Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
John Milford
Zander
Zander

Re: Worthless Old Tat!

Post by John Milford » Sat Aug 01 2020 17:41

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Braiding machines are fascinating (and noisy) things.

We had a braiding shop in the Charlton factory of the cable company I worked for - back in the days when they still manufactured those old fashioned rayon braided flexible cords.

Despite the deafening noise, the women (always women) who operated the machines would talk to each other at normal conversational volume - they acquired an ability to 'tune out' the constant background racket.

(If they're still alive, they're probably all stone deaf now - it can't have been a good place to work, given the rudimentary 'elf & pastry' measures in those days).
So they didn't do the mill workers' lip reading thing like Cissie and Ada? :grin:
:laughs: Those two would have been typical of our 'braiding ladies'. They were fearsome women who would terrorise any young lads who were sent into their shop. I think it was only my suit that saved me. If I'd been wearing overalls, they'd probably have been danging from the rafters before I made it to the exit! :eek:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Aug 01 2020 17:43

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Braiding machines are fascinating (and noisy) things.

We had a braiding shop in the Charlton factory of the cable company I worked for - back in the days when they still manufactured those old fashioned rayon braided flexible cords.

Despite the deafening noise, the women (always women) who operated the machines would talk to each other at normal conversational volume - they acquired an ability to 'tune out' the constant background racket.

(If they're still alive, they're probably all stone deaf now - it can't have been a good place to work, given the rudimentary 'elf & pastry' measures in those days).
So they didn't do the mill workers' lip reading thing like Cissie and Ada? :grin:
:laughs: Those two would have been typical of our 'braiding ladies'. They were fearsome women who would terrorise any young lads who were sent into their shop. I think it was only my suit that saved me. If I'd been wearing overalls, they'd probably have been danging from the rafters before I made it to the exit! :eek:
Those were the days! :laughs:

Bob Barker
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bob Barker » Sat Aug 01 2020 19:36

Found this when looking for something else in my 'forgotten but not gone' cupboard the other day, it is the genuine article and old, but is it worthless tat?
IMAG1173~2a.jpg
IMAG1172~2a.jpg
I wonder if those 'prong' type trebles turned doubles had a proper name and are they still available somewhere. :scratch: :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.

greencard1
Roach
Roach

Post by greencard1 » Sat Aug 01 2020 20:29

davelumb wrote:
greencard1 wrote:
John Milford wrote:
This old bifold trade card underlines exactly what I said at the start of this thread, about stuff not needing to be valuable to be extremely interesting and well worth preserving carefully.

John Lucas (greencard) very kindly sent this to me a while ago - although it's a blue card, not a green card! :coat:

It must be 100 years old, as none of the fishing lines listed are synthetic and lines manufactured from man-made fibres displaced organic lines virtually immediately, once they were developed in the 1930s. I suppose there may have been a few diehard traditionalists who clung to using silk and flax lines for a few years, but the new lines were so superior in practical terms not many anglers would have done so.

IMG_20200731_174125.jpg
There is still a 'Mr Coates' with a shop at Dunkirk at Nottingham, although he had been talking about retiring before the pandemic took hold.
He is a great character and I believe was still recently making braided line on his ancient machines for the American market.
He also used to make drogues for Bob Church. Not an angler himself, his main interest is sailing.
They don't make em like him anymore.
People like that should be interviewed and recorded for posterity. :camera:

Didn't Coates also make sewing threads?
I am not sure if there is a connection between Mr Coates and Coates threads. Mr Coates' ancestors made rope, and his grandad was known as 'the man who knows the ropes'. Their rope works used to take up much of what is now the Queens Medical Centre.
There is a bit of an interview with him on the internet, but he is not really being himself (a bit bemused by the technology I think).
You have to talk to him face to face to get his best stories. See '200 years of making rope in Nottingham with Stewart Coates.' online.
Last edited by greencard1 on Sat Aug 01 2020 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Aug 01 2020 20:34

Should have Googled it. The thread company is Coats. No 'e'. :red:

https://www.coats.com/

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sat Aug 01 2020 21:11

Bob Barker wrote:
Found this when looking for something else in my 'forgotten but not gone' cupboard the other day, it is the genuine article and old, but is it worthless tat?

IMAG1173~2a.jpg

IMAG1172~2a.jpg

I wonder if those 'prong' type trebles turned doubles had a proper name and are they still available somewhere. :scratch: :smile:
It's an 'Archer' bait mount Bob, which takes its name from the Archer trade mark of the original maker Wm. Bartleet & Sons. They merged with Henry Milward as 'Milward Bartleet and later just Milward - but kept their 'Archer' trade mark name throughout.

Some of the early ones are stamped 'Bartleet' on the central bait spike. Many thousands were made, so they're not very rare - although the very earliest Bartleet stamped ones are quite difficult to find, still mounted on their original cards.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun Aug 02 2020 11:59

davelumb wrote:
Caveat emptor.
615iK2ZieGL._AC_UL1500_-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun Aug 02 2020 12:04

When you thought you were now too 'specy' to be seen using 'Sqezy' bottle tops . . . . . :laughs:

IMG_20200802_114612.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Aug 02 2020 12:22

John Milford wrote:
When you thought you were now too 'specy' to be seen using 'Sqezy' bottle tops . . . . . :laughs:

IMG_20200802_114612.jpg
Also available in orange IIRC

Derek Ainscough
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Derek Ainscough » Tue Aug 04 2020 19:53

Seeing that archer mount reminded me I have some of those somewhere in a “forgotten not gone” box but I cannot find the box. Heh-ho, back into the loft.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Yesterday 13:31

I've managed to add a couple of 'Capta' leads to my glorious collection of interminable tat! :grin: They cost me about the same as new leads.

The biggest one is a substantial 2 1/2 oz.

The 'wine gum' shaped lead that came with them was a bonus - and a puzzle! It can be clipped onto the line (or taken off) without breaking down the tackle, which I'm sure is what the patent stamped on it is for.

I've seen one before, in either an old book illustration or a vintage catalogue page, but I've not been able to find it yet. It is either one of the many ingenious old types of patent anti-kink leads for spinning, or perhaps a lead for converting a standard float tackle into a running float ledger - but until I rediscover the old illustration I can't be certain which!

IMG_20200808_125422.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Yesterday 13:35

John Milford wrote:
I've managed to add a couple of 'Capta' leads to my glorious collection of interminable tat! :grin: They cost me about the same as new leads.

The biggest one is a substantial 2 1/2 oz.

The 'wine gum' shaped lead that came with them was a bonus - and a puzzle! It can be clipped onto the line (or taken off) without breaking down the tackle, which I'm sure is what the patent stamped on it is for.

I've seen one before, in either an old book illustration or a vintage catalogue page, but I've not been able to find it yet. It is either one of the many ingenious old types of patent anti-kink leads for spinning, or perhaps a lead for converting a standard float tackle into a running float ledger - but until I rediscover the old illustration I can't be certain which!

IMG_20200808_125422.jpg
:thumbs: