hook eyes x 2

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
greencard1
Roach
Roach

hook eyes x 2

Post by greencard1 » Tue Jun 30 2020 14:18

Following on from a previous post about hook eyes; I would like some large singles (size 2) with an eye on the outside of the bend.
I am surprised that such hooks do not exist for carp fishing; but I can't find any anywhere. I know it is possible to make hooks like this because the old ryder trebles used to have an eye on the shank.
Like Gus, I would also like some singles in sensible sizes with welded eyes, not for strength, but for non-chafing twisted traces.

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Re: hook eyes x 2

Post by Mike J » Wed Jul 01 2020 09:23

greencard1 wrote:
Following on from a previous post about hook eyes; I would like some large singles (size 2) with an eye on the outside of the bend.
I am surprised that such hooks do not exist for carp fishing; but I can't find any anywhere. I know it is possible to make hooks like this because the old ryder trebles used to have an eye on the shank.
Like Gus, I would also like some singles in sensible sizes with welded eyes, not for strength, but for non-chafing twisted traces.

Hooks - second eye; manufactured never, anywhere. Have seen hooks with four points but still called trebles though.
Probably the simplest method would be make your own by whipping on an eye off an old hook, you could make one in less time it takes to log on here.

Twisted traces?
Are you twisting them from mono to achieve a stiffer hooklength? If so, what method are you using?

:scratch:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 01 2020 09:43

greencard1 wrote:
I have used a single with an eye attached to the end of the shank where the bend started. Marketed as for making wobbling traces if I remember correctly.

I remember the eye snapping off one I made a trace with - luckily after I had landed the fish.

There was another design in which the eye above the bend was formed from the same piece of wire as the main hook. One of these designs was marketed by Marvic.

greencard1
Roach
Roach

Post by greencard1 » Wed Jul 01 2020 13:06

I would love some of the wobbling hooks you describe Dave.
I twist my pike traces Mike because I don't trust crimps.

I like to use a big single to put into the tail root of a deadbait, and a treble below it into the flank. At the moment I attach the treble wire to the bend of the single. If I had hooks with an eye at the start of the bend, I could twist the treble trace through this eye, instead of the bend of the hook. ( I put a picture of what I would like on the PAC site a while ago.) I find it hard to believe that such hooks do not exist for carp anglers hair rigs.
If I could get singles with welded top eyes, i could make adjustable traces by putting the trace wire through the singles eye and wrapping the wire round the shank and then down to the treble.With un-welded eyes, there is always the chance that the trace wire chafes in the open gap of the eye of the single, and could break.

I like to use a single hook to treble hook trace because I find that two treble traces result in dropped runs, presumably when the pike feels the tail treble on picking up the bait. Remember, I am fishing very hard waters for a few small pike.

I wish I knew how to put pictures on here, because a picture is better that hundreds of words, but I don't. And you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Last edited by greencard1 on Wed Jul 01 2020 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

greencard1
Roach
Roach

Post by greencard1 » Wed Jul 01 2020 13:55

I am sure the top treble on the old Jardine snap tackles had an eye on the shank Mike.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 01 2020 15:31

greencard1 wrote:
I would love some of the wobbling hooks you describe Dave.
They weren't available for long. Someone might have some stashed away.

I also have a vague memory of a VB double with an eye on the shank. But that might be a dream!

Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... » Wed Jul 01 2020 21:19

Have you tried using a knotless knot for the single?

I use a single and treble combo too, but I’m a crimper. I did however, knotless knot the single for a while and never had an issue. I’ve improved on it now though so that I can change the single if it blunts
Actually know as Danny..

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Thu Jul 02 2020 08:46

Hi greenie,
Like you I twist all my traces and I regularly employ an adjustable top hook on a single trace but without the need to cut the wire,

To stop a twisted trace catching in the hook eye;
This can be achieved by doubling the wire through the eye and forming a v tight wrap, also with the addition a small piece of clear glued filled shrink tube.
Its not as simple as it sounds as twisted trace wire must be wrapped so that the wrap tightens the twists in the wire, the opposite will unwind them.

To produce an adjustable top hook;
Fit a length of shrink tube onto the hook and wrap the trace wire around it five times. Under load the shrink tube grips the wire and stops it from slipping.

Below, my rigs with an adjustable single top hook on a single trace. White and black shrink used (I was running out).
IMG_2068.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

greencard1
Roach
Roach

Post by greencard1 » Thu Jul 02 2020 09:01

Nice one Mike.
I still think there are more options with welded eye singles. Some singles have eyes covered with resin; but I don't know how strong the resin is.
A welded eye single would allow safe twisting of the piece of the trace down to the treble to the eye of the single, coiling it round the singles shank on the way down.

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Thu Jul 02 2020 09:01

greencard1 wrote:
I am sure the top treble on the old Jardine snap tackles had an eye on the shank Mike.

Yes they did, I still have some but showing a pic would be proof of age.

I have managed to teach a few old dogs new tricks, the ones I couldnt went 'up the meadow......'

:coat:

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Thu Jul 02 2020 09:10

greencard1 wrote:
Nice one Mike.
I still think there are more options with welded eye singles. Some singles have eyes covered with resin; but I don't know how strong the resin is.
A welded eye single would allow safe twisting of the piece of the trace down to the treble to the eye of the single, coiling it round the singles shank on the way down.

The vast majority of todays hooks are made in China and you can bet the resin you see is a cheapo varnish and soft as sh1t and if you havnt tested it yet you should
FYI; 5 turns of 45lb Masons has never cut deep into the shrink tube (up to mid 20's).

Don't look for solutions until you know what it is you want to achieve :madmick: