?

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Telescopic rod?

Post by Chris Hammond » Sat May 23 2020 19:20

I'm looking for some decent quality telescopic rods. I want a pair of at least 2lb tc but no bigger than say 3lb TC. Ideally around 10/11ft.

And also a single rod of somewhere around 3/4 - 1lb tc ideally around 11ft.

Anyone got any reccomendations?

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Re: Telescopic rod?

Post by Mike J » Sun May 24 2020 10:27

Chris Hammond wrote:
I'm looking for some decent quality telescopic rods. I want a pair of at least 2lb tc but no bigger than say 3lb TC. Ideally around 10/11ft.

Whats your idea Chris?
To save time on setting up or something for the holidays?
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Sun May 24 2020 10:52

Chris Hammond wrote:

How short when folded? I was impressed with the Nash Scopes that a mate has, but the 9/10 ft models dont fold down that short.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun May 24 2020 11:28

Chris Hammond wrote:

The top-end Decathlon telescopic carbon rods are excellent Chris. All but the very large stores usually just carry the cheapo glass ones, but the website may be worth a look. Finding the heavier rods shouldn't be difficult as spinning rods come into that range.

The lighter one in 11 ft might be a tougher to find. A multisection 'travel rod' might be a better option there?

I have a range of telescopics and travel rods, covering everything from shark to gudgeon! Decathlon (Caperlan), Abu Garcia, Shimano, Daiwa, BlackRock (Geotrex) and Fladen are all worth looking at.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 12:27

Mike J wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:

Whats your idea Chris?
Just portability Mike. I like to walk and cycle quite loing distances to get to my fishing.

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 12:29

Duncan Holmes wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:

How short when folded? I was impressed with the Nash Scopes that a mate has, but the 9/10 ft models dont fold down that short.
As short as possible Duncan. Yes some models are too long to the point where you might as well not compromise.

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 12:30

John Milford wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:

The top-end Decathlon telescopic carbon rods are excellent Chris. All but the very large stores usually just carry the cheapo glass ones, but the website may be worth a look. Finding the heavier rods shouldn't be difficult as spinning rods come into that range.

The lighter one in 11 ft might be a tougher to find. A multisection 'travel rod' might be a better option there?

I have a range of telescopics and travel rods, covering everything from shark to gudgeon! Decathlon (Caperlan), Abu Garcia, Shimano, Daiwa, BlackRock (Geotrex) and Fladen are all worth looking at.
Thanks John. The decathalons sound perfect and I'm a big fan of Daiwa rods generally so will do some searching.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun May 24 2020 12:47

The Shimano telescopics I've seen were nice. Not sure what's available or price ranges though.

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 15:21

davelumb wrote:
The Shimano telescopics I've seen were nice. Not sure what's available or price ranges though.
Thanks Dave I'll take a look.

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 15:52

I remember the Shimano range now. They look a decent around £80 but the length when collapsed is what put me off before. The 3m version is about 800mm. I was hoping to find something around 600mm. I might be asking too much though.

Cant find any Decathalons on Ebay. I'm not familiar with any of the big online suppliers. The only one that comes to mind is Tackle Direct but I seem to remember reading that they were going t*ts up?

bencarvosso
Perch
Perch

Post by bencarvosso » Sun May 24 2020 15:58

Decathlon is the shop. Think caperlan is the brand they have
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com

pikin
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by pikin » Sun May 24 2020 16:22

I have 2 Telescopic Trekkers labelled as Rod Hutchinson from over 20 years ago. A 2.5lb and a 3lb in 12ft. Fox make something similar at present. Excellent rods fit in the boot nicely.

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 16:28

bencarvosso wrote:
Decathlon is the shop. Think caperlan is the brand they have
Yes had a look but like the Shiimanos the collapsed length is too long.

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Sun May 24 2020 16:28

These are out of stock Chris but the transport length on some of them is quite short

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shimano ... e-spinning

might be worth keeping an eye out for!
I don't have a nickname :roll:

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 16:29

pikin wrote:
I have 2 Telescopic Trekkers labelled as Rod Hutchinson from over 20 years ago. A 2.5lb and a 3lb in 12ft. Fox make something similar at present. Excellent rods fit in the boot nicely.
How small do they collapse to mate please?

...and do you want to sell them? :smile:

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 16:32

Just ordered a Fladen for peanuts. I would have liked something around 10ft but at that length the butt is over an inch in diameter. Collapsed length -which is key- is perfect at 680mm. At the price I can afford to chuck it in the waste of time cupboard along with the Shakespeare ones I bought under the same premise.

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Sun May 24 2020 16:32

Dodgy feedback but apparently in stock!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Shimano- ... OSwd1JeVom~

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 16:33

Chris Hammond wrote:
Just ordered a Fladen for peanuts. I would have liked something around 10ft but at that length the butt is over an inch in diameter. I opted for one just shy of 9ft. Collapsed length -which is key- is perfect at 680mm. At the price I can afford to chuck it in the waste of time cupboard along with the Shakespeare ones I bought under the same premise.

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 16:38

Bob Watson wrote:
Dodgy feedback but apparently in stock!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Shimano- ... OSwd1JeVom~
Looks pukka Bob but it's only rated to 30g and is a tad short. I want them for piking. I'm not that great with rod ratings but if 30g is the casting weight half a herring would overload it?

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Sun May 24 2020 16:43

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 17:07

Bob Watson wrote:
Just ordered one cheers Bob. Same as the Fladen, at that price I can lob it in the loft if it's too sh1te.

I've actually just had a look at the Shakespeare ones I bought a few years back and then chucked in the cupboard and I think they'll do a job for bait rods. :thumbs:

Can you see what the one in your link is rated and what the diameter of the butt is? I cant find those details.

pikin
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by pikin » Sun May 24 2020 17:12

Chris Hammond wrote:
pikin wrote:

1.1M when collapsed. Full Fuji eyes all through and reel seat.
Last edited by pikin on Sun May 24 2020 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 17:25

pikin wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
pikin wrote:

1.1M when collapsed. Full Fuji eyes all through and real seat.
Yes that's what I expected tbh. All the really good quality ones are too long when collapsed. Cheers fella.

royboy
Perch
Perch

Post by royboy » Sun May 24 2020 18:10

Zebco gear has been rated on mainland Europe for a long time now ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5MT-ZEBCO- ... XQobdQ7YcW

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 18:14

royboy wrote:
Zebco gear has been rated on mainland Europe for a long time now ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5MT-ZEBCO- ... XQobdQ7YcW
Thanks Roy but that's still too big when collapsed for my needs.

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Sun May 24 2020 18:37

Chris Hammond wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:
Just ordered one cheers Bob. Same as the Fladen, at that price I can lob it in the loft if it's too sh1te.

I've actually just had a look at the Shakespeare ones I bought a few years back and then chucked in the cupboard and I think they'll do a job for bait rods. :thumbs:

Can you see what the one in your link is rated and what the diameter of the butt is? I cant find those details.
I can't see the ratings Chris but hazarding a guess at the venues you'll be heading to I'd trust it to chuck medium sized baits no problem and "lob" bigger baits reasonable distances. I have the dynamic 4 piece, 9ft travel rod and I couldn't believe the quality for so little money. I put a reel on it and pulled hard waiting for it to explode, thought nothing's going to pull that hard and it is now my motorbike rod for my annual Scotland tour.

Let me know what the "tele" is like when you get it!

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Sun May 24 2020 18:43

Bob Watson wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:

I can't see the ratings Chris but hazarding a guess at the venues you'll be heading to I'd trust it to chuck medium sized baits no problem and "lob" bigger baits reasonable distances. I have the dynamic 4 piece, 9ft travel rod and I couldn't believe the quality for so little money. I put a reel on it and pulled hard waiting for it to explode, thought nothing's going to pull that hard and it is now my motorbike rod for my annual Scotland tour.

Let me know what the "tele" is like when you get it!
Will do mate. :thumbs:

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Mon May 25 2020 06:59

Chris Hammond wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:

Whats your idea Chris?
Just portability Mike. I like to walk and cycle quite loing distances to get to my fishing.

Tele rods are very popular in Southern Europe, the shops stock many lengths and weights, some the the best are easily equal to sectioned rods.
The Euro boat champ used a tele to win his titles, his first rod which I handled, was an Italian brand and even in 2000 cost over €600.
I have also seen sea bream to 1.5kg lifted up vertical cliffs by Portuguese rock anglers using long tele rods which testifies to their reliance.

I wouldn't jump to quickly, seach the euro shops and forums, they are the real experts in the rods you seek.

One rod that I know has landed many 20+ pike is now out of production and hard to find, Im after one so wont post the details here, but if your interested PM me, but its only a 9.5' 40gm spinner.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Iain Gillies
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Iain Gillies » Mon May 25 2020 07:37

I have one of the NGT Pioneers I got as a travel rod to throw in a suitcase as they were a tenner in GoOutdoors. It is a bit heavy and floppy and the butt diameter is also very wide with the cork on it. It is OK for chucking spinners and a set of feathers or a sea float or light bait rigs with 2-3oz of lead. I wouldn't really want to use it for any serious carp or pike fishing though as I'm not too sure it would stand up to much abuse. I also got the Namazu telescopic rod but it is more of a toy for my little lad to use. The line and reel are garbage (both replaced with a 1000 sized shimano hyperloop and 6lbs daiwa sensor) but it has caught some mini species in the harbours and some coarse fish including carp up to 3 or 4lbs from a local commercial. For a 4 piece travel rod the NGT intrepid is actually decent and I have used them for stalking carp, small water carp, chucking lures in the sea and for pike and even boat fishing and trolling for pike on occasion. For £25 or so that's where my money would go as some people reckon it's the same rod as the ET sneaker.

Iain Gillies
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Iain Gillies » Mon May 25 2020 07:40

On the lighter rod front years ago Shakespeare made a Mach 1 match rod which was 6 or 7 pieces. It was a fairly good rod for about £25 and fitted into a rucksack for snatching livebaits.