Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
OLDESOX
Chub
Chub

Re: Worthless Old Tat!

Post by OLDESOX » Thu Jul 23 2020 15:32

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I wonder if aluminium floats came after aluminium disgorgers?
Allcocks apparently first listed aluminium barrel disgorgers in the 1930s, so yes, they pre-dated the floats. Hollow tin floats (French) predated both though.

Do you remember the D.I.Y. pike sliders Dave - made out of aluminium cigar tubes? I vaguely recall an old Pikelines article about making them, years ago.
better start making some!! a mate of mine smokes the contents :laughs: :laughs: :pipe: :pipe:
retired so time to smell the roses.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Jul 24 2020 11:34

If I saw a slightly better one of these (Milward's 'Gyrex') I'd buy it.

Not particularly pricey, as vintage reels go, but there's a fabulous 'art deco' look about them. :cool:

Screenshot_20200724-111847.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jul 24 2020 11:40

John Milford wrote:

Not particularly pricey, as vintage reels go, but there's a fabulous 'art deco' look about them. :cool:

What's it made from? Bakelite?

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Jul 24 2020 12:00

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

What's it made from? Bakelite?
:thumbs:

I'm tempted by this one - it's been relisted several times for a fiver on eBay.

It looks pretty tatty, but it's difficult to tell from the photo whether the numerous marks on it are blemishes into the surface of the Bakelite, or are just something adhering to it that could be cleaned off or polished out?

Dealer prices for a really good one are about £70. 🤔

How many unfinished little restoration projects do I need? :scratch: :laughs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jul 24 2020 12:06

If it's cheap enough, why not?

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Jul 24 2020 15:27

davelumb wrote:
I'll find a better one - things usually seem to find me, not long after I've started to think about them.

I am gifted (or cursed?) with spooky 'tat magnet' powers! :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jul 24 2020 15:32

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I'll find a better one - things usually seem to find me, not long after I've started to think about them.

I am gifted (or cursed?) with spooky 'tat magnet' powers! :laughs:
Good luck. :thumbs:

Bob Barker
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bob Barker » Sun Jul 26 2020 20:24

John, saw this and thought of this thread. :smile:
Its got to be the most useless bit of "serious" kit I've seen, but the seller seems to think it has some worth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333666355665 ... 3666355665
s-l1600.jpg
s-l64b.jpg
s-l64a.jpg
I still can not quite figure out how or what its meant to do. :dizzy: :laughs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Mon Jul 27 2020 16:56

Bob Barker wrote:
John, saw this and thought of this thread. :smile:
Its got to be the most useless bit of "serious" kit I've seen, but the seller seems to think it has some worth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333666355665 ... 3666355665

s-l1600.jpg

s-l64b.jpg

s-l64a.jpg

I still can not quite figure out how or what its meant to do. :dizzy: :laughs:
I was looking at that on eBay yesterday Bob! :thumbs: (not to buy it though!).

I think it must be called the 'Wardlow Wonder' because afterwards, you'd 'wonder' why you'd ruined a perfectly good ledger rod by whipping that mad contraption onto it!

One if the many weird gadgets of the period that probably lost their inventors a fortune!

10/10 for Mr Wardlow's frankness in the instructions, but he's not really selling it to me with this comment . . . . . . :laughs:

Screenshot_20200727-164434.png

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jul 28 2020 00:03

From the days when all leads were lead.

Drilled bullets, Coffins, barrel, Jardine Spiral, Wye and Arlesey bombs.

A lot of old books mention 'capta' pyramid leads, but I've never found one, or know anyone who ever owned or used them! :shrug:

IMG_20200727_152428.jpg
Last edited by John Milford on Tue Jul 28 2020 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jul 28 2020 07:38

John Milford wrote:

Drilled bullets, Coffins, barrel, Jardine Spiral, Wye and Arlesly bombs.

A lot of old books mention 'capta' pyramid leads, but I've never found one, or know anyone who ever owned or used them! :shrug:

IMG_20200727_152428.jpg
I remember being given assortments of leads like that when I was a kid. Never a Capta lead though. But didn't someone mention them on here recently?

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Tue Jul 28 2020 08:27

John Milford wrote:

Drilled bullets, Coffins, barrel, Jardine Spiral, Wye and Arlesly bombs.

IMG_20200727_152428.jpg

I remember the Capta in the shops and AT, cannot remember using one but will check and see what Ive got in handmedown boxes.

In my early teens I made one of my best bags of roach using a coffin lead, float ledgering wheat, at the time Jardine spirals were standard when livebaiting under a bung.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jul 28 2020 09:27

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20200727_152428.jpg
I remember being given assortments of leads like that when I was a kid. Never a Capta lead though. But didn't someone mention them on here recently?
:thumbs: It was the answer to one of the questions in Hammy's Quiz! :grin:

I came across an incomplete set of them (one missing) in their own special little perspex case a while back on eBay. I put in a modest bid, but didn't win them. :sad:

PS: Like these:

Screenshot_20200728-093839.png

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jul 28 2020 09:53

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20200727_152428.jpg

I came across an incomplete set of them (one missing) in their own special little perspex case a while back on eBay. I put in a modest bid, but didn't win them. :sad:

That's fancy.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jul 28 2020 10:00

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20200727_152428.jpg

That's fancy.
Fancy price too! (A dealer is asking £26 for them! :eek: ).

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jul 28 2020 10:06

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20200727_152428.jpg

That's fancy.
Fancy price too! (A dealer is asking £26 for them! :eek: ).
:afraid:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Jul 29 2020 16:16

I don't think I've ever used this, other than for storing stuff in (but I like it!). The old cream canvas strap and other leather straps are nice authentic features.

Picked up at a car boot for a couple of quid, years ago.

IMG_20200729_160143.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 29 2020 16:19

Did you not have a wicker basket John? I've still got mine, hanging up in the garage.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Jul 29 2020 16:44

davelumb wrote:
Did you not have a wicker basket John? I've still got mine, hanging up in the garage.
Never owned one in my youth Dave. :sad:

My first 'tackle bag' was an old WW2 army surplus gas mask case. All my 'fishing togs' were military surplus gear too. (Used to get some odd looks, sitting on the bank dressed as a Japanese Admiral! :clown: ).

Later, my dad knocked up 'seat boxes' for us out of old furniture boards. Looked quite nice, but weighed a ton and were less comfortable than sitting on the ground!

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 29 2020 17:18

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

My first 'tackle bag' was an old WW2 army surplus gas mask case. All my 'fishing togs' were military surplus gear too. (Used to get some odd looks, sitting on the bank dressed as a Japanese Admiral! :clown: ).

Later, my dad knocked up 'seat boxes' for us out of old furniture boards. Looked quite nice, but weighed a ton and were less comfortable than sitting on the ground!
My first 'tackle box' was a wooden tea box (not a tea chest) about a foot long by ten inches high and wide with a slid in hardboard lid which I added myself. The seat was a folding wooden stool. neither the stool nor the wicker basket were comfortable for sitting on!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Jul 29 2020 18:04

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

My first 'tackle box' was a wooden tea box (not a tea chest) about a foot long by ten inches high and wide with a slid in hardboard lid which I added myself. The seat was a folding wooden stool. neither the stool nor the wicker basket were comfortable for sitting on!
Wooden tea box y'say? Luxury! My first 'tackle box' werra soggy paper bag . . . . . :clown:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 29 2020 19:49

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Wooden tea box y'say? Luxury! My first 'tackle box' werra soggy paper bag . . . . . :clown:
:giggle:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sat Aug 01 2020 11:40

This old bifold trade card underlines exactly what I said at the start of this thread, about stuff not needing to be valuable to be extremely interesting and well worth preserving carefully.

John Lucas (greencard) very kindly sent this to me a while ago - although it's a blue card, not a green card! :coat:

It must be 100 years old, as none of the fishing lines listed are synthetic and lines manufactured from man-made fibres displaced organic lines virtually immediately, once they were developed in the 1930s. I suppose there may have been a few diehard traditionalists who clung to using silk and flax lines for a few years, but the new lines were so superior in practical terms not many anglers would have done so.

IMG_20200731_174125.jpg
Last edited by John Milford on Sat Aug 01 2020 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Aug 01 2020 11:44

John Milford wrote:
This old bifold trade card underlines exactly what I said at the start of this thread, about stuff not needing to be valuable to be extremely interesting and well worth preserving carefully.

John Lucas (greencard) very kindly sent this to me a while ago - although it's a blue card, not a green card! :coat:

I must be 100 years old, as none of the fishing lines listed are synthetic and lines manufactured from man-made fibres displaced organic lines virtually immediately, once they were developed in the 1930s. I suppose there may have been a few diehard traditionalists who clung to using silk and flax lines for a few years, but the new lines were so superior in practical terms not many anglers would have done so.

IMG_20200731_174125.jpg
:cool:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sat Aug 01 2020 14:30

A word to the wise about some of the worthless old tat on eBay sometimes passed off unwittingly (or wittingly :pirate: ) as 'rare' vintage tackle. :pipe:

Genuine block leather 'D' shaped reel cases are highly sought after by reel collectors - especially the ones made by Hardy and Farlows. They are themselves as expensive as the reels they were made for - and sometimes even more expensive!

However, a lot of the old leather ware you'll see being described as 'reel cases' are in fact old circular collar boxes (from when shirts had detachable collars) or oval brush boxes. Now, some of these may well have been 'repurposed' by thrifty anglers to actually store their reels, but that does not make them the genuine article.

Here's a tatty old collar box being offered currently. It's worth a couple of quid tops, but someone could possibly be duped into paying top dollar for it! :shrug:

Screenshot_20200801-130453.png

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Aug 01 2020 16:07

Caveat emptor.

greencard1
Roach
Roach

Post by greencard1 » Sat Aug 01 2020 16:27

John Milford wrote:

It must be 100 years old, as none of the fishing lines listed are synthetic and lines manufactured from man-made fibres displaced organic lines virtually immediately, once they were developed in the 1930s. I suppose there may have been a few diehard traditionalists who clung to using silk and flax lines for a few years, but the new lines were so superior in practical terms not many anglers would have done so.

IMG_20200731_174125.jpg
There is still a 'Mr Coates' with a shop at Dunkirk at Nottingham, although he had been talking about retiring before the pandemic took hold.
He is a great character and I believe was still recently making braided line on his ancient machines for the American market.
He also used to make drogues for Bob Church. Not an angler himself, his main interest is sailing.
They don't make em like him anymore.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Aug 01 2020 16:30

greencard1 wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20200731_174125.jpg
There is still a 'Mr Coates' with a shop at Dunkirk at Nottingham, although he had been talking about retiring before the pandemic took hold.
He is a great character and I believe was still recently making braided line on his ancient machines for the American market.
He also used to make drogues for Bob Church. Not an angler himself, his main interest is sailing.
They don't make em like him anymore.
People like that should be interviewed and recorded for posterity. :camera:

Didn't Coates also make sewing threads?

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sat Aug 01 2020 17:18

Braiding machines are fascinating (and noisy) things.

We had a braiding shop in the Charlton factory of the cable company I worked for - back in the days when they still manufactured those old fashioned rayon braided flexible cords.

Despite the deafening noise, the women (always women) who operated the machines would talk to each other at normal conversational volume - they acquired an ability to 'tune out' the constant background racket.

(If they're still alive, they're probably all stone deaf now - it can't have been a good place to work, given the rudimentary 'elf & pastry' measures in those days).

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Aug 01 2020 17:26

John Milford wrote:
Braiding machines are fascinating (and noisy) things.

We had a braiding shop in the Charlton factory of the cable company I worked for - back in the days when they still manufactured those old fashioned rayon braided flexible cords.

Despite the deafening noise, the women (always women) who operated the machines would talk to each other at normal conversational volume - they acquired an ability to 'tune out' the constant background racket.

(If they're still alive, they're probably all stone deaf now - it can't have been a good place to work, given the rudimentary 'elf & pastry' measures in those days).
So they didn't do the mill workers' lip reading thing like Cissie and Ada? :grin: